just a few thoughts on osteo and exercise

Options
nickynysmon08
nickynysmon08 Bots Posts: 111
edited 12. Dec 2008, 08:17 in Living with Arthritis archive
I saw the doctor a few days ago, a new chap, youngish and fully up to date about arthritis. I asked him for some diclofenic which he was only too happy to give me on a repeat prescription. what a relief!!!!
one of the things I am finding is a sort of self censorship has begun to set in. whilst i am very passionate about walking, I am finding that since my last flareup has died down, and not wanting it to happen again, I am beginning to censor myself as to how much actual exercise I do. now I am asking myself if this is to do with fear of the inflammation in my knees and paying due respect to ones body, does any one else have this attitude? the problem is if we fail to exercise as we used to the joints eventually seize up, and it is knowing just how much activity to do without causing a flare up again - or should we simply go on as normal ignoring the arthritis?
one question I seek an answer to is the prognosis for osteoarthritis. being 54 years old which is still young, and assuming one has to live another thirty years, the prospects can sound fearsome. any comments please??

Comments

• mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I saw the doctor a few days ago, a new chap, youngish and fully up to date about arthritis. I asked him for some diclofenic which he was only too happy to give me on a repeat prescription. what a relief!!!!
    one of the things I am finding is a sort of self censorship has begun to set in. whilst i am very passionate about walking, I am finding that since my last flareup has died down, and not wanting it to happen again, I am beginning to censor myself as to how much actual exercise I do. now I am asking myself if this is to do with fear of the inflammation in my knees and paying due respect to ones body, does any one else have this attitude? the problem is if we fail to exercise as we used to the joints eventually seize up, and it is knowing just how much activity to do without causing a flare up again - or should we simply go on as normal ignoring the arthritis?
    one question I seek an answer to is the prognosis for osteoarthritis. being 54 years old which is still young, and assuming one has to live another thirty years, the prospects can sound fearsome. any comments please??
    hi,im only 41 with o/a,so feel very wearry of the future & what it holds.i have managed after several months seen a different gp,& i told him i was fed up of going down every 2 wks for prescription so got repeats.as for exercise i have physio every 2 wks,my exercise plan is to do at home.i do as much as i feel able to do,asin how im feeling that day.they say use it or lose it..im finding walking difficult as knees are bad,& because i have cervical spondylosis too i cant have a stick cause it will put added pressure on my spine,so i cant seem to win either way. debs
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    hi like you i am 54 , my knees are worn out after working in the cold and damp up down stairs lots of climbing ect , i now find my knees are very sore after walking to far and giving way as if somebody has hit them from the back ,also get a lot of cramp physio said my muscles were week and sorted me out with the right exersizes to strenthen them think it is working slowely as not had as much cramp ,but no change in knees, have you been to physio i found them very good to talk to about it all and whats good and bad just coming to terms to having a stick ,must say i do feel a little more confident with it xx{may}
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    Options
    Hi there I am 53 and have had OA since 1982though only diagnosed 2 years ago the docs agree it has been there, they just didn't call it that. Like Debs due to my neck and shoulders can have no sticks. Neurosurgeon stated arm weakness will be permanent.
    I walk as much as I am able, at least twice a day at my own pace. The problem I have is I get fatigue, I don't know when it is going to happen, just suddenly I am exhausted. However, I believe in the use it or lose it group, as long as they are not...young, very fit, never had a days illness in their lives and believe pain is in the mind....Hm-mm won't tell you how I feel about them :roll:
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    petmad wrote:
    Hi there I am 53 and have had OA since 1982though only diagnosed 2 years ago the docs agree it has been there, they just didn't call it that. Like Debs due to my neck and shoulders can have no sticks. Neurosurgeon stated arm weakness will be permanent.
    I walk as much as I am able, at least twice a day at my own pace. The problem I have is I get fatigue, I don't know when it is going to happen, just suddenly I am exhausted. However, I believe in the use it or lose it group, as long as they are not...young, very fit, never had a days illness in their lives and believe pain is in the mind....Hm-mm won't tell you how I feel about them :roll:

Hi, I think you should have a good talk with your doctor re the Phisio. What ever you do you must make sure your not making the OR worse or inflaming it. I suffer with RA and PA so keeping fit is dam near impossible so i diet to keep my weight down and i make sure i walk a shot distance every day or up and down the stairs a couple of times. I worry alot about muscle loss and sizing up altogether because i can'y do much you need to get on the right sort of regime. Take care oh try not to worry to much because the stress doesent help your doctor sounds Ok so chat with him take care
    Colin
  • nickynysmon08
    Options
    just to say thank you and to anyone else offering some perspective on this.
    my attitude now is for a change of mindset in all this. i believe one has to come firmly down to earth. i had a drive out in the sun blessed country around beddgellet, snowdonia yesterday, and thought how nice to do what a group of walkers was doing. I know that walking for me can be like walking with broken glass in my knees, however one puts a brave face on it. I am told glucosomate has a beneficial effect, in rebuilding cartilage, and all these things. in the end my conclusion is we have to live within the bounds of nature. I paint a lot, and seek always new subjects from the landscape, however lack of walking great distances seems not to prevent me finding lovely things to paint all the same without walking over field and moors.
    what i am hoping is this , by resting more than actual walking one helps the joints to mend thus making them more able to exercise but less frequently- a lot but less often perhaps

it is most welcome having all your feedback on this and I hope your own journey has its share of blessings,
    Nick

colinone wrote:
    petmad wrote:

Hi, I think you should have a good talk with your doctor re the Phisio. What ever you do you must make sure your not making the OR worse or inflaming it. I suffer with RA and PA so keeping fit is dam near impossible so i diet to keep my weight down and i make sure i walk a shot distance every day or up and down the stairs a couple of times. I worry alot about muscle loss and sizing up altogether because i can'y do much you need to get on the right sort of regime. Take care oh try not to worry to much because the stress doesent help your doctor sounds Ok so chat with him take care
    Colin
  • 1962sara
    1962sara Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Ummm I found this thread very interesting. There are different views on whether or not to rest or push through - I have also imposed this sort of self-censorship and now my thigh muscles have wasted! I'm closely following all threads about excercise and lifestyle as at 45 I'm not sure how much I need to rest - surely not a huge amount? Wish I could paint - went on a few courses and have all the gear but don't practise. I think Nick may have inspired me to get my brushes out again. Clarinet practise has gone down the pan since my thumb and wrist pain too.

Sara
  • dianel
    dianel Member Posts: 48
    Options
    Hi,
    I have osteo. caused by PA and the question of exercise is one that puzzles me too. I have shoulder and knee problems, but do all the things necessary in the house by working through the pain. I somehow don't think that extra repetitive exercise is a good idea. However, I am concerned about muscle wastage and was wondering if anyone has used one of those machines that exercises the muscles for you - would they work I wonder? Diane.
  • 1962sara
    1962sara Member Posts: 22
    Options
    I used one of those machines before PA but not sure I would be able to get into the positions necessary now - well might get down onto the machine but may be there a while :oops: I've found a theraputic Hatha yoga class so might try that - problem is dragging yourself out to drive to these things after an exhausting day at work isn't it? I'm definitely going to try diet and walking though - I can feel a New Years resolution coming on :wink: I keep reading that we need to get a balance between rest and exercise - anyone found the right balance yet? Can anyone remember how they got started? I want to have a game plan!

Sara
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    I have been told by verious GP's in my pracitce and by the Physio that the secret to exercise is to pace yourself. If I do too much at a time, because I feel fine, I always suffer for it later. Stoping before I reach the fatigue point is best. Good advice but hard to follow! I think its worth trying though. I have OA. Sue
  • nickynysmon08
    Options
    this my current problem, knowing when to stop. i like long walks, but present experience tells me twenty five percent exercise, the rest, rest!!
    this is my good reason to paint now. one has to rest to paint, so i am trying to find the balance. my flare up has died down, but the old knees still feel as though they could go bad at any time. again it is finding the balance

woodbon wrote:
    I have been told by verious GP's in my pracitce and by the Physio that the secret to exercise is to pace yourself. If I do too much at a time, because I feel fine, I always suffer for it later. Stoping before I reach the fatigue point is best. Good advice but hard to follow! I think its worth trying though. I have OA. Sue
  • nickynysmon08
    Options
    have a look at this website and if you really want to paint again why not join them and become a member??? really take your mind of your arthritis
    Nick

http://paintingfriends.com/forums

/index.php
    1962sara wrote:
    Ummm I found this thread very interesting. There are different views on whether or not to rest or push through - I have also imposed this sort of self-censorship and now my thigh muscles have wasted! I'm closely following all threads about excercise and lifestyle as at 45 I'm not sure how much I need to rest - surely not a huge amount? Wish I could paint - went on a few courses and have all the gear but don't practise. I think Nick may have inspired me to get my brushes out again. Clarinet practise has gone down the pan since my thumb and wrist pain too.

Sara
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    hi
    i m younger than you and yes, i do self censor ie.pace myself...e.g too much walking would set things off........on the other hand i hadnt been to the gym for a few weeks and hips started to hurt so i know i need to do gentle exercises to get the muscles all going. Tomorrow i am seeing a personal trainer. i have avoided this offer for ages but as they said they would show me exercises for stomach but without causing problems with my back i am going to give it a go. i have told them straight!! i am not superwoman and wont be doing what i see other people do with the trainers - they usually look like its killing them, not me :D
  • mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    Options
    oneday wrote:
    hi
    i m younger than you and yes, i do self censor ie.pace myself...e.g too much walking would set things off........on the other hand i hadnt been to the gym for a few weeks and hips started to hurt so i know i need to do gentle exercises to get the muscles all going. Tomorrow i am seeing a personal trainer. i have avoided this offer for ages but as they said they would show me exercises for stomach but without causing problems with my back i am going to give it a go. i have told them straight!! i am not superwoman and wont be doing what i see other people do with the trainers - they usually look like its killing them, not me :D
    dont know if it helps any1 with o/a i have exercise sheets from my physio/low impact exercises.if it would help any1 i could email them to u.pm me with email address & i'll send u 1.
  • airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579
    Options
    Hi,
    Yes, you will need to censor your activities, you only have one body! I am 53 with OA and can't have replacement bits, so I do not 'exercise' as such. I have found that any work or exercise I do comes back and bites me! However, the thought of not doing any is worse, no good feelings from using muscles, sat in a chair, yuk!

I avoid all heavy work and leave out the repetitive type of use of my joints, even typing. I have to accept that my life has changed, no one will employ me but I am now a volunteer, I can't ride my big heavy 1000cc motorbike, so I brought a smaller lighter one, I can't use the trailer winch so am fitting an electric one. I can't do all the garden so ask my wife and kids to........no that doesn't work either!!!!!

Having said all the above, you still need to, as Churchhill put it, 'keep buggering on', just gently and not so often! Do things that you know you can do, if you normally walk for 30 mins, now walk for 15, have a rest and walk 15mins back etc etc. Just means you adapt and change rather than stop.

Cheers
    M 8) its a grin not a grimace......
  • huddylion
    huddylion Member Posts: 3
    Options
    I find that swimming twice a week is a good way to stop you to keep yourself mobile, fully supported in the water is great for me and about the only exercise i can do, i'm on a council run schem called PALS, Here in Huddersfield, subsidised rates so nice and cheap and you aremonitered as well ,lots of things you can do if you are able, all i can do is the swimming though.
  • greyheron
    greyheron Member Posts: 167
    Options
    Hello everyone

I've found this thread really interesting as I'm currently struggling with getting the right balance between rest and exercise after having a knee replacement op for OA. I was keen to 'get going' and started to make a good recovery, then (with hindsight) walked too far on two consecutive days and my knee flared up - hot, swollen and painful. I phoned the physio who said I'd been 'overdoing it' but the problem is how do you know this until it's too late?

Someone earlier in the thread spoke of thigh muscles 'wasting', I had this problem at one stage but did exercises as recommended by a physio and improved significantly. So it's never too late!

Good luck to all of us trying to find that elusive balance!

Wendy