OA of the knee caps, the truth is out there!

Options
mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
edited 23. Dec 2008, 14:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi peeps, I was diagnosed with advanced OA in both knee caps after keyhole surgery in April this year, ever since I have been in varying levels of pain most of the time, I have found it gets worse the more I do and get really bad late in the evening, my question is, has anyone on here got the same OA as me or do they know anyone with it?, or am I a one off!?. :?:

Comments

• jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi, I was diagnosed with OA in my left knee after a sports accident and then OA in my right knee this year after a fall, I am currently seeing a physio to strenthen my knee quads, both of them painful after walking about and last thing at night love Jaspercatxxx
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    hi i had arthrerscopy and wash out on my left knee in july was diagnosed with grade 3 ostioarteritis of the medial and patello-femoral compartments , and with an educated guess in my right knee as well both grate and grind on going up or down stairs , gives way as if some body has knocked them from the back , do you get any cramp in legs below the knees , are you taking any meds , i am doing exersises for my musles , and trying to lose a bit of weight , i walk every day wether i want to or not , the only think i dont do very well is sleep , as i canot get comfy for any length of time . {may} xx
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    Options
    Hello May,
    I've been having probs with knees for ages. Long story short-MRI came back saying I had softening of cartilage. I get the grating/grinding and cracking in both knees. I also get cramps down the front of leg from my knee down and I get the same feeling of someone knocking my knee at the back so leg gives way. Very strange :?
    Magenta
  • lorrayne
    lorrayne Member Posts: 25
    Options
    Hi,

I always had achey knees and turned over in bed one night 2yrs ago and tore a ligament, it was agony, knees locking or giving way, it took 5 months waiting for x ray and to see consultant who told me I had the knees of an 80 yr old no cartiledge left and one knee cap disintegrated the bones in my legs had bowed and sharp nodules will rip ligaments if I just turn my body or head

I have found that I cannot stand still for more that a couple of mins can only walk a few yds before the knives start stabbing. Loose my balance out of the blue and am now a completely different person than the bubbly happy person I used to be and my whole life has changed drastically, Since then I have it in my hips and severe cervical spondy so at night there is always one of them worse than the other that wakes me up at 2am...thank God for sky

, I have found I isolate myself and when I have to mix put a brave mask on as Im embarrsed with my bockity body

I so want to be the old me, but then when reading this site I feel completely humbled by those much worse off my heart goes out to out to them who suffer with other dreadful types of Arthur, the awful meds they have to take, and give myself a good telling off and stop and smell the flowers and value all that is good.

xxx
  • mellman01
    Options
    bertyboy wrote:
    hi i had arthrerscopy and wash out on my left knee in july was diagnosed with grade 3 ostioarteritis of the medial and patello-femoral compartments , and with an educated guess in my right knee as well both grate and grind on going up or down stairs , gives way as if some body has knocked them from the back , do you get any cramp in legs below the knees , are you taking any meds , i am doing exersises for my musles , and trying to lose a bit of weight , i walk every day wether i want to or not , the only think i dont do very well is sleep , as i canot get comfy for any length of time . {may} xx
    Hi bertyboy I am on Tramadol and Coproxamol. I have just been to a private pain clinic Doc and he wants to put me on Amyltriptaline, I don't like the stuff was on it a few years ago as I have a deformed disc in my neck between the C6&C7 vertebra, didn't like it one bit and it didn't do much good, he also wants me to try Capsicum cream!. I dont get cramps but Do get pain below the knee as well in it,I also get a feeling like someone is trying pull my knee cap off when driving! , my knees don't give way, my damage was scaled from 1-10 and is L=6 R=7.I find the more walking I do the wores it gets and come for me big style at night so I don't sleep well.
  • mellman01
    Options
    lorrayne wrote:
    Hi,

I always had achey knees and turned over in bed one night 2yrs ago and tore a ligament, it was agony, knees locking or giving way, it took 5 months waiting for x ray and to see consultant who told me I had the knees of an 80 yr old no cartiledge left and one knee cap disintegrated the bones in my legs had bowed and sharp nodules will rip ligaments if I just turn my body or head

I have found that I cannot stand still for more that a couple of mins can only walk a few yds before the knives start stabbing. Loose my balance out of the blue and am now a completely different person than the bubbly happy person I used to be and my whole life has changed drastically, Since then I have it in my hips and severe cervical spondy so at night there is always one of them worse than the other that wakes me up at 2am...thank God for sky

, I have found I isolate myself and when I have to mix put a brave mask on as Im embarrsed with my bockity body

I so want to be the old me, but then when reading this site I feel completely humbled by those much worse off my heart goes out to out to them who suffer with other dreadful types of Arthur, the awful meds they have to take, and give myself a good telling off and stop and smell the flowers and value all that is good.

xxx
    Hi Lorrayne sorry to hear it, I am lucky mine still have some cartlidge left and here I am feeling sorry for myself!, the pain only comes when I have been moving about and have gone outside of my comfort zone still learning what i can get away with, I have been told I will need two new cap in a few years time, I know what you mean about wanting the old u back, I use to run walk up hills etc, that all ended on the 7th of April for me, you take care and have a good Crimbo.
  • nickynysmon08
    nickynysmon08 Bots Posts: 111
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    Hi peeps, I was diagnosed with advanced OA in both knee caps after keyhole surgery in April this year, ever since I have been in varying levels of pain most of the time, I have found it gets worse the more I do and get really bad late in the evening, my question is, has anyone on here got the same OA as me or do they know anyone with it?, or am I a one off!?. :?:

I have had osteo of both knees for a while now, maybe nine months. I also have it in the hips and maybe small of the back a bit. it came on by walking too far and then capping it with a long long walk down a steep steep hill. this I did on a couple of occasions, the same damned hill!! stupid or sheer careless who knows. it wore out my knee ligament and though they healed at first the last time i did this, there was no going back and now I have arthritis in both knees. the right one is worst
    the pain has been BAD at times, but i still walk, six miles about my limit for now. diclofenic is a wonder drug for me and I would be very incapacitated without it.
    I have found now the right balance of activity and resting. I hope you do also. walking is wonderful therapy if not done too much of