Hallo, I'm new

Options
kestrel
kestrel Member Posts: 2
edited 12. Dec 2008, 10:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hallo,
I saw my doctor a couple of days ago about what I had been previously told was Reactive Arthritis (back in July) and he said he thought I have Osteo Arthritis. I have a blood test on Thursday and have been referred for X rays. My reaction was 'but I can't have arthritis, I'm only 51!' I'm not really coping very well with this - it feels as though I have just been told that I am now officially old! I searched out this site and am just beginning to realise that my symptoms are very mild in comparison with what so many of you are going thru. I'm guessing I have a big adjustment to make in my perceptions about this thing. It's just a big shock at the moment. I'm taking diclofenac, which helps, and omeprazole, also got some fish oil capsules. I feel like resorting to wine and chocolate, but that's not really going to help is it?! Trying to talk myself out of this blue mood.....
kestrel

Comments

• fayrose
    fayrose Member Posts: 241
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Ah Kestrel, its a tough thing being diagnosed with arthritis .... but not the end of the world.
    I was diagnosed with RA aged 44, but had been suffering for 4 or so years before that.

There are all sorts of things that can help you, so don't get too downhearted. Keep on at your gp and remember, we are all here to support and back you up.

Best wishes
    Fay xx
  • redpoppy
    redpoppy Member Posts: 108
    Options
    hi kestrel,yes it is a shock when you are first diagnosed,i suppose its the fear of the unknown,i was feeling ill for a long time before i got diagnosed so in a way i was pleased to know there was a reason why i was feeling so ill.ive had PA since i was 29,for 18 years now and im still alive and kicking.well maybe not kicking.lol.unfortunatly arthritis dosent discriminate against age.as you will see on here there are a lot of young people with it and many who have had it a long time.all i can say is you will get a lot of help and encouragement off the people on here.never think your alone.
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    Options
    Hi Kestral,

I was diagnosed with Rhuematoid Arthritis when I was 31 and thought my life was over. It wasn't and there most certainly is life after diagnosis.

Sometimes my mind forgets that i'm errrrrr 44(!), it feels 24 but the body feels 94 hence the confusion!!! What I'm trying to say is what you are going through is 'normal' for someone who is coming to terms with an illness. We've all been there including disbelief, fright and anger. But as sure as the sun will rise in the morning you will get over this 'horrible' stage and learn to adjust.

We are all here for you .

Take care

Kate x
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi Kestrel, I was diagnosed with Ra when I was 37, to me it didn't come too much of a shock, I had been back and forwards to the gp with pains in my hands for months, so I guessed that something was obviously wrong.

I try and stay positive and optimistic, although I was a bit down when I ended up using a wheelchair, but it is just one of those things, I knew things weren't going to improve much, I hope that you have better news once you have had your x-rays love Jaspercatxxx
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    Hi Kestrel

i am younger than you.........brain 19 yrs, body 91 yrs!
  • mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    Options
    oneday wrote:
    Hi Kestrel

same thought as one day. i was diagnosed at 41 with o/a,cervical spondylisis in aug 08.im still & will be for along time coming to terms with all the changes in my life trying to do things differently.i find reading though some of the older posted treads a bit of a help.for 1 nowing ur not alone,with this horrible arthr.others that have been with arthr longer than me have good advice,so post as much as u like the support if not the answers help.good luck.debs
  • oneday
    Options
    mash65 wrote:
    oneday wrote:
    Hi Kestrel

same thought as one day. i was diagnosed at 41 with o/a,cervical spondylisis in aug 08.im still & will be for along time coming to terms with all the changes in my life trying to do things differently.i find reading though some of the older posted treads a bit of a help.for 1 nowing ur not alone,with this horrible arthr.others that have been with arthr longer than me have good advice,so post as much as u like the support if not the answers help.good luck.debs

Hi debs
    peas in a pod hey!! i didnt appreciate when in my twenties, healthy,no problems,slim etc.....having said that...i am going to be working on this!!! i dont look my age but need to loose weight and get back into shape....had a good session with a personal trainer this week who showed me stomach exerecises which i have been unable to do the ones i have been told before as it aggravates my back problem,anyway this trainer was really good....so just need to get brain in gear now...........
  • mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    Options
    oneday wrote:
    mash65 wrote:
    oneday wrote:
    Hi Kestrel

Hi debs
    peas in a pod hey!! i didnt appreciate when in my twenties, healthy,no problems,slim etc.....having said that...i am going to be working on this!!! i dont look my age but need to loose weight and get back into shape....had a good session with a personal trainer this week who showed me stomach exerecises which i have been unable to do the ones i have been told before as it aggravates my back problem,anyway this trainer was really good....so just need to get brain in gear now...........
    agree iwas a biker all my life.only get rid (gpz 500) last yr as thing where stiffening up.never thought it was arthr.have been to amsterdam & back(thats 500miles each way)was really stiff ,carried on working full time, ptu it down to that,now trying to do housework is a fulltime job,takes all wk to do what i used to get done on sat after 40hrs at work. :oops: lucky iv not got weight probs due to the sickness from meds.but slim anyway.always battling to get food to stay down....deb
  • oneday
    Options
    mash65 wrote:
    oneday wrote:
    mash65 wrote:

Hi debs
    agree iwas a biker all my life.only get rid (gpz 500) last yr as thing where stiffening up.never thought it was arthr.have been to amsterdam & back(thats 500miles each way)was really stiff ,carried on working full time, ptu it down to that,now trying to do housework is a fulltime job,takes all wk to do what i used to get done on sat after 40hrs at work. :oops: lucky iv not got weight probs due to the sickness from meds.but slim anyway.always battling to get food to stay down....deb

got tired reading that!!
  • petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    Options
    Hi kestrel welcome to the forum..and to Arthur :)
    I have had the condition, undiagnosed for years, now 53. I hope that you have had an early diagnosis and will recieve good preventative care.

Enjoy the forum. Linda
  • greyheron
    greyheron Member Posts: 167
    Options
    kestrel wrote:
    Hallo,
    I saw my doctor a couple of days ago about what I had been previously told was Reactive Arthritis (back in July) and he said he thought I have Osteo Arthritis. I have a blood test on Thursday and have been referred for X rays. My reaction was 'but I can't have arthritis, I'm only 51!' I'm not really coping very well with this - it feels as though I have just been told that I am now officially old! I searched out this site and am just beginning to realise that my symptoms are very mild in comparison with what so many of you are going thru. I'm guessing I have a big adjustment to make in my perceptions about this thing. It's just a big shock at the moment. I'm taking diclofenac, which helps, and omeprazole, also got some fish oil capsules. I feel like resorting to wine and chocolate, but that's not really going to help is it?! Trying to talk myself out of this blue mood.....
    kestrel

Hi Kestrel

Just to add to what everybody else has said, it is a shock to be diagnosed with OA or RA. I agree with trying to stay as positive as possible but also allow yourself to feel angry or upset or anxious as well because I firmly believe that if we suppress these feelings they come out in other ways including making our joints ache more!. This forum is a great place for expressing all sorts of feelings when it's not always easy to 'burden' family and friends.

Good luck.

Wendy
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I know what you mean, I'm 53, and have osteo. Also, my occy health are thinking of retireing me, but I must admit that my type of job (I'm a care assistant with the elderly, so quite heavy), is the main reason for that. I'm getting used to it, but still feel down sometimes, but thats normal. SUE
  • plmb48
    plmb48 Member Posts: 125
    Options
    everything has been said
    i have had RA for 28 years i only advise getting all the info you can about your condition about drugs and allways remember its your body its not the end of the world just a differentway of living.good luck :):):):)