MIGRAINE

Options
miaswe
miaswe Member Posts: 13
edited 6. Feb 2011, 10:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have RA and fibromyalgia and get really bad migraines, I read somewhere that migraine/headaches can be one of the things you get with fibromyalgia, does anyone else suffer with them?

Comments

• vickid
    vickid Member Posts: 12
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi,
    I get awful migraines - at least one a week, so I know how you feel.
    However I have inflammatory arthritis which I don't think is related to my migraines.
    You should try alka seltzers! Best medication ever.
    :]
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    hi i suffer from migrains that can lay me low for a couple of days at a time but as i cant take the sickness aspect of the migrain meds i spend my time in bed in the dark and silence with iced water paresetamol ginger buscuits to nibble on when i am not throwing up ,, dont know if its connected to my oa as i think it only in my knees but as i walk with a wobble and a hobble i suppose it doesent help my posture but its still early days with my diagnosis , but i am going to check out alka seltzer to see if it might help so thanks for the tip ..{mayxx}
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • greyheron
    greyheron Member Posts: 167
    Options
    kaybee wrote:
    Hi

I am going to try the Alka-Seltzer.

I have RA and dont normally have headaches,
    never have had. But on Monday I had a sudden
    onset severe headache and then sickness, diagnosed
    as a viral infection, but I arent so
    convinced about that.

It could be migraine as I still have the headache
    and have been sick again today, so we shall see.

Kath

Hi Kath

I used to get migraine which was partly related to the monthly cycle but which was also food-sensitive. Through trial and error I found that cheese, chocolate and citrus fruit were the main culprits, and I tried to avoid those wherever possible - and it helped. So it might be worth keeping an eye on whether you get migraine after eating certain foods. (Now that I've gone through 'the change' I seem to have virtually 'grown out' of my migraine and can sometimes risk my 'forbidden foods'!)

Hope you can find something to prevent / relieve it as I know how horrible migraine is.

All the best

Wendy
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I've had migraine most of my life. Recently I started having them most days. They would come on during the night and wake me up. At the same time I started getting pain in my neck, which the mri showed up as oa. A physio suggested changing to one pillow, so I've got a memory foam one and it helps a lot with migraine and neck pain. My mri showed a slight compression of a blood vessell, caused by my oa which could be the reason for increased headaches. Dont no if this is any help to you. SUE
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    I do get classical migraines with the aura and everything. But I found that the headaches in the night are just the same and my GP said that position of the neck effects blood flow, which can also be a cause fo migraine. So altering your pillow may be worth a try. It hasn't completly stoped my migraines but helps a bit! Suexx
  • miaswe
    miaswe Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Thank you all for your very interesting replies, i've had Migraines all my life and they faded out as I got older, but recently they have returned much more frequently, as well as F/myalgia I also have RA and OA in my neck which causes much pain so maybe as someone said its my neck that's causing the increased M's. I'm going to ask my GP/Rhm for a neck scan, meanwhile going to try one pillow as I have them more in the mornings too. I've not eaten chocolate, cheese, or oranges for about 30 years because of M's so I don't think its my diet. Thanks again.
  • jocor
    jocor Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I also suffered from migraines, and used to take migraleve. I have no idea what the triggers were, I have also fitted some [deleted advertising link] light bulbs in the areas where I read or work on the PC. I have also started keeping a food diary as my GP said it might be food related. The full spectrum bulbs have helped I think, I won't be happy if the GP tell me to stop eating cheese ......... mmmmm cheese LOL

Link deleted as it is against the house rules
    YEH
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,471
    Options
    Hi Mia

I too get migraine - have had them all my life and eaten ebverything like you and no trigger from foods.

Migraines often do improve with age and apprently can return with a bit of a vengence with age (40's plus in women) sounds about right as last summer I had a four day viual aura!!

The worst thing is my eldest daughter (15) has inherited them and is prone to very scary hemiplegic migraine. No food triggers there, but possible stress and tiredness ones and hormones too maybe.

Good luck and please do let us know how it goes for you.

Love

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh frog, aren't you a sweetie? This thread (last post dated December 08) was resurrected by someone selling lightbulbs, there was no genuine interest, methinks. I wondered if you would spot it tho, as I know you are prone to them. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben