New Mattress help

Options
barbtrev
barbtrev Bots Posts: 9
edited 18. Dec 2008, 07:38 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, barb here!!!

some of you wont know me, but hopefully a lots of the old members are still on here.

I need to get a new matteres for our bed, as you will now Trev has RA and now has been told he has OA too. Great or what????

So does anyone have any info on what sort to get? wehave heard that memory foam can be a bit hot, so dont think thay will be good for him, so now im stuck,

Havent got a lot of dosh either so thats another problem too. but really need to get one.

thanks all, i know you'll all have a good think!

Barb and trev x

Comments

• mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    barbtrev wrote:
    Hi, barb here!!!

some of you wont know me, but hopefully a lots of the old members are still on here.

I need to get a new matteres for our bed, as you will now Trev has RA and now has been told he has OA too. Great or what????

So does anyone have any info on what sort to get? wehave heard that memory foam can be a bit hot, so dont think thay will be good for him, so now im stuck,

Havent got a lot of dosh either so thats another problem too. but really need to get one.

thanks all, i know you'll all have a good think!

Barb and trev x
    hi,have been told latex mattress is cooler but i know expensive.what if u tried memory foam with cotton sheets.thats what iv got.i suffer from hot & cold too!debs
  • barbtrev
    Options
    mmmmmmmmmm ill look into that one thanks, i was told latex can be hot too. im all confused.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I have a memory foam mattress topper. This is about a couple of inches thick. It cost £41 for a king size mattress on Ebay. I also have a memory foam pillow. I have oa in my neck and spine. I find it very comfortable but will admit when I first saw it on the bed it felt so hard I had doubts. I haven't had it in the summer, so can't comment on that. But if you have to get a new mattress, they are expensive. Hope this helps a bit. Sue
  • barbtrev
    Options
    Hi sue,
    we have a "reviver" on top of our's and its suppose to help with "arthur" but now its not doing much, and that cost me £40 out of shoe tailor, its soo difficult.
    barb
  • petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    Options
    Hi Barb and Trev like Sue I have the mattress topper and pillow. Yes they are a bit warmer than plain ones but the comfort out ways any other problem. I have done away with the continental quilt which I found bulky and heavy and have only 2 light fleeces and am comfy and snug.
    The cost is far less than getting a new mattress and finding it is not suitable. Linda
  • mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    Options
    petmad wrote:
    Hi Barb and Trev like Sue I have the mattress topper and pillow. Yes they are a bit warmer than plain ones but the comfort out ways any other problem. I have done away with the continental quilt which I found bulky and heavy and have only 2 light fleeces and am comfy and snug.
    The cost is far less than getting a new mattress and finding it is not suitable. Linda
    makes me want to get job mattress testing at night ah!!!! :lol: mine is a topper cost £100 catalogue best money iv ever spent.debs
  • barbtrev
    Options
    ok thanks everyone ill think ill kook into getting another topper, seems like the cheaper option, and maybe hope for the best that ill win the lottery or somthing, maybe we can all put ourselves forward to be testers for mattresess!! lol would be good :P
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Yes, I love my pillow, and would take it anywhere :lol: the topper is very comfy at the moment and I have it under a cotten mattress protector and fitted sheet! I had a heavy quilt, but changed it for a very light one with a cat at my feet its warm enough!!! Sue
  • avalon
    avalon Member Posts: 13
    Options
    I agree with what's been said !! I got a mattress topper and it's the best thing I ever bought !! I have OA and it's made a big difference!!! Mine has a cotton cover and I can't say it feels any hotter than before I got it !! I can thouroughly recommend one though!!

Janetxx
  • barbtrev
    Options
    thanks everyone you been a big help. ill get looking this week for 1, and then hopfully trev can start getting some sleep.

barb xx
  • renard99
    renard99 Member Posts: 19
    Options
    My word of warning is if you are going for a matress topper go for the most expensive you can afford. I tried being really tight with my money after deciding a whole new matress was too expensive and went out an bought a cheap topper (in order to save even more pennies for the rent). 5 months later it's gone flat in the area I lie in and I'm no longer comfortable on the hard matress that came with the bed.

Good luck with you search for one. Let us know if you find a good one because i'm on the hunt too!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,473
    Options
    This is such an important one really as we spend so much time in bed and need our rest.
    I have to say that rennard is right - don't go for the cheaper options I have tried it too in the past :(
    I have a very good one now, which I tried out in the shop first and would not have been able to afford , but I (sadly) inherited some money when my Mum died last year. I KNOW she would be pleased with what I did with it!
    Good luck and let us know how you get on
    Toni xx