Info on Methotrexate side effects

Options
susie51
susie51 Member Posts: 57
edited 14. Dec 2008, 16:05 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi I am gathering information re any side effects peeps think thay can attribute to taking the drug Methotrexate for RA, all replies greatfully received

Seasons greetings to all

Comments

• jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Susie51, I haven taken MXT for several years now, on the tablets I had terrible nausea for several days after taking it, and also I felt like I had been hit with a sledgehammer, I was very tired after taking them.

A few months ago my Rheumy suggested injections, I was dubious at first and worried about injecting myself, but I agreed to give it a trial, I feel much better now, I only have nausea every now and again and do not feet so tired.

I have lost about 8 stone in weight since I have been on injections, my Rheumy says it isn't directly a side effect but I have read that many people have lost weight so I don't know love Jaspercatxx
  • jeannie2
    jeannie2 Member Posts: 135
    Options
    Hi Susie,
    You've got a PM.
    Jeannie
  • susie51
    Options
    jeannie wrote:
    Hi Susie,
    You've got a PM.
    Jeannie

WI have! What's a PM :?
  • susie51
    Options
    jaspercat wrote:
    Hi Susie51, I haven taken MXT for several years now, on the tablets I had terrible nausea for several days after taking it, and also I felt like I had been hit with a sledgehammer, I was very tired after taking them.

A few months ago my Rheumy suggested injections, I was dubious at first and worried about injecting myself, but I agreed to give it a trial, I feel much better now, I only have nausea every now and again and do not feet so tired.

I have lost about 8 stone in weight since I have been on injections, my Rheumy says it isn't directly a side effect but I have read that many people have lost weight so I don't know love Jaspercatxx

Well I guess I could lose a few pounds if I could get rid of the inertia! but 8 stone :shock: well done you must be feelin tons fitter, what else, apart from changes to the Metho, did you do? I am having a hard time trying to distinquish between the inertia I feel from losing my former way of life, ie active, artist into everything to do with DIY, to that which may be induced by this medication. I definitely dont feel myself but then I am nlot the self I was before this illness took hold plus I have moved from 50 nearing 60 at the same time when I guess everybodys energy changes any way, hey ho. I would like to try some time without the Metho but I think I will wait till the summer before I try for obvious reasons.
  • roczko
    roczko Member Posts: 92
    Options
    susie51 wrote:
    Hi I am gathering information re any side effects peeps think thay can attribute to taking the drug Methotrexate for RA, all replies greatfully received

Seasons greetings to all

I had a really bad whooping-cough like cough with this drug (in tablet form) with great difficulty breathing. This usually started within an hour or so of getting up in the morning every day.

I had to stop taking it straight away but the cough lasted some time after I stopped.

I ended up with a couple of cracked ribs too as it was such a violent cough.

Patrick
  • jeannie2
    jeannie2 Member Posts: 135
    Options
    Hi Susie51,
    PM = Personal message. Just click on My Messages and it should be there.
    Jeannie
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi Susie51, well the weight loss started with my husband, Malcolm, being ill in intensive care, I was just up and down to the hospital all the time and didn't have any appetite, once he came home I struggled to eat normally, since then I am not doing anything special, eating ok but I don't know why I am losing weight, I am not complaining though, my rheumy is delighted with me.

If I lose too much weight I will see the doctor about it, but I can't see any difference in my RA, it is not making my joints any easier, maybe it will eventually love Jaspercatxxx