jaw surgery

Options
susbrick22yahoocouk
susbrick22yahoocouk Member Posts: 21
edited 6. Dec 2008, 20:14 in Living with Arthritis archive
please can anyone give me any advice about TMJ surgery what its like afterwards. My consultant has said to use it as a last resort, I have limited mouth opeening, probs with chewing hard foods.
I dont want surgery if I can help it
thanks
sue

Comments

• magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Sue,
    I've got TMJ dysfunction and now OA of jaw(both sides). I've been given a splint to wear at night, it's okay but some mornings it's on my pillow when I wake up. I must take it out in my sleep! I'm finding the pain is easing but I've also started anti-inflamms for my aches/pains everywhere else so I don't know if it's them easing the pain? When really bad I can hardly open my mouth and now avoid certain foods. It's a bummer cos at xmas, we get lots of sweets from the wards( I work in NHS) and today there were 2 massive tins of TOFFEES!!!!!! I could have cried :(
    My dentist has told me even with the OA, there is no need for any operations on jaw but there a couple of peeps on here who have had surgery. At the moment, I'm not going to think about surgery. If the time comes for that then so be it. Don't worry, as your dr said-surgery is a last resort. Hope this helps and you can ask me anything you want. Take care,
    Magenta x
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    magenta wrote:
    Hello Sue,
    I've got TMJ dysfunction and now OA of jaw(both sides). I've been given a splint to wear at night, it's okay but some mornings it's on my pillow when I wake up. I must take it out in my sleep! I'm finding the pain is easing but I've also started anti-inflamms for my aches/pains everywhere else so I don't know if it's them easing the pain? When really bad I can hardly open my mouth and now avoid certain foods. It's a bummer cos at xmas, we get lots of sweets from the wards( I work in NHS) and today there were 2 massive tins of TOFFEES!!!!!! I could have cried :(
    My dentist has told me even with the OA, there is no need for any operations on jaw but there a couple of peeps on here who have had surgery. At the moment, I'm not going to think about surgery. If the time comes for that then so be it. Don't worry, as your dr said-surgery is a last resort. Hope this helps and you can ask me anything you want. Take care,
    Magenta x

Hi Guys i have RA in the jaw and at times its really bad and i live on soup or rice pudding. Anyway i had to get a tooth out last year, that was no problem but when he started to extract it wow the pain. After some swearing and grabing him by the writs he calmed me down but it did get to about round 4 before he got the bugger out. I never was to keen on going to the dentist but now god knows. I only know that with being on all these drugs for so many years my teeth and gums are not what they used to be.
    Colin