Why did I have to get hysterical before something was done?

Options
mrsdalloway2nd
mrsdalloway2nd Member Posts: 13
edited 8. Dec 2008, 16:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi sorry just wanted a rant. Went to rheumy monitor last Friday and had intended to sit and confidently state what I wanted from my next doc appt. However, did not go to plan and ended up in tears blubbing that didn't feel like I could cope anymore and actually had one night where my foot was so bad that I could quite happily have hacked it off! Have had flare up since Feb this year esr is averaging in 50's every blood and they don't seem to be bothered. Joints now going are both shoulders, feet and left knee, right was tkr 2 years ago. Nurse got me straight in to see doc who wanted to take me onto ward and pump me full of steroids and do full exam of joints. Can't do that because of kids and Xmas coming so agreed to day on day case unit for prodding and poking but my point is why did I have to get hysterical for them to recognise what was wrong when previously I had been telling them quite calmly. Sorry apologies for this being a long rant just annoyed and waiting for call to go in. Thanks for listening.

Comments

• piratequeen
    piratequeen Member Posts: 13
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hey!
    Ranting is fine, feel free. Sadly sometimes getting hysterical works. I ended up doing it earliers this year. I sort of just burst into tears in my consultants office and said I couldn't deal with the pain anymore. Immediately I'm offered several health choices and as a result have gained more control.
    Its sad and silly that in order to be listened to, we have to 'get hysterical' but I guess it can be hard to understand just how much pain someone with arthritis can be in. If we acted like 'normal' people then we would stay in bed all day and cry due to pain but we have to get on with things. Sometimes the only way people can understand is if we have a proper hysterical fit.
    Best of luck with your monitoring, hope everything gets better soon and you can enjoy a nice pain free xmas
    :)
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi, don't worry about having a rant we all do it now and again, I know where you are coming from, I have been telling my Rheumy that my hands are painful for over a year even though my ESR is down, she finally is getting x-rays done. I hope that you are feeling better and that they continue to sort things out for you love Jaspercatxxx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, So sorry you've had such a rotten time. Perhaps, showing your feelings was needed to let them know just how bad things have got. Sadely, sometimes being resonable makes people think you're copeing when you're not! I agree, it would be a bad time of year to go into hospital, especially with kids to worry about, but I hope they are able to help you feel better. Love Sue xxx
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    Options
    hi, just thought i'd let you know you really aren't alone.
    i seem to burst into tears at the drop of a hat ever since i started with this arthur.
    i'm sure it leaves us all feeling very emotional. i used to be an independant person but now it's a very different story.
    i think my rheumy knows i'm feeling bad if i cry, so she's used to it as are the gp's at my surgery and the nurses to!!!
    i used to hold it in but now everything gets on top of me and there i go again, but i don't think it can be helped, after all we cope with an awful lot don't we.
    sorry, i didn't mean to write so much, i just really understand what you are feeling like!
    sue x
  • magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    Options
    Hello,
    I'm sorry that you were really upset but sometimes that's what dr's need for them to realise that you're wanting to be taken seriously. It's good they're now really trying to help you :D
    A consultant I had years ago-complete and utter b***h made me a wreck everytime I seen her. It was frustration with her not listening to me. She used to tell me I must be depressed but her best retort to my crying was 'Oh for goodness sake, you have no RF factor in your blood (I'm Seronegative-duh!) and there are people sitting outside in waiting room with RF in the 80's-pull yourself together' :x Needless to say, I don't go to that hospital anymore (they actually told me to go away cos they didn't know what was wrong with me!)
    We can only struggle on for so long before one day, something snaps and the emotions flood out. I can't count how many times I've done this and I'm sure there's plenty more to come :D Hope things get better for you,
    Magenta x
  • 1962sara
    1962sara Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Seems we are all alike - maybe the crying thingy is a symptom? I cried last week with the Rhuemy (poor guy didn't know what to do - started to shuffle the papers on his desk and fill in piles of test forms to get me out quick) and then I started again with the blood nurse :oops: Had to then walk through the hospital to X-ray with everyone looking at me :roll: Don't worry Mrs D - perhaps we all have the same rhuemy so he'll be used to it by now :D

Sarax