why did i do it?

Options
redpoppy
redpoppy Member Posts: 108
edited 22. Dec 2008, 14:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
i went xmas shopping yesterday with my mate ,we started at 11 and finished at 5.we did have an hour for dinner were i did manage to sit down.im acheing so much today,my wrists are swollen from carrying shopping bags.my back is absolute agony its never been so painfull and to top it all off ive just had to do a pile of ironing as i aint done any for 2 weeks.i thought maybe i could be normal for one day but no it gets its revenge on me the next day big time. :roll: i think its gonna take me a few days to recover.anyway thats my moan over for today. :D

Comments

• miaswe
    miaswe Member Posts: 13
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I feel exactly the same today!! Had a hospital appointment yesterday then went Xmas shopping and lunch out and called for our weekly grocery shop on the way home, I was feeling great and you think 'oh there's nothing wrong with me,' but boy am I paying for it today aching all over and really tired. I was told by my Dr to pace myself and not to do too much at one time, but its so hard is'nt it when you're feeling ok to think about tomorrow. My hubby understands, but some see you out and about and they think there's nothing wrong with you, especially if like me you try not to moan about your illness they don't know that there will be a price to pay the next day. I sometimes thing you can be too brave and 'cos you don't make a fuss they think all's well. Happy Christmas everyone :D
  • redpoppy
    redpoppy Member Posts: 108
    Options
    hi miaswe.i think many of us think somedays we feel fine and then we over do it without realising and suffer for days after.i think my friend would have carried on shooping some more but i was starting to trail my feet and realy slowed up so we got the next bus back.we had to wait in the que for another 20mins all i wanted to do was sit down.my friend trys to understand it but realy she dosent know the half of it.she tried a couple of dresses on in a shop and asked me to zip them up for her.it took me ages to even get it to move i had a sweat on after i had finished.maybe we should try and pace ourselfs a bit more like your doc says.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,429
    Options
    I hope you guys enjoyed yourselves though. Sometimes it IS nice to forget it for a while isn't it?
    I don't do big shopping sessions anymore - 2 hours is def my limit!! :(
    Just wrapping Chrissy prezzies can be too much can't it? :roll: ans as for ironing....
    Anyway I think you are right to keep on going (just pace yourselves a weeny bit!!).
    Take care
    Toni xx
  • renard99
    renard99 Member Posts: 19
    Options
    I can empathise with you. I've only recently been diagnosed with RA so i'm still to learn my limitations.

This weekend just gone, for the first time since I first started to feel the effects of RA, I was (relatively) free from pain, and, knowing my other half and I had been putting off the Christmas food shop because of my pain, I said 'let's go for it'. I had to drive as my other half hasn't got a license, which was bad start as I haven't driven for a long time as it's just too painful. We then spent 2 and a half hours fighting the crowds around Asda trying to get as much food as possible to last us the festive period. Then I had to drive back. Got home and thought that, apart from a slight pain in my knees, i'd got away with it.

Nope!

I'm sat here at work in agony today! My knees feel like they've walked thousands of miles, my arms ache from pushing the trolley and my wrists ache from putting the bags in the car and then from the car to the house.

That'll teach me to jump on a 'quiet' RA period quite so vigorously!
  • greyheron
    greyheron Member Posts: 167
    Options
    Hi all

Yes, I've done the same.

I've got OA and had a TKR six weeks ago, I got myself quite organised for Xmas before the op and then in the last couple of weeks have used mail order for final present buying and supermarket food delivery services - sorted!

Then a friend asked me if I'd like to join their church choir to sing the service of Nine Lessons and Carols (based on the Kings College one broadcast on Xmas Eve). I said yes, it happened yesterday and was wonderful to be a part of - but lots of processing round the church and standing to sing, and today my knee is really suffering a 'reaction'.

But it was worth it and I guess we all have to balance our lives as best we can, taking a chance sometimes that we will 'pay' the nexy day.

Hope you're all recovering and wishing you great Xmases.

Wendy