BACK AGAIN AFTER A 'DOWNTIME'

Options
greyheron
greyheron Member Posts: 167
edited 15. Dec 2008, 10:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone

I've been away from the forum for a while cos I was feeling a bit down and didn't feel I could say anything helpful to anyone else so didn't feel it was fair just to post with my woes.

It's now just over 5 weeks since I had my knee replacement. I went great guns in the early days and was walking confidently with just one stick within a week of the op.

Early days at home were OK apart from broken nights due to pain / spasms in the knee. I was doing my exercises regularly and felt I was making good progress.

I started going out for walks and that's where the problems started - I 'overdid it' and my knee flared up (swelling, heat, pain). I phoned my hospital physio and she recommended cutting back on the walks and the exercises, and doing lots of 'icing' until the knee settled down.

But it's really knocked my confidence. Every time my knee starts getting warm I worry that it's all going to go wrong again. When I get pain, I worry that I'm going to be one of the TKRs that 'fails'.

Also I seem to be on a plateau in terms of improvement to my mobility, knee bending etc. - though that may be because I made such good progress initially.

I wondered about seeing my GP or if my consultant would see me sooner but then I worried that they would think I was making a fuss about nothing so I didn't. I spoke to NHS Direct but they were hopeless.

I see the consultant next week so if he's pleased with me then I know I'll feel better in myself. And I know it's normal after surgery to have 'down times' but they are hard to cope with.

Sorry, this has turned into a long moan but I do feel better for sharing these thoughts (I always feel the pressure to 'be positive' for family and friends).

And it's good to be back on the forum, I've posted a few replies on different threads and won't stay away for so long again!

Best wishes to all

Wendy

Comments

• gemmapetken
    gemmapetken Member Posts: 263
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Wendy
    I cant say anything about your knee except just keep going! but i can sympathise with you about being positive for friends and family! Its hard when sumtines you dont say what u feel because you feel you need to be positive.

Good luck and big hugs
    Gemma
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,471
    Options
    Hi Wendy
    I think you're doing really well.
    I also think they make the apt with surgeon at 6 weeks because that's when you start to feel a good bit better - so maybe , just maybe, you'll feel a bit better next week :) Ihope so
    Good to have you back!
    Toni xx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Dear Wendy :D

It is good to see you back on here and thank you for your warm message on my posting on the chit-chat zone.

Please do try not to become despondent regarding your knee. You did do fantastically well after the op and I am sure all will be well. This is just a blip.

I hope you are reassured at your appointment with the consultant this coming week. I suffered with lots of pain and discomfort for weeks and weeks although I had the mobility.

The consultant emphasised that it was a major operation and would take a year before things settled down, even longer. I am that much ahead of you with the op and I must say that all is good most of the time and I have no regrets at having gone under the knife. As the consultant said, it will never be as good as your original knee, there is a lump of metal and plastic in there now.

Sometimes the knee plays up, for no reason in particular, but then it goes again. It is still heaps and heaps better than it was before. I never take painkillers for the knee and the scar is hardly noticeable. It was difficult for me to believe the consultant all those months ago but he was right.

Have trust my lovely,

Keep in touch,

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • claregood1
    claregood1 Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Hi Wendy,

I can so sympathise with you! I'm now three weeks since my TKR and keep having down days. I too went onto one crutch quickly then went to the physio who told me to go back onto two which got me down. I was hoping to be collecting the kids from school this week but she told me not to walk too far, think of just going as far as the next lamppost! I can't tell you how frustrated I am as I feel fine. Like you though I'm now getting worried that my knee isn't bending as far as it should be and all my exercises seem to be concentrating on getting it straight (which it hasn't been in 36 years!). I guess I just need to keep going but it's so frustrating.

I hope things have improved a little for you since you posted this, take care
    Clare
  • greyheron
    greyheron Member Posts: 167
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies - it's so helpful hearing other people's experiences and realising that these 'ups and downs' are normal. I'm feeling much better 'in myself' and looking forward(?) to my consultant appointment on Thursday. Thanks again and best wishes to all.

Wendy[/b]