Does this ring a bell with anyone else?

Options
1962sara
1962sara Member Posts: 22
edited 12. Dec 2008, 16:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
Went to the town centre yesterday to mooch around the Xmas markets. I knew it would be physically challenging but was prepared for that. What I am noticing is that, not so much outside, but inside big stores and supermarkets I feel overwelmed. I think it may be because I'm slower than 6 months ago when I was well and I now feel as though everything is zooming passed me - even the surrounding noise seems to merge and I can't make one sound out from another. I've never had panic attacks as I'm usually a very confident person but at one point I almost phoned my O/H to come and rescue me! Does anyone else have this feeling - if so how do you get over it? I can't tell anyone because some will think I'm daft and others, family, will try to overprotect me and follow me everywhere! Any coping strategies anyone?

Sara

Comments

• dianel
    dianel Member Posts: 48
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Yes it does. I know exactly what you mean and I think you'll find it's a sort of panic attack. I've had them for years accompanied by sweating, and only recently realised that it was probably part of the onset of the PA. I didn't go to the doctor about it because I felt I would be offered tranquilisers or whatever.
    The only advice I can give is to go with it - if you know what I mean - and realise that the feeling will go away after a few minutes. I'm positive it's all part of this terrible disease. All best wishes Diane.
  • 1962sara
    Options
    Thanks Diane
    It really helps to know it's 'normal' for us. Hopefully it will get better with experience of PA. I'm fairly new to this. Determined not to change my lifestyle too much.

Sara
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    Hi Sara

It sounds as if you may have tried to do too much in one go. Learning to pace yourself is never easy. :?

As you have most likely slowed down due to your illness, then the rest of the world appears to speed up and flies past. It takes getting used to, but I hope that it becomes OK for you. If its daft to be ill then join the rest of us, but don't be afraid to ask for help from people.

In supermarkets I always take a trolley and if it becomes a bit much, I head for the pet food section as for some reason this tends to be quieter than the rest. Then just lean on the trolley quietly for a few minutes to relax. :D

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    Options
    Hi Sara, I also have similar problems, I think we have slowed due to our illnesses, I know I was shocked when one day I thought I was doing very well when walking the dogs, this was spoiled when two elderly women, I know they are over 80, passed me laden with full shopping bags.

I feel that rather than taking a panic attack I tend now to be aware of my own vulnerability. I hurt so much when someone either pushes part me or bumps me with their trolley that I am tense and unhappy when they are rushing round about me.

I shop mid week to avoid the rush times, I can then go about the store enjoying the experience without stress. We went to Tesco today, I needed potato flour to groom my dogs white bits. Never again until the Xmas rush is over, it was madness. I did my Xmas shopping early as though I would be in hospital this month...thank heavens I did.

Hope you find a time when your shops will be quiet enough to be pleasurable Sara. Linda
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    I find this a problem. Its not so bad in the local small town with just a few shops, but the last time I went into the city I started to worry that I wound'nt be able to walk back to the car, as my back was hurting and it was so far away and the crowds kept pushing past - I thought I would be pushed over. I only go now if I've got someone with me and its so annoying, having to ask. It also makes me very tired and frankly not worth the effort as I have to drive 15 miles :? The down side of living in the countryside. Sue
  • 1962sara
    Options
    'As you have most likely slowed down due to your illness, then the rest of the world appears to speed up and flies past.'

Joseph, this was amazing for me to read - it's exactly how I feel! I feel really emotional but excited as you all understand exactly EXACTLY how it feels :D Thank you all so very much - I thought I was going completely bonkers but there must be loads of people in that crowd feeling just the way we do.

That's it - I have slowed down and the world appears to be flying by! I have retreated into my comfort zone so much that when I now venture out of home/work the world seems to have changed.

This has made me think that I need to get back out there before the world gets to be a very scarey place indeed! That must be how folks get agrophobic I think don't you?

I feel much more cheerful now, thanks everyone.

Sarax
  • paddythedaddy
    paddythedaddy Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Sara, I can empathise completely. Time was when I could dodge through the crowds in shops, taking pride in my agility and speed.

All too often, now, I feel completely overwhelmed in busy shops, shopping centres or shops. (Funny that I don't feel the same in crowded football grounds, but there you go.) I've been close to panic in these situations and have had to get out into the fresh, empty air. This can be confusing and annoying for people in one's company, and so I've often consequently felt guilty about my reaction.

Before reading this thread, I'd never attributed these feelings to the fact that I've slowed down. Now it makes a lot more sense.

Thanks for bringing up this issue. Hope this thread has been as much help to you as it has been to me.

Cheers
    PtheD
  • 1962sara
    Options
    It's been very helpful Paddy. Maybe I'll have to accept it one day but at the moment I feel motivated to try and speed up again. Going to have to give this a lot of thought and decide on a plan of action. :roll: Another New Year's resolution to add to the list - get faster :!:
    Sara
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    I would say that everything said so far has applied to me one time or another in the last few years. At my worst I couldn't go out of the house on my own because of the panic attacks, but then I gradually got better at managing my way through things.

Some things I did (and still do when I need to) are:

always keeping to the edge of a room full of people.

Always making sure I have an 'emergency exit' worked out if I'm in a meeting or crowd situation (ie: sit at the end of a row; sit near the door; wait until a quieter time)

Take long slow breaths and slowly release them, whilst reminding myself that there is nothing that can harm me & that I know this will be over soon.

Not worrying if I can't face doing something that day, just leave it for a 'better' day when I can face it

hope that helps.
  • luckybug
    luckybug Member Posts: 205
    Options
    My strategy ..............INTERNET SHOPPING, makes life so much easier. xxx
  • ktl297
    ktl297 Member Posts: 50
    Options
    Hi All,

I have experienced really similar things - the panic when you look down the street and see so smany people - it's awful... I think it's because I have so little energy - I can't cope with edging round people and going the long way round to get where I want to be. Also I am scared of people bashing into me and hurting me or of having to queue for ages - standing still is a nightmare for me! Internet shopping is wonderful and I have taken Monday off work to do some shopping, it should be quieter then! I have got some lovely stuff online and it's made me more creative...

Hope you manage to get all your shopping done without too much stress...
    KT