Any suggestions on how to get to sleep?

Options
jenzie06
jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
edited 5. Dec 2008, 13:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
Just had another really crappy night sleep. I've got a cold too, which isn't helping as I swing from the shivers to the sweats throwing the covers all over the place. I was awake from about 12. At 2am I thought it must be nearly morning so I was going to go on the sofa and give my poor partner a break. When i found out the time I thought I'd better stay in bed.
Every time I move in bed I'm in a lot of pain even though I'd taken 30mg Amitrip (which usually knocks me silly) and 60mg codeine which didn't even touch the pain. I ended up putting my tens machine on again but the battery died about 4.30am.

Anyone got any ideas? Feel like a complete zombie today and extremely emotional (found myself crying to songs - what a wimp), I know its mostly due to lack of sleep.

I'm desperate for suggestions!

Comments

• eugeneg
    eugeneg Member Posts: 36
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    jenzie06 wrote:
    Just had another really crappy night sleep. I've got a cold too, which isn't helping as I swing from the shivers to the sweats throwing the covers all over the place. I was awake from about 12. At 2am I thought it must be nearly morning so I was going to go on the sofa and give my poor partner a break. When i found out the time I thought I'd better stay in bed.
    Every time I move in bed I'm in a lot of pain even though I'd taken 30mg Amitrip (which usually knocks me silly) and 60mg codeine which didn't even touch the pain. I ended up putting my tens machine on again but the battery died about 4.30am.

Anyone got any ideas? Feel like a complete zombie today and extremely emotional (found myself crying to songs - what a wimp), I know its mostly due to lack of sleep.

Hi Jenzie,

My sleep pattern has been breaking up recently. I think this is due to my Fibro no longer being under control, I take Dosulepin nightly. Up until recently I was sleeping all night through. What I tried to do was to get a regime going (sad isn't it!). I would take my hit of Dosulepin, do my nightly stretching exercises, then have a hot bath (being careful not to fall asleep in it!), then another hit of Co-Dydramol and then bang, I was gone!

I hope you get some sleep soon (I mean a regular pattern). There is nothing worse than being extra exhausted on top of what you have along with the pain.

Eugene.

I'm desperate for suggestions!
  • tjenny54321
    tjenny54321 Member Posts: 64
    Options
    Have you tried herbal remedies? I like The large pharmacy sleep pillow room mist, its Lavender but also if not disturbing anyone listen to an audio book. If you can take your mind off the frustration of not being able to sleep you might just drop off. It works for me bt I find it annoying as then I want to find place in audio book where I dropped off. The library has some - they should be free, like ours. Also there is a service called Listening books which you pay a charge, maybe ok if you thoroughly enjoys this idea. Alternatively the worlds favourite bargain auction site. Hope this helps. Good luck
  • airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579
    Options
    Hi,
    I have used my own technique for many years, sometimes I just can't relax, mind is racing and the cycle of tense muscles, fatigue and pain are with me, sleep is not on the horizon.

I have a sound in my memory, it is the on/off switch from my grans old radio (heard many times as a youngster) and it makes a certain 'click' when turned off. As I hear the sound, my mind goes black, there is nothing there, no thoughts, no images, no other sounds, only the dark and I can gently float in to the darkness, my eyelids feeling heavy and I feel myself falling asleep with no other thought but this.

I am quite good at it now and can even relax and fall asleep during the day. No doubt you can think of your own? Other factors help, warmth, comfort, steady breathing etc etc. These are just techniques that all can learn. Put distraction techniques and guided imagery in to Google.

Have fun. 8)