Oranges and lemons

Options
livinglegend
livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
edited 18. Dec 2008, 08:41 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have been drinking about half a pint of fresh-squeezed pineapple juice every day. Just a glass of juice with meals and it keeps me happy as I am not allowed alcolol. Nooo, no t even a slosshy droppp :( p. Hic!

Joseph 8)
Josephm0310.gif

Comments

• kezzo1
    kezzo1 Member Posts: 171
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    i have a glass of orange juice every so often too afterall my immune system does need a little helping hand lol, but i get what ur saying and i know citeric acid is bad for us, its a catch 22 situation like alway!! :(
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    Options
    I've heard this about orange and all other citric fruit but I still eat them. It certainly is a trade off. I know that grapefruit can react very badly with certain heart medication but seeing as that's about the only type of meds I don't have perhaps I should risk it!!
  • luckybug
    luckybug Member Posts: 205
    Options
    Tomatoes are suppose to be bad too, I love em..
  • jimmy77
    jimmy77 Member Posts: 71
    Options
    Someone told me they are bad for arthritis sufferers, something to do with the acid in them. If so, I would stear clear of them just to be on the safe side. Alanmancunian

Hi Alan,

I think the anti-infammatory diet is good and acidic fruits are not on the list. However, while I work to comply with the diet I think life is too short to lose sleep over precisely what I consume everyday. So I will enjoy a few things not on the plan at times and enjoy.

The best to you.

Jimmy77
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    luckybug wrote:
    Tomatoes are suppose to be bad too, I love em..

Tomato Ketchup is OK for me wiv me sausage an chips. :lol:

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    Options
    Well "they" do reckon that orange juice will kill you!!!-apparantly you have to drink something ridiculous like 200 gallons at once....I thought that was called drowning!!! :shock:

And what I really want to know is who found that one out???? :roll:
  • sweenyuk
    sweenyuk Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Orange is a natural laxitive, as such it can cause dehydration and reduce the absorption rate of vitamins and minerals into the body. Eaten in small quantaties with plenty of fluids would not be an issue. But I avoid it as have lost most of my bowel as well as having artritis, so dehydration is a massive problem for me. I have just had a scan of my spine, at least 3 discs are very dried out now and the fluid around my nerves is almost gone, which is my main cause of pain.