Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!! im new 2 this forum

Options
bevbodl
bevbodl Member Posts: 8
edited 9. Dec 2008, 10:03 in Living with Arthritis archive
I was reading the topics it is really gud, to know that people are experiencing similar things. I have got RA have done since I was 13 so thats 9 years that I have had it. Its ben a bit of a pain Ive tried everything, methotrexate,hydroxychloriquine, sulphasalazine,leflunomide, Im now gonna start injections tink its the humira one, Im a bit scared bout that and injecting myself, and the side effects. Im alwasy worried about the side effects and 2 top it all off Im in my final year of pharmacy, so all we know is medicines and side effects, so it just puts me off lol, i neva take my medicines as directed I knw thats bad, I mite take half or every other day. I got a question for people gurls in particular, especially those with arthritis in their elbows, do u wear sleeveless dresses? lol , cos one of my elbows is so badly deformed, it looks really unsightly (if thats a word). also heels, how I would love to wear a pair of high stilettos or sumting but alas i cant. and also do any of you worry about the future? and wat it can bring in terms of arthritis and posibly getting worse. and also future prospects of jobs and gettin married and all that, just a thought

Comments

• mrsdalloway2nd
    mrsdalloway2nd Member Posts: 13
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Bev I am 37 diagnosed 13 yrs with RA/PA. As far as the fashion tips go I would suggest some of the nice tunic boho tops maybe with batwing sleeve that just skim your elbow. Also the shoes I don't have a problem with stillettoes as couldn't walk in them before diagnosis so no chance now! But have you thought about wedge heel? give you the height and more supportive. ooh get me sound like a right fashionista! As regards relationships and marriage etc. you might be in a slightly better position as whoever you meet will accept you and arthur, whereas I had been with my hubby 7 years before I was diagnosed. Without sounding all mothery you need to get into habit of taking your meds properly otherwise you adding to the damage. Hope some of this helps x
  • piratequeen
    piratequeen Member Posts: 13
    Options
    First of all, Hello and welcome!!
    Im 21, had RA since I was 13, just like you Im due to start humira but have decided to postpone it for a year as I'm in my final year at uni (studying psychology) However thats only because I had really nasty reactions to all previous medication and despite my consultants reassurance I don't fancy wasting the last 4 years of my life because I mess up my final year. Fashionwise, I'm one of those 'don't give a damn what people think' so even though my knees look quite vile (if I'm honest) I wear short skirts or shorts etc because I want to! So long as its comfortable I don't care. So my advice to you, would be if you want to wear a sleeveless dress, go for it. So long as you feel comfortable. Heels sadly are a no go with me, due to the knees but for a while I did find wedges ok, so you could give them a go.
    I think, no matter what age you are having arthritis makes you worried about the future. I don't know if you can do this, but at my university there is a careers advice centre and I went to talk to them regarding employment and disablity and they were really helpful, giving my advice on how to tell my employers, what rights I am entitled to etc. I don't know if your uni has anything like that?
    Don't know if any of that was useful? SOrry for going on so long.
  • bevbodl
    Options
    Hi guys

your comments have really helped, thank you for taking time out to write something

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I'm a loooot older than you :shock: , but I have a large scar down the centre of my tummy, and I've had it for a long time. When it was new, for the frist 2 years I would'nt wear a bikini, or let anyone see it other than my sister and my husband, then a my husband refered to it as my winning battle scar and how it made him grateful to see it and know that I had been so ill, but I'm alive. Since then I've worn a bikini in public and don't care if kids comment on the scar. I don't know if this makes sense and I know you're a young, but I wasn't very old when I started showing it. Can you look on your arm as a mark of you courage? Then you may be happier wearing what you like - sleeves or not - I hope this is OK and at least gives you something to think about. Love Sue Xxx
  • bevbodl
    Options
    thanks sue, i appreciate your comment :D
  • cornishman
    cornishman Member Posts: 34
    Options
    Hi Bev

I have RA (Rhuemotoid Arthritis) I take Enbrel (v.similar to Humira) because they are both anti-tnf drugs. I have been on it since May 2008 and its working really really well for me, before Enbrel I was in a real state of chronic pain and nothing including the drugs you have tried got near the pain, i was in a horrible way and my future was incredible bleak. I have experienced no side effects associated with Enbrel (anti-tnf) and what a relief that is to say! It worked for me after only 7 days....just an incredible turn-around that changed my life back to some normality. As far as needles go I always hated them but TNF needles are so tiny and small you hardly feel it and you are trained by nurses who help you get good at it, believe it or not i never dread the day (once a week) when I have to inject myself, I look fwd actually because I know the treatment works for me and keeps my Rhuemotid Arthritis locked up and allows me to live again. When I had the chance to get Enbrel threw the NHS I grabbed at that chance because many many RA sufferers swore it had changed their lives, I so wanted that for myself, was really scared yet another treatment wouldnt work and the needle thing would be a nightmare every week.................it wasnt and I am so much better. Good luck with your decisions Bev, remember if Humira does not work try another tnf-treatment such as Enbrel (Etanercept)

Kind Regards, David
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,476
    Options
    Hi!
    Welcome to the forum! This is a GOOD place to be full of lovely people with lots of very good advice :)
    Good luck on the humira - I hope it works for you.
    As far as what to waer i agree with others - wear whatever you d**n well like and knickers to everyone else!! I love my heels too :( I just save them for special occaisions and try to sit down all the time!
    Take care
    Toni x