Paniful hands

Options
woodbon
woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
edited 11. Dec 2008, 06:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
2 weeks ago I had my second cortisone injection in 2 months for carpel tunnel syndrome. After recovering from the injection, my symptoms seemed a lot better, but now I am getting them back again, I know the rheumy says I also have oa in them, but my left hand which is my most painful hand is really quite sore and clummsy I also have a painful neck with oa. I don't want to go back to my GP as I only went the week before last :? last night I woke up with my left hand curled up and it took a few mins before I could straighten it. My little fiinger doesn't want to bend, but it will if I try. It just likes to stick out :| and the back of my hand is a bit numb. Could this be from the injection, oa or carpel tunnel? I suppose the joys of cold, damp weather, ahhh! Just looking out of the window is quite depressing as the road is covered in mud from the fields. Even the cats wont go out - they've got more sense. Still my sore hands do annoy me and I dropped a glass of cold water down myself AGAIN... Not my day. Sorry about the moaning :( I think I,m asking too much here, sorry but any ideas welcome :wink:

Comments

• mrsdalloway2nd
    mrsdalloway2nd Member Posts: 13
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sue have you had splints fitted by OH? I have had some bionic hands made which are moulded to fit your own hands and are held on by velcro. Believe it or not they are ok to sleep in you get used to them after a bit (also useful for whacking the other half when he snores! :lol: ) They are a life saver for me when my hands are bad at night as they keep them still while sleeping also when you first put them on they are nice and cool. Hope this helps x
  • 1962sara
    1962sara Member Posts: 22
    Options
    'I dropped a glass of cold water down myself AGAIN...'

Horrid isn't it - mine is just my left hand and at least I'm right handed. Do you catch you sore hands on door frames or is that just me? :oops: And do you catch it on the bedclothes - ooohh that doesn't half take me by surprise :o Splints sound a great idea - I'm definitely going to ask the physio about it when I go.

sarax
  • petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    Options
    Hi Sue have you had splints fitted by OH? I have had some bionic hands made which are moulded to fit your own hands and are held on by velcro. Believe it or not they are ok to sleep in you get used to them after a bit (also useful for whacking the other half when he snores! :lol: ) They are a life saver for me when my hands are bad at night as they keep them still while sleeping also when you first put them on they are nice and cool. Hope this helps x
    Sue I have OA and my left hand is worse than my right. I recently had a pair of these splints made. Sleep great and my fingers are kept straight, a bit stiff in morning my not as bad as when the were alowed to clench.
    Sara, ouch yes I have this pronlem too, and when my dogs want a cuddle they always seem to bend my hands the wrng way.

Take my advice get the splints. I live alone but can still get them on. I put the left (worse one) on properly. Then velcro the right one loose enough to slip my hand in. It still stays on all night.
  • mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    Options
    petmad wrote:
    Sue I have OA and my left hand is worse than my right. I recently had a pair of these splints made. Sleep great and my fingers are kept straight, a bit stiff in morning my not as bad as when the were alowed to clench.
    Sara, ouch yes I have this pronlem too, and when my dogs want a cuddle they always seem to bend my hands the wrng way.

Take my advice get the splints. I live alone but can still get them on. I put the left (worse one) on properly. Then velcro the right one loose enough to slip my hand in. It still stays on all night.
    iv got physio on fri.& im gonna go mad cause iv been offered nothing,my right hand is really bad esp.since weve had the cold spell.i can hardly walk.cant have walking aids cause of spine probs.so basicly iv just got to get on with it & manage.if i knock my hand which i did yesterday on the sofa it cracked so loud,my o/h turned & said what was that.now it tubigripped up only half its use. im sleeping on a hot water bottle cause of pain in shoulders.shes gonna have a list to deal with on fri,cause im not happy.sorry to moan.iv also got to ask her to sign dla forms,i'll ask that 1st i think..debs
  • woodbon
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I have splints, but I.m not quite sure the are the right type for nighttime. The rhemmy told me to get the OT to fit night splints for sleeping, and when I saw her she gave me the velcro type wrist supports and said they would help the carpel tunnel, which they do. When I worked with disabled people, we used to fit pink plastic ones at night, that our physio made up and they suported the fingers, which the wrist supports don't. I slept in them last night but my fingers still curled up and are sore today. Are the pink plastic ones the type you mean? That seems to make more sense, I think the others are for day support, when I've done too much :? It's my left hand that feels worse, although the tests showed the right one has more nerve damage :wink:
    Love Sue. xxx
  • petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    Options
    Sue, I was told never to sleep in the type you describe. The ones I sleep in are individually made. The OT heats plastic stuff and moulds it to each hand, trimming to fit. It is held in place until it cools and then Velcro is put on. Try to get her to make these for you. Linda
  • magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    Options
    Hiya,
    What Linda describes are the right splints for night -time. I had some made 9yrs ago and they were great for relieving pain. Sadly, lost them when I moved house but I'm waiting for an appt. with OT to get new ones made-yippee!
    Magenta x
  • woodbon
    Options
    Hi, Thanks everyone, I have slept in the wrong type a few times, but then I noticed my hands are more swollen in the morning and the fingers still curl round but take longer to straighten. Also my skin feels sore from the fabric, so I'm not wearing them at night and will go back as I'm sure the rhuemy said night splints. I know what you mean as I've often fitted them on other people! I think the OT was concerned to give me something to rest my hands after the carpel tunnel injections :? Sue