DLA and other help

Options
purvesrosie
purvesrosie Member Posts: 59
edited 27. Dec 2008, 07:47 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all hope your well. i have fainally been awarded dla after appeal. I got high rate mobility and middle rate care. I was just wondering what high rate mobility entitled you too someone mentioned a car? sounds to good to be true lol. I know about blue badge just wondered if there was anything else.
Thanks in advance
Rosie

Ps i bought a homedics shiatsu massager from argos with dla and its fab. really helps with fatigue and the heat in it really loosens me up. just thought i'd share.

Comments

• mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi, & well done.high rate mobility intitles u to free car tax for ur own car.so no need to get mobility car if u dont want to give up all ur mob.benefit for it.& blue badge.my mum has mobility car & gives up her full £46. ish for the car.full mobility benefit for car.so it depends on finances.as far as im told automatic blue badge. good luck & well done im still fighting for dla.debs
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,428
    Options
    Hi Rosie
    I am glad you got your DLA - that's good news.
    I think you get free car tax and as already said you can use your mobility component to buy a car (think it's more of a lease). This has advantages as you can change it regularly before it causes you any trouble and i think things like servises etc are free.
    The car badge - you will still have to go to the Social Seservices (in our area) and apply, but evidence of higher rate mob means it is a passport to getting it free.
    Also you need to look on that govt energy website (can't remember what it's called) as you can get other free stuff like EXTRA insulation in your roof etc. You can always give CAB a ring and they'll know.
    That massager sounds like a good idea!!
    Thanks for sharing
    Toni xx
  • noeltone
    noeltone Member Posts: 878
    Options
    Hi regarding award how long was it for becos I think that determines car lease ie 3 years also now you have got mid rate care you can have a carer ICA benefit for someonme looking after you for 35 hours a week ie partner relative friend its about £50 a but it all helps anyway well done on your award.
  • mike77
    mike77 Member Posts: 879
    Options
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Hi so glad to hear that you got DLA :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D lets hope the powers that be have stareted to get things right at last
    WELL DONE :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

MikeR & Hazel :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Mike R & Hazel & MikeJR
  • purvesrosie
    purvesrosie Member Posts: 59
    Options
    Thanks for your lovely replies and good luck to all of you who are fighting for this. I felt like giving up but didn't it's worth it in the end.
    Regarding the car I have been awarded for three years can i get a mobility car? My poor old banger is well past it and is a manual which i find a nightmare to drive and can only do so on very good days which seem to be few and far between. It would be great to get a bit more freedom and independance.
    thanks again your all fab on here
    rosie x
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi Rosie, your best bet is to talk to car firms that run the mobility scheme for advice, I am not to sure how it works but I know that you will have to give up part if not all of your DLA, I haven't gone down this path as my car is only 5 years and I love it but you will get your car tax free if you get high rate mobility love Jaspercatxxx
  • michelle22
    michelle22 Member Posts: 93
    Options
    If you are in Scotland you also get you free bus pass as well

WARNING don't tell people you are getting DLA as someone will shop you on a good day like me and you will be investigated for Fraud I got High Rate from April and I am now being investigated so please be careful

Michellex
  • thisledome1
    thisledome1 Member Posts: 45
    Options
    Michelle
    Sent you a pm .
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Rosie

I'm so glad you stuck to your guns and persevered - I'm sure that's not been easy for you - but it was definitely worth it in the end - congrats.

I get high rate mobility and don't drive but my husband and I did opt for Motobility Car Scheme for many years. As Toni said find out the dealers in your area and ask their advice. My experience is that you can chose the sort of car you like and depending on the model you may have to pay something towards it, the smaller, basic models didn't used to cost anything extra. Then they will take all of your higher rate mobility every week in order to pay for it. You don't own the car it's merely leased to you for three years and although that's good when you need it repairing at the end of the three years you will have to enter into a new contract and change the car whether you like it or not.

We were glad we did it at the time as we were provided with a brand new, reliable car but nowadays we're fortunate as we can afford to do that anyway. If you do the sums it doesn't always work out in your favour and if I remember correctly you are limited to the mileage you can do - just off to check with hubby, won't be a mo. ..................... :wink: ..... he says repairs and services are free and they limit you to 10,000 miles per year, if you go over this they will charge you - it will be all in the contract you have to sign - suggest you read the small print first if this is the route you chose to take.

Hope this helps you make a decision - let's face it there's no harm in looking into it afterall things might have changed since we did it.

Luv Legs :)
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • grumpybear
    grumpybear Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Rosie,

I'm new to the forum but have also been given DLA...High mobility and low care. Motability will take all your mobility component of your DLA £46.75 per week. For this you will recieve a car of your choice, servicing for the life of the contract (3 years), breakdown cover (RAC), insurance, unlimited tyres, and road tax. Some cars have deposits to pay depending on the make and model you choose but, there are a lot of cars on nil deposit.

The lease is for three years for a standard car and you have an annual milleage allowance of 20,000 miles (60,000 over three years). If you need a wheel chair accessible vehicle (WAV) the lease is over five years and the milleage allowance is 100,000 miles.

Hope this helps as we have had three motability vehicles and the service is great. You still keep the care component of DLA for yourself.

Iain
  • angie12
    angie12 Member Posts: 18
    Options
    Hi Purvesrosie.
    I'm chuffed for you too, well done.
    Angie12 :)
  • avalon
    avalon Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Hi Rosie

I agree with Iain. We have had two Motability cars and the service is great!! The choice of car that we went for is automatic with nil deposit but it had a rather hard handbrake for me to drive, so they fitted a special handbrake completely free of charge!! There are other adaptions you can have , some of which are free and some you have to pay a small charge for.

I also agree just go to a garage and have a chat with the Motabilty representative and I have always found them very helpful. Also I think at the end of the three years if you don't want to change your car, you can buy it. We were given that option but opted to go for a new one.

Hope this helps Rosie and congratulations on the award.

Janetx