Any advice please?

Options
stephiey
stephiey Member Posts: 61
edited 9. Dec 2008, 18:41 in Living with Arthritis archive
I'm a 16 year old girl, currently studying at college doing my A-levels. I've had JIA since I was 4. I was in remission from the ages of 12-14, since then it hasnt been as bad as it was when I was younger, but they haven't settled me on a particular medication yet.
I've had bad experiences with codeine (swollen mouth) and tramadol (fit/seizure) but recently its been really hard, im suffering quite bad with pain and stiffness and my long socks & thick tights aren't as effective as they used to be when i was at school!

Anyway, enough of the story, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas to why I've been feeling really tired, getting hot flushes, not being able to do as much and crying just out of the blue. I was in a supermarket and started crying and felt so stupid! I haven't been sleeping well at all recently, I have college everyday and am walking round like a zombie all day, then at night I can't sleep, which is why im posting this at 5 past midnight! I really need some advice, if you can help or tell me anything it would be really appreciated! Thanks for reading and listening to me ramble and moan!
Love Stephanie x

Comments

• lesleygraham
    lesleygraham Member Posts: 91
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    stephiey wrote:
    I'm a 16 year old girl, currently studying at college doing my A-levels. I've had JIA since I was 4. I was in remission from the ages of 12-14, since then it hasnt been as bad as it was when I was younger, but they haven't settled me on a particular medication yet.
    I've had bad experiences with codeine (swollen mouth) and tramadol (fit/seizure) but recently its been really hard, im suffering quite bad with pain and stiffness and my long socks & thick tights aren't as effective as they used to be when i was at school!

Anyway, enough of the story, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas to why I've been feeling really tired, getting hot flushes, not being able to do as much and crying just out of the blue. I was in a supermarket and started crying and felt so stupid! I haven't been sleeping well at all recently, I have college everyday and am walking round like a zombie all day, then at night I can't sleep, which is why im posting this at 5 past midnight! I really need some advice, if you can help or tell me anything it would be really appreciated! Thanks for reading and listening to me ramble and moan!
    Love Stephanie x

Hi Stephanie
    Is your college work becoming too much for you? I work in a local college and we offer learning support for learners with disabilities /difficulties. Please see the disability advisor at college as they will be able to offer support and guidance and its also worth telling them about your condition so that they are aware of your difficulties. They may even provide you with a free laptop.
    Is your meds making you feel like this? However, its worth remembering that RA is a painful and chronic illness and I think depression is part and parcel of this condition, I know I certainly get down at times.
    Take care
    Lesley
  • 1962sara
    1962sara Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Hello Steph
    I'm new to all this so you have far more experience than me. However, I do have two girls around your age and I think I'd be encouraging them to take a break. My two don't sleep either and they don't have your pain so it must be much worse for you. They are moody and weepy sometimes too - could it be a teenagery thing on top of everything else? I know what you mean about crying for no reason - I do it in the most riddiculous places lately :oops: Could this cold snap be making you feel worse? Try and take things easy over the Xmas break - homework under the duvet with a cup of hot choccy. If you don't start to feel better than maybe a trip to your GP is in order?
    Love
    Sarax
  • paddythedaddy
    paddythedaddy Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi Stephanie.

Sorry to hear you've been feeling so bad. Personally, I would recommend a visit to the GP, who may be able to offer some advice on what's happening.

Hope you feel better soon.

PtheD
  • stephiey
    stephiey Member Posts: 61
    Options
    Thank you sooo much for the advice, you've really helped me!
    I really appreciate you all replying. Will definately do the things you'll suggested :)
    Thank you so much again!

Love Stephanie x
  • magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    Options
    Hello Stephanie,
    Poor you :( You've had lots of great advice already but I just wanted to say that maybe you need to rest a wee bit more, don't stress about things cos that can give you disrupted sleep-I know it does for me. Hope you feel more normal soon. Have a lovely Christmas :wink:
    Magenta x
  • wallysatt
    wallysatt Member Posts: 87
    Options
    Hi Steph,

I'm sorry to hear you're in a bad way. I have also expierienced some of the problems you've mentioned.

I'm 27 and finished a Masters Degree in May. During my Ba I also had trouble sleeping and cried quite a lot. At the time my rheaumatologist thought it was the drugs I was taking so he took me off one of them. With the support from my family, boyfriend and friends I finished uni and the problems seemed to go away. I have also started back on this drug and I've been fine since. I think it was the stress from the degree that I couldn't cope with, which also affected my arthritis. When I did my masters I took more control. It was a part time course to start with so that helped, but if I couldn't get into uni because I wasn't well I didn't go and I didn't worry about it. You can always catch up and I made sure all my lecturers were aware of what was happening. Let face it, I saw people having time off because they were hung over and it used to annoy me because I knew I'd really struggled to get in.

Its only been recently that I've been getting hot flushes but I always put this down to tramadol but as you can't take this maybe I'm wrong. I also have JIA and have had it since I was 6, so maybe this is the reason for the flushes.

I hope things get better for you soon and I'm sure it will.

Sally.