SLIGHTLY CONFUSED SO ASKING THE EXPERTS!

Options
sharonjax
sharonjax Member Posts: 19
edited 18. Dec 2008, 08:51 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,

I had a hospital appointment on Friday and although the Doc was brill and explained everything to me to the point that I thought I understood, it's now all jumbled up in my head and I'm confused.
All bloods are ok but there is definately inflammation and joint damage in my fingers. He did ultrasound to show me the damage to the bones and explained that he thinks I have oesto arthritis as well, but said at 39 I'm a bit too young to have this unless it's genetic but being adopted I don't know much of my history. Got a steroid injection in my bum and have been given Hydroxychloroquine to add to my medication cocktail.
My question is, can you have sero-neg RA AND oesteo-arthritis? Don't know much about the oesteo stuff as been led to believe I had the other.

Sharon

Comments

• Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Not sure if this helps - but I am 41 and have Rheumatoid arthritis.

A while ago I had a trapped nerve and the x-ray they took showed OA there rather than the RA I was expecting!

So it would seem that we can get arthur more than once, which makes me :x :x :x :x :x
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    Options
    don't if this will help either, but i had o/a in my hip, caused by an injury when i was about 14, it was diagnosed when i was about 29. i had a hip resurfacing op on the hip but pain continued and then last yr aged 33 i was diagnosed with r/a.
    probably not much help actually! sorry.
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    sharonjax wrote:
    Hi everyone,

I had a hospital appointment on Friday and although the Doc was brill and explained everything to me to the point that I thought I understood, it's now all jumbled up in my head and I'm confused.
    All bloods are ok but there is definately inflammation and joint damage in my fingers. He did ultrasound to show me the damage to the bones and explained that he thinks I have oesto arthritis as well, but said at 39 I'm a bit too young to have this unless it's genetic but being adopted I don't know much of my history. Got a steroid injection in my bum and have been given Hydroxychloroquine to add to my medication cocktail.
    My question is, can you have sero-neg RA AND oesteo-arthritis? Don't know much about the oesteo stuff as been led to believe I had the other.

Hi, I was diagnosed at 37 with sero-neg RA, which later became Severe Reactive RA, mostly in my hands and wrists, but I do have OA in both knees, OA is what they call wear and tear, so yes you can have both. The Hydroxycholroquine won't help with the OA, only with the RA love Jaspercatxxx

Sharon
  • sharonjax
    sharonjax Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks, I think I'm getting the picture and it's not a case of lightning not striking twice.......! Good job we girls can multi-task.
    Sharon x

Sharon[/quote][/quote]
  • sweenyuk
    sweenyuk Member Posts: 15
    Options
    I have both RA and OA