risks in childbirth from ankylosing spondylitis

helenlw
helenlw Member Posts: 3
Hello my name is Helen. I was diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis in my twenties having suffered since my teens which I understand is unusual especially as it affected my hips, causing extreme pain and immobility.
Please could you give me information about the implications of normal childbirth in light of this. I am 42 and pregnant for the second time. After the experience of my first delivery, in my thirties, I have great concern over the possibilities of both damage to my hips and long-term exacerbation of my condition. I can only describe the pain in my pelvis, hips and coccyx during my son's birth as feeling like being hit with a sledge-hammer! I practise pilates and have also practised yoga along with other exercise to maintain flexibility.
Thank you, Helen.

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    helenlw wrote:
    Hello my name is Helen. I was diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis in my twenties having suffered since my teens which I understand is unusual especially as it affected my hips, causing extreme pain and immobility.
    Please could you give me information about the implications of normal childbirth in light of this. I am 42 and pregnant for the second time. After the experience of my first delivery, in my thirties, I have great concern over the possibilities of both damage to my hips and long-term exacerbation of my condition. I can only describe the pain in my pelvis, hips and coccyx during my son's birth as feeling like being hit with a sledge-hammer! I practise pilates and have also practised yoga along with other exercise to maintain flexibility.
    Thank you, Helen.

Hello Helen

After having done a bit of research there does not seem to be any information specific to your question and perhaps this is because as you already know it affects you in ways that is not that common.

Having said that it also sounds like you know what lies ahead of you and that is quite a scary and traumatic option.

Have you had a chance to talk to your obstetric team about this? Do you want to have a normal birth again? What about other birth options? Childbirth can be traumatic enough without added complications and you know best what you can and want to bear. In you case it is also important to be able to cope afterwards and ensure that no further damage is caused to you. Perhaps talking to your midwife first would be a good place to start to make sure they understand the full implications of your situation and to help them offer you better solutions in terms of alternatives to a natural birth and also pain control should you decide you want natural birth.

I realise I have not given you a clear cut answer but I'm sure you know that in reality there is no clear answer.

I wonder if it may be useful for you to contact NASS incase they have come across someone in a similar position to you. Here are their contact details: National Ankylosing Spondylitis Society
    Registered charity no 272258
    Unit 0.2
    One Victoria Villas
    Richmond
    Surrey
    TW9 2GW,
    T: 020 8948 9117
    F: 020 8940 7736
    E: admin@nass.co.uk

http://www.nass.co.uk/contacts.htm

If you would just like to have a chat with one of us please feel free to give us a call. Its always good to talk through your fears, so that you can help yourself make the right decisions.

Best wishes to you and yours for a Merry Christmas and a Very Happy New Year.

Simona
  • helenlw
    helenlw Member Posts: 3
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    helenlw wrote:
    Thank you, Helen.

Hello Helen

After having done a bit of research there does not seem to be any information specific to your question and perhaps this is because as you already know it affects you in ways that is not that common.

Having said that it also sounds like you know what lies ahead of you and that is quite a scary and traumatic option.

Have you had a chance to talk to your obstetric team about this? Do you want to have a normal birth again? What about other birth options? Childbirth can be traumatic enough without added complications and you know best what you can and want to bear. In you case it is also important to be able to cope afterwards and ensure that no further damage is caused to you. Perhaps talking to your midwife first would be a good place to start to make sure they understand the full implications of your situation and to help them offer you better solutions in terms of alternatives to a natural birth and also pain control should you decide you want natural birth.

I realise I have not given you a clear cut answer but I'm sure you know that in reality there is no clear answer.

I wonder if it may be useful for you to contact NASS incase they have come across someone in a similar position to you. Here are their contact details: National Ankylosing Spondylitis Society
    Registered charity no 272258
    Unit 0.2
    One Victoria Villas
    Richmond
    Surrey
    TW9 2GW,
    T: 020 8948 9117
    F: 020 8940 7736
    E: admin@nass.co.uk

http://www.nass.co.uk/contacts.htm

If you would just like to have a chat with one of us please feel free to give us a call. Its always good to talk through your fears, so that you can help yourself make the right decisions.

Best wishes to you and yours for a Merry Christmas and a Very Happy New Year.

Simona

Thank you Simona for your time and information,

I have seen my obstetric consultant already, she informed me that every women who gives birth went through what I did.

I have spoken to a lovey lady today at NASS, she has spoken to a lot of ladies with AS who have given birth and none of them went through this experience. She suggested it could possibly be another cause. She will look further into it to see if she can find out anything more.

If you have any ideas about any routes I could try I would be very happy to hear them.

Merry Christmas to you all.

Thank you again.

Helen.