Blue Badge Question

Options
luckybug
luckybug Member Posts: 205
edited 14. Dec 2008, 16:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have a motability car and occassionally when I need to go to the hospital on a morning appointment I'm usually too stiff to drive, so my sister who is the other driver on the car takes me, drops me off then goes off to work, she parks up outside work and uses the blue badge as it is a hard place to park, then when I need picking up she comes back and takes me home, then I drive her back to work if I'm up to it, is this illegal? I think it is as she is using the car for me, and as I cannot drive until usually the late morning/early afternoon, but what would the parking warden say if someone reported her? By the way she doesn't use a disabled parking bay it's just timed parking, but if you have a blue badge you can stay as long as you need to, she only ever uses it in this situation. :roll:

Comments

• ktl297
    ktl297 Member Posts: 50
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi,
    My understanding is that what your sister does is not allowed. My Grandma has a blue badge (even though she doesn't drive) and it's OK to use it in my car when I am taking her somewhere even if I take her to the supermarket and I do my shopping there too. BUT if I was to drop her off and go on somewhere else alone that would be classed as me using the badge (and therefore misusing it and illegal) rather than Grandma using it. Basically the badge is for you to make sure you don't have to walk too far from where you park to where you are going - not for the convenience of the person who gives you a lift.
    KT
  • luckybug
    Options
    I realize what you are both saying, but it is not actually convenient for my sister to have time off work and drive me back and forth, and as I need her to drop me off and pick me up, surely it is for my use?
    My sister walks to work each day as where she works is a nightmare at the best of time to park up in her own car.
    So if I asked my sister to drop me at Blackpool Pleasure beach and go find a parking space and she has to park half a mile away as there are no vacant areas to park nearby would using my blue badge be illegal? as it is being used for me to get near to where I'm going obviously she would have to make her way back to the car and come and pick me back up? So whats the difference in dropping me at the hospital, and then finding an area to park, which is near her work, and then picking me up when the appointment ends.
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    If your sister is your official carer, then where she works may have to make allowances, such as taking/collecting you from hospital, not on parking. Jobcentreplus will have information on the rules and regs.

The parking concession is so that YOU don't have to walk far from/to the vehicle, not your sister. After your sister has dropped you off, the vehicle is no longer being used by you but by her, so she can't use the Blue Badge anyway, (except as below). If caught and they are now tightening up, then you will lose the Blue Badge and more. The regs are quite clear on this:

Misuse of Blue Badge
    It is a criminal offence to drive* a vehicle displaying a Blue Badge unless the badge holder is in the vehicle, or the vehicle is being driven by someone other than the badge holder for the purpose of entering or leaving an area (which is accessible only to vehicles displaying a Blue Badge) in order to pick up or drop off the holder.

It is an offence if people other than the badge holder take advantage of the parking concessions provided under the scheme. The maximum fine if someone is convicted is £1,000 plus any additional penalty for the related parking offence.

That's a £1,000 each. £1,000 for you for allowing it, £1,000 for her for doing it and a criminal record each.
    (*Drive in this context, doesn't necessarily mean moving).
    Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,471
    Options
    Having read your replies I ahev to say:
    OMG Luckybug - you'd better stop it!!!
    :shock: :(
    Toni xx
  • luckybug
    edited 13. Dec 2008, 15:21
    Options
    Well glad I had this clarified, because I do think the rules are a bit hit and miss.
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi, having seen the answers I have to ask another question, I have a blue badge too, if I parked and used my badge but decided not to leave the car and my husband went to the bank etc, is it ok for me to sit in the car and wait love Jaspercatxx
  • petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    Options
    Yes Jaspercat the badge belongs to you, you are in the car, so ita all ok. Linda
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    petmad wrote:
    Yes Jaspercat the badge belongs to you, you are in the car, so ita all ok. Linda

Hi Linda, thanks for that information, I have always worried about it, I don't want a ticket as they are very sharp here in Macclesfield love Jaspercatxxx
  • vickid
    vickid Member Posts: 12
    Options
    How do find out if I'm eligible for a blue badge?
    I am really struggling walking and getting the bus to uni at the moment, especially in this cold cold cold weather. I would love to be able to drive to uni but I'm usually in all day and it's just too expensive for me.
    :roll:
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Options
    vickid wrote:
    How do find out if I'm eligible for a blue badge?
    I am really struggling walking and getting the bus to uni at the moment, especially in this cold cold cold weather. I would love to be able to drive to uni but I'm usually in all day and it's just too expensive for me.
    :roll:

Hi

Just get the form, used to be from Social Services and fill it in. I think it helps if you have a GP or consultant on side to back you up. Also you may have to see a Dr. that doesn't know you.

Give it a try and good luck.

Vonski
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    jaspercat wrote:
    Hi, having seen the answers I have to ask another question, I have a blue badge too, if I parked and used my badge but decided not to leave the car and my husband went to the bank etc, is it ok for me to sit in the car and wait love Jaspercatxx

Unless you leave the vehicle as well, then NO. It's one of the commonest catches.

Department for Transport, The Blue Badge Scheme, T/INF/222, Section 13, Page 11.

You should not use the badge to allow non-disabled people to take advantage of the benefits while you sit in the car.

Fines of £1,000 and withdrawal of the badge as I commented on earlier.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif