News today

Options
shezza
shezza Member Posts: 39
edited 10. Dec 2008, 17:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
i watched with interest the lunchtime news on the tv today regarding benefits and going back to work .If you are very disabled (would love to know how they work that one out?) or have a child under twelve months than you are exempt from HAVING to get a job.So thats easy enough for us poor lot who suffer every day with Arthritis if we give birth every year we can stay at home!
How can anyone i.e the so called professionals decide if we are ill enough to need help ..i`m sure none of us `fake` this illness we all have just so we dont have to work.
Sorry if im ranting but i think we all go thru enough daily without someone who has never gone thru what we do deciding our fate
!!!!
Sheila

Comments

• mouseymousey
    mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Shezza, I'm sure you'll get lots of replies to this one. As I understand it, please someone correct me if I am wrong, the exemptions for this are, if you in receipt of DLA or the child is under one. I have a lot of trouble with this coming from a 'Labour' government - but not the place to get on my sopabox and at a time when so many people are losing their jobs.
    The hardest bit is again the public stigma. Again everyone is lumped together. I've had a look at a few places on the internet - and oh dear oh dear...People do not notice a child being abused under their noses but ye gods if someone gets a new Motability car..sorry, I realise that is a very strong comparisson but I'm having a hard time with this too!
    I can't get over how wrong wrong this is - and the harm this will do. How is it fair that one childs mother gets be there, while another's clocks onto doing some **** awful low paid work? What happens the first time the child is ill? Where do the jobs come from? Ok I am walking away from my rant.
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi, I read about this too, if they can find a job for someone who can barely walk and has extreme pain in their hands I will go back to work straight away, seriously though, my Rheumy has already declared that I shouldn't work, and where are all these jobs coming from? there are loads of firms laying off people every day because of this credit crunch, do they really know what they are doing? love Jaspercatxx
  • roczko
    roczko Member Posts: 92
    Options
    I read the following on Nick Robinson's blog on the BBC website: "if someone who was on incapacity benefit doesn't follow the plan they [Jobcentre Plus] helped to draw up will they face sanctions. At first, they'll be given a warning (a kind of benefits yellow card). If that doesn't work those on ESA (the new name for those on IB deemed fit to prepare for work) will be fined £12 for a first offence, £24 for a second and then forced into compulsory work such as digging an old person's garden."

Don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Patrick
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    Options
    roczko wrote:
    I read the following on Nick Robinson's blog on the BBC website: "if someone who was on incapacity benefit doesn't follow the plan they [Jobcentre Plus] helped to draw up will they face sanctions. At first, they'll be given a warning (a kind of benefits yellow card). If that doesn't work those on ESA (the new name for those on IB deemed fit to prepare for work) will be fined £12 for a first offence, £24 for a second and then forced into compulsory work such as digging an old person's garden."

Patrick

Wish I could dig my own garden!!!!
  • shezza
    shezza Member Posts: 39
    Options
    exactly my point
    katekelly wrote:
    roczko wrote:

Patrick

• mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    Options
    shezza wrote:
    exactly my point
    katekelly wrote:
    roczko wrote:

Patrick

i read somewhere that us taking certain meds cant be insured to do certain jobs,by the companies.it would be like taking on a drug addict.i.e couldnt come to work yesterday because my meds cause me to throw up allday/night.didnt sleep last night or night before.can i have a break now boss got to take my meds with food.sorry i feel asleep working boss.im in so much pain can i go home.the list is endless,& ther not excuses,its life with arthr.if thats the case wont get my vote.what do we do????concerned .deb
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Where are the jobs and courses comming from. We are going into a resession and so many people are losing jobs they have done all their lives with very little help avalible to get them back into work.
    The team treating the person who has any kind of disability are fully trained medical professionals they have spent years and years training and gaining experience to do the jobs they do. Will a Jobcentre "Advisor" have medical training than a doctor? I thought only a doctor could make a diagnosis and prognosis? If I were a GP and a non medic questioned my opinion about a patient, I would be a bit annoyed!!!! Help is needed for people to work and train, but treating the disabled as criminials and fining them without any because they are ill comes from another age, surely. Help to stigma. Sue p.s what a rant, and me this morning trying to persude occy health not to retire me. :roll:
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    Options
    sarahh wrote:
    Its rubbish they're living on clouds.

I had one of the arthritis magazines a while ago that had an article about some suit that was available to try out for others to be able to sort of feel the pains and stiffness of one of the types of arthritis. I would love for all these decision makers to try one out for a couple of days straight and see what they come back with then and see how tired and cheesed off they feel?

And Katekelly I've just decided, you're coming to do my front garden, I want it paved so my car can come upto the front door :) Don't worry I have a new body on order for you to try out I'm waiting for it to arrive, I just need a mad scientist to swap your consiousness over into it when it comes.
    What consiousness... a new body would be great... mind you so would a new knee, new shoulder ,new fingers, toes...........
  • petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    Options
    As with most of you I have been employed all my life, this is the 1st time I have been on benefits. Indeed they are holding my job open. Despite this in the 13 months I have been ill I have had to go and explain why I wont require them to help me to pursue training to help me find a job??

My brother had a near fatal heart attack and despite a bypass the left ventricle is severely injured. He suffers from sever stress induced seizures, these only started when he was forced to prove every 3 years that he has not grown another heart and is indeed unable to work.

If all this goes through we will all be in the same state of anxiety!! Linda.