has anyone had a similiar phone call?!

Options
suzster
suzster Member Posts: 1,328
edited 18. Dec 2008, 07:55 in Living with Arthritis archive
last friday my home phone rang, someong from a company with medical in the title, (couldn't understand what he said) said that he'd seen on his notes that i'd been to hospital several times this year and would i like to get my travel costs back and the money for all my time there due to my ill health or accident?! i asked who he was and just kept saying about claiming this money back. i said who from arthur himself!? after all it wasn't an injury it was arthur that took me there!
i was angry as it was one of those solicitor claim type places, so i said i was not interested and put the phone down.
afterwards i thought, where did he / they get my info from?
anyone out there have any ideas?
i will be unimpressed if the hospital pass on details? if not then who?
any help would be much appreciated.
thanks
sue

Comments

• oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    suzster wrote:
    last friday my home phone rang, someong from a company with medical in the title, (couldn't understand what he said) said that he'd seen on his notes that i'd been to hospital several times this year and would i like to get my travel costs back and the money for all my time there due to my ill health or accident?! i asked who he was and just kept saying about claiming this money back. i said who from arthur himself!? after all it wasn't an injury it was arthur that took me there!
    i was angry as it was one of those solicitor claim type places, so i said i was not interested and put the phone down.
    afterwards i thought, where did he / they get my info from?
    anyone out there have any ideas?
    i will be unimpressed if the hospital pass on details? if not then who?
    any help would be much appreciated.
    thanks
    sue

did you get their number..to see if your phone company can advise you as they know scams etc.........
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    Options
    it came up as 'out of area' not sure what that means?
    thanks for replying, if they ring again i'll get details.
    i think they may of rung yesterday when i was out as the same thing was on the phone then.
  • oneday
    Options
    be careful...
    i once answered the phone and it was saying to press this and that button to get info........as i was on internet,probably on this site and a bit miffed the phone had disturbed me i put phone down....but then i wondered what was that all about...saying to press this and that....so i looked at the tel no and phoned my company...they were well aware of it............it was an international call and if i had pressed the buttons it was one where they charge about £15 ie. a scam!
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    oneday wrote:
    be careful...
    i once answered the phone and it was saying to press this and that button to get info........as i was on internet,probably on this site and a bit miffed the phone had disturbed me i put phone down....but then i wondered what was that all about...saying to press this and that....so i looked at the tel no and phoned my company...they were well aware of it............it was an international call and if i had pressed the buttons it was one where they charge about £15 ie. a scam!

Well done One day If you ever recieve a call and your not to sure about it, if they ask you to press any buttons never do it just hang up and report the call to your phone company. It could end up costing you a lot of money. There are lots of scams like this going around at this time of year because people are in more need of cash they tend to just do things and hope for the best. Infact there are warnings about these telephone scams on the net. most of the are from the West Indies. Take care all
    Colin
  • oneday
    Options
    colinone wrote:
    oneday wrote:
    be careful...

Well done One day If you ever recieve a call and your not to sure about it, if they ask you to press any buttons never do it just hang up and report the call to your phone company. It could end up costing you a lot of money. There are lots of scams like this going around at this time of year because people are in more need of cash they tend to just do things and hope for the best. Infact there are warnings about these telephone scams on the net. most of the are from the West Indies. Take care all
    Colin

hi
    the only ones i do know are okay are ones that are like answer phone messages to land line from a mobile but at first i wondered what they were......you have to press buttons tolisten.
  • mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    Options
    oneday wrote:
    colinone wrote:
    oneday wrote:
    be careful...

Colin

hi
    the only ones i do know are okay are ones that are like answer phone messages to land line from a mobile but at first i wondered what they were......you have to press buttons tolisten.
    i went on my money supermarket & registered telephone perference service takes 28 days sould stop the calls.just waiting to see if that works.
  • petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    Options
    I am fed up receiving unsolicited calls, they seem to come at meal times. if I don't know what they are talking about I hang up. If they are legitimate they will call back.
  • oneday
    Options
    mash65 wrote:
    oneday wrote:
    colinone wrote:

Colin

hi
    i went on my money supermarket & registered telephone perference service takes 28 days sould stop the calls.just waiting to see if that works.

i had already done this but the odd one i had was from abroad and our uk providers cant do anything about those.
  • oneday
    Options
    sarahh wrote:
    I had a similar phone call to my mobile this morning but hung up and they haven't rang back since.

Mine was from a woman claiming to be from something like medicare 4 you it sounded similar to and wanted know if I was interested in this medical thing to do with hospital and injuries... so down went the phone and my divert went on.

I'd like to know where they get the phone numbers from.

they may be just ringing made up numbers in the hope someone will answer although seems strange!!!!!!!my ear is itchy, got mp3 playhing with ear thingys.ouch.......quick scratch thats better...whoops, sorry on serious forum,thought i was back on chit chat.
  • tjenny54321
    tjenny54321 Member Posts: 64
    Options
    I was getting calls and rather than hang up straight away I let them rabbit on, sometimes leaving it off the hook and continuing with what I was doing beforehand. It was really annoying me as they kept saying I'd won a holiday bla bla bla. Every few weeks. It was a automated service so I felt this was the only solution. I had also registered with TPS so no joy there. If anyone suffer from nuisance as I did a few years ago which authorities were unable to trace as they were infrequent to make thier own outgoing message on thier answer machine to say "All call are being monitored by local Police station and will be used in evidence" I got neighbour to do the voice. Sure enough the calls stopped.
  • tracys
    tracys Member Posts: 25
    Options
    I have been getting loads of calls from a company called Moneymarket.com - I have ranted down the phone numerous times at the person on the other end of the phone and asked to speak to the manager . Last Friday they called when my husband was in and he basically gave the guy on the end of the phone a right mouthful I was very impressed! Even with the person on the other end of the arguing with him which was ridiculous He then phoned BT we were registered with TPS but this doesnt stop calls coming in from abroad and british law cannot do anything about it. The person he spoke to at BT said these companies normally target an area for 6 - 8 weeks and then move onto another area- the best thing to do is to basically let them rabbit on walk away from the phone they will get fed up doing this - and it costs them-funnily enough since then we havent had a call dont know if they have moved on or if they finally got the message from my hubby- Just one company to watch out for!
  • annic4363
    annic4363 Member Posts: 67
    Options
    Hi there

A tip! Don't forget that as well as registering with the Telephone Preference Service, BT have a nuisance call bureau. If you are a BT customer - and can negotiate their infernal computerised system you can ask to speak to them, If you are getting repeated calls and are concerned they can arrange for a BT operator to intercept all your calls and only put through the genuine ones. This will also allow them to find the nuisances callers who may well be calling from Overseas.

Alternatively, don't be afraid to call your local police about this. I had a charity scam call last year which I reported to the police. They took it seriously and even called back to tell there had been a number of complaints about the organistation concerned and they were starting a criminal investigation.

It sounds dramatic but these types of scam are against the law and the police can only investigate if they know about them!

Chat soon

Annie

x
    x
  • sweenyuk
    sweenyuk Member Posts: 15
    Options
    a lot of these calls are very speculative. They may have got your age off the elctorial role, they may have conned you into registering with an arthritis site, they may have sold you a disability aid in the past. When Vioxx was in the news I was inundated with e-mails and calls, no doubt because I regiister with numerous disability sites. Just never give any personal info to someone who cold calls you (says me who sells powertools through cold calling tradesmen) ask them politley to remove you from their list (they have to comply if asked) and then put the phone down