Who Are We Roll Call - Part 2

124»

Comments

• mistywillow
    mistywillow Member Posts: 711
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    elnafinn wrote:
    Hi Jules

I am very sorry to hear your story so far. Welcome to the forum. You will get lots of support here.

I will say that perhaps you should copy and paste your posting onto the Living with Arthritis Forum as a new thread as that is where you will get lots of replies/help/sympathy. Peeps may not see your thread so easily where you have put it.

You have every right to ask your gp to refer you to a rheumy. You should be seeing one.

Chin up and cyber hugs,

Hi Jules
    its probably the wrong place to reply to you but never mind!
    Wasn't sure if your GP meant that there was no doubt you had RA but if that is the case then you will want and need to see a rhematologist so i would hot foot it back to your surgery and ask to be referred. There isn't a conclusive test for RA. Rhematoid factor is only raised in some people with RA but some people without it have it too. Other tests just give you an idea if there is any inflammation going on, it is not specific for RA.
    welcome to the site by the way, it has been so helpful for me.
    Gill :)

Luv
    Elna x
  • yesmeducky
    yesmeducky Member Posts: 50
    Hi all,
    I'm Heidi from Leicester aged 42. I have just been told i have RA. I have it in most of my joints. Before the steroids, my shoulders were excruciating but under control now. It's the smaller joints that are giving me the grief. I'm taking the sulfasalazine drug which i'm working up to 4x500mg; i'm on 3 at mo. I'm still taking steroids which will be reduced in due course. I was originally on 20mg of predisolone which helped me loads but doctor said i had to reduce them. I went to 10mg and the pain and stiffness returned very quickly. So i'm taking 15mg which is just about manageable. So really i'm waiting for the sulfa to help. I'm on the sick at the moment but can't wait to return to work. I'm desperately hoping that the tiredness and lack of energy might dampen down and i can get back to having some sort of life again.

Best wishes
    Heidi
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 31. Mar 2009, 13:02
    Hi Heidi :D

Welcome to the forum. :D Let's hope the sulfa kicks in soon and you can get back to work.

I hope to see you posting more and joining in. The site can become quite addictive, well I have found it so. :lol: I must have been on here for a good two years now. It is good to talk. :D

Hope your weekend goes ok,

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • yesmeducky
    yesmeducky Member Posts: 50
    Thanks Elna. It means a lot to be joining such a bunch of lovely people.

Best

Heidi :)
  • polly24
    polly24 Member Posts: 34
    yesmeducky wrote:

Besthi i am maggs have not been on in a long time have probs with my hands am 50 married with 2 children both left and married have ra and a few replacements under my belt i live in rhymney south wales :roll:
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    polly24 wrote:
    yesmeducky wrote:

Besthi i am maggs have not been on in a long time have probs with my hands am 50 married with 2 children both left and married have ra and a few replacements under my belt i live in rhymney south wales :roll:

Hi Polly
    Still wearing the crocs or have I got the wrong person? I am into my MBT's at the mo. My best friend :lol::lol::lol:
    Look forward to seeing you post again.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • anaabh
    anaabh Member Posts: 25
    mrsmopp wrote:
    elnafinn wrote:
    anaabh wrote:
    Hi, I'm a single mum with 2 little boys and in the space of 6 weeks have visited my GP with increasingly excruiating knee pain, been xrayed, diagnosed with severe OA, seen a consultant who says I have bone to bone contact (what's that?) and I am having a knee arthroscopy in a few weeks although the consultant has cheerfully told me it's unlikely to do much good but it's worth a try before having a TKR. Feeling a bit shell shocked really

I'm only 39 and would love to chat to others of a similar age in particular, as most of my friends view arthritis as something only seniors have.

So pleased to have found you all ![/quote

Hi ana.

Im 43 and had a knee replacement 4 months ago. I had the same bone to bone contact,and pain. I also had a arthroscopy, which just confirmed that i did need knee replacement. It has made a huge difference, walking about unaided by my friends, the crutches, virtually pain free which has made a big difference. Iv been back to my work now for 6 weeks and managing fine, although i still get tired. Im lucky i have a very supportive husband and son, who is 23 and still lives at home, he knows where he is best off. Hope everything goes well for you.

Hi ana :D

I have answered your question re "bone on bone" on your other posting. I am sure you are feeling a little shocked. It has all happened a little quickly for you hasn't it? :roll: Are you going private because you appear to be getting A1 service! :D:D

Look after yourself,

Elna

Hi All

Actually it's on the NHS, I was surprised as well, but GP has been brilliant, referal only took a few weeks and the consult was helpful and thorough. I suppose it depends on where you live. I'm in Bucks, consult was at stoke Mandeville and arthroscopy will be at High Wycombe. Very excited about the op now cos it can only help or stay the same. I reckon a positive atitude will have me running after my 2 boys soon enough!!!

Take Care :)
  • gocat1
    gocat1 Member Posts: 10
    Hi. Been reading forum for a few weeks and learning lots. :D
    Had SUFE of right hip at age 13 http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A24369915 . RTHR 3 years ago at age 45 . Also arthiritis in other parts of body e.g. spine, thumbs, knee .
  • vijaysa
    vijaysa Member Posts: 26
    Hi. I am new to the forum. Joined on 20 Feb but have not been on since then. I live in South Africa and I am 40. There are no forums of this kind based in SA. I was diagnosed in 2003 with RA. I only had a swollen finger and was quickly controlled on Chloroquine until 2007 when I discovered that the Chloroquine damaged my eyes, I now have a hole in both maculars (centre of the retina). I see with spots now. I then went of all meds as I was really crushed. After 3 months the RA flared. Tried every natural remedy I could find and nothing helped. Eventually could not walk for 6 weeks, could not even pick up a cup. Tried 40mg prednisone which pushed my blood pressure and sugar sky high. Was fainting. Stopped the prednisone and tried sulphasalazine which I am terribly allergic too (red angry rash) Back on 10mg prednisone a day. Tried 6 methotrexate a week which did not work but makes my hair fall out. I have now been put on adalimumab (Humira) injections every 2 weeks and 4 methotrexate a week. Stopped the prednisone which has caused me to flare again. Fingers, wrists, elbows, shoulders, neck, knees and ankles all sore and some swollen. Terribly exhausted and running a slight temperature. My dr says I must be patient as the Humira will take 3 to 6 months to work. I must say i am fed up with the pain and loss of function. I cannot work on some days, not able to walk my beloved dogs, cannot cut veges, carry groceries and generally miserable.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Vijaysa,
    A quick high and welcome as I am slacking and shouldn't be! :) I'm glad you found the site and it may be worth looking at the old postings on the living with forum as there are some about Humira. I hope you soon get some benefit from it all and find it works for you. Take care, Cris
  • vijaysa
    vijaysa Member Posts: 26
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Vijaysa,
    A quick high and welcome as I am slacking and shouldn't be! :) I'm glad you found the site and it may be worth looking at the old postings on the living with forum as there are some about Humira. I hope you soon get some benefit from it all and find it works for you. Take care, Cris

Hi Cris. Thanks. I have been reading the Humira posts. Will read through the older ones too. It is a great forum. Good to be a able to talk to people who understand and to know that what I am experiencing is not in my head. Will log on more often. Vijay
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    ]
    Hi Vijay,
    It is a very good forum. Hey put a separate post of you own on the forum as there are a lot of people here who are on the drug and can help you. You take care and nice to meet you. :D Cris
  • frogslegs
    frogslegs Member Posts: 26
    julesp600 wrote:
    Hi All,

However a couple of years ago things started to change as I kept getting tendonitis flare ups in my achilies.

Do you still suffer from achilles heel tendonitis? I've had it in both heels for nearly three years, the first few months were excruciating and it took this amount of time for the professionals to realise what it was! I did have a scan and about 50 physio treatments after diagnosis which at first was similar to 'chinese torture' (pinching of the achilles) It would have helped if I was given a leather belt to bit into! I was told to wear shoes with heels (which I hate). I gave up walking and have just recently started very short walks...perhaps 2 miles max.

Fortunately or unfortuanely I work for myself (we have gites) but I suppose I would have been given time of work!

Hope your recovery is sooner
  • bagpuss
    bagpuss Member Posts: 14
    Hi. My name is Jessica I am 45 and live in Rochester, Kent. I have had RA for about 8 years. I have a supportive husband, a 9 year old daughter, a 21 year old daughter and a grandmother to a gorgeous 10 month old girl. I have been on several different medications over the years, but mainly steriods. I have been on enbrel for the last month, so I am just seeing how that goes. RA tends to travel around my body, but it is mainly in the hands and knees. I gave up going out to work 2 years ago, so my husband and I run our own business from home to keep me occupied.

Since I have had to give a lot of things up I have turned to arts and crafts, and I amazed myself that I enjoy it.... I even try a little painting :o

I am fairly new to this site and I find it very supportive. Thank you