Xmas idea

Options
susan_77
susan_77 Member Posts: 2
edited 5. Dec 2008, 04:41 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum...so hello there!!

I am looking for a xmas present for my mum, she has hinted that she would like to ride a bike again, however feels nervous about being able to use the breaks/handlebars due to her arthritis in her hands , does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Many thanks in advance for any help anyone can give and season greetings to you all! sue

Comments

• livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sue

I have sent you a Message on alternative braking systems. If you take a printout with you to any bike shop they should know about these or where they may be available.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,429
    Options
    Hi Sue
    Season's greetings to you too.
    Lovely daughter
    :) Toni x
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    Options
    Hey Toni,

Do we take it from your comment that Sue77 is your daughter??
    How lovely of her to think of getting advice here!! You ain't getting a surprise for Christmas now though!!!

Take care Toni and lovely daughter sue77

Kate xx
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi, just wanted to welcome you to the forum, your mum has a very caring daughter love jaspercatxxx
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    susan_77 wrote:
    Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum...so hello there!!

I am looking for a xmas present for my mum, she has hinted that she would like to ride a bike again, however feels nervous about being able to use the breaks/handlebars due to her arthritis in her hands , does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Many thanks in advance for any help anyone can give and season greetings to you all! sue

Hi sue, i know it may not be the ansewr your looking for but what about a mobility scooter, that way she can get out and about. They dont have brakes the stop by themselves "stop on a tanner" an old saying. I have RA all over hands are really bad so i bought a scooter and its fantastic.
    Colin
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    a friend of mine has arthritis badly in her hands.

She has had numerous modifications made to her bike - including special brakes that need less pressure to apply them, moving the gear-changing mechanism to the side which is more easily used, and bigger grips to help her keep her hands comfortable.

All this has been done by a local bike shop where they sell bikes and do repairs. They listen to what her problems are and then come up with suggestions, they sort out what they think is best and then try it out.

I am sure if you can find a good local supplier that they will ahve some suggestions for how your mum can be helped.

good luck!!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,429
    Options
    katekelly wrote:
    Hey Toni,

Do we take it from your comment that Sue77 is your daughter??
    How lovely of her to think of getting advice here!! You ain't getting a surprise for Christmas now though!!!

Take care Toni and lovely daughter sue77

Kate xx
    Hi Kate
    no she's not mine (mine wouldn't think of me :( only joking they are too young yet) BUT she is a lovely daughter to try to get something so appropriate for her Mum isn't she?!
    Take care
    Toni x