user friendly jewellery?

Options
janne62
janne62 Member Posts: 2
edited 9. Dec 2008, 17:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello All.
Hope this isn't too trivial a thing to ask. I want to get my Mum something special for Christmas this year. A locket. Now, she has suffered badly with rheumatoid arthritis in the past (not so bad now) but her right hand has some fused bones in it and some movements can be awkward for her. She drives, cooks, all sorts of things, but I'm worried that opening and closing what are usually fiddly fastenings on jewellery chains, will be a struggle for her. I don't want to ask her outright if it will be a big problem as she'll just tell me not to get her anything. (Mums eh?).
Does anyone know of anywhere that I might be able to buy a gold or silver chain that may have a more user-friendly fastening for her?
Many thanks.
Janne.

Comments

• radiogirl
    radiogirl Member Posts: 10
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Have you thought of getting your mum a longer chain that will fit over her head ? The only one I can think of is the one that Peggy Mitchell has in Eastenders !! It is a really long chain with a large locket on, just a thought!!
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi Janne, a good jewellers should be able to supply an easier opening catch for you, so that is a good place to start love Jaspercatxxx
  • melbland
    melbland Member Posts: 36
    Options
    Noooo. What you need is a magnetic jewellery clasp.

You stick it on each end of the necklace but there is a magnet that comes together that clasps the necklace for you.

There's a couple on ebay, but if you google magnetic jewellery clasp you should fine one.

Mel
  • magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    Options
    Hello,
    I agree with Radiogirl about the long chain. Any jewellery I buy (although only accessories for nights out) are always long enough to slip over head.
    Magenta x