Its back, but was a nice 9 month break

Options
becs123
becs123 Bots Posts: 7
edited 8. Jan 2009, 11:07 in Living with Arthritis archive
I wrote earlier this year to say my RA was in remission. Well it seems to be coming back, starting in my ankles. I haven't taken anything for it for 9 months and everyone has told me how well I look. Have been trying to put up with it for a few weeks, but its pretty hard to avoid using your ankles! Strangely my hands and wrists are fine.

Pretty disappointed (to say the least) but was nice to be rid of it for a while. Anyway, if can go once, it can go away again! Just hope I can get a steriod injection pre Christmas as have reached my pain threshold. Not looking forward to taking sulfasalazine again, it makes me so thin and itchy.

Comments

• magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello,
    That's awful. It must have felt really terrible getting the same sensations back, I'm so sorry :(
    Magenta x
  • jimmy77
    jimmy77 Member Posts: 71
    Options
    becs123 wrote:
    I wrote earlier this year to say my RA was in remission. Well it seems to be coming back, starting in my ankles. I haven't taken anything for it for 9 months and everyone has told me how well I look. Have been trying to put up with it for a few weeks, but its pretty hard to avoid using your ankles! Strangely my hands and wrists are fine.

Pretty disappointed (to say the least) but was nice to be rid of it for a while. Anyway, if can go once, it can go away again! Just hope I can get a steriod injection pre Christmas as have reached my pain threshold. Not looking forward to taking sulfasalazine again, it makes me so thin and itchy.

Hi,

I know what your saying it's just un-believeble for those that have not experienced this. Even the rheumies have a hard time accepting this. My feet just started with pain 5 days ago and I am going to just up the prednisone for a few weeks, it's just not an easy conversation with the rheumy to say please give me an injection so it makes the holidays better. Been down that road with the supha and mtx too, and such a waste of time.

Have holidays anyway.

Jimmy77
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Hi Becs
    Nice to meet you and I'm sorry the b***dy thiong is back :(
    Maybe it'll just be a tidgy little weeny flare? :? (hopefully).
    I hope also that the steroid jab works and you do have a good Christmas.
    I have only been coming on since this kicked off for me at the end of May, so I'll be a newbie to you :wink: :!:
    Nice to speak to you
    Take care
    Toni x
  • fishyface
    fishyface Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Hey Becs...sorry to hear IT is creeping back. How did you manage to get it to go away for 9 months?? Best Wishes
  • becs123
    becs123 Bots Posts: 7
    Options
    fishyface wrote:
    Hey Becs...sorry to hear IT is creeping back. How did you manage to get it to go away for 9 months?? Best Wishes

Thanks for all your kind words. After a marathon effort I managed to get a steroid injection this evening at 7:30pm. Flying out to Ireland for Christmas tomorrow so really was my last chance. I am very much hoping that this is a tiny flare and I can go back to 'normal', after the steroid wears off.

I think the RA went away in the first place because I took all the stressful things out of my life (and in particular changed my job). I also concentrated on eating colourful fruit and veg for the antioxidents, went for regular massages with someone who understands RA and took lots of fish oils. I am hoping a concerted effort with my diet and a break at Christmas will help me. Its pretty tricky to take stress out of your life when your stress and upset is cause by RA, but I really think it works of you can have hope.

Hope you all have a great Christmas and thanks for being somewhere I turn to when I feel down about it all.
  • aanderson
    aanderson Member Posts: 25
    Options
    becs123 wrote:
    fishyface wrote:

Thanks for all your kind words. After a marathon effort I managed to get a steroid injection this evening at 7:30pm. Flying out to Ireland for Christmas tomorrow so really was my last chance. I am very much hoping that this is a tiny flare and I can go back to 'normal', after the steroid wears off.

I think the RA went away in the first place because I took all the stressful things out of my life (and in particular changed my job). I also concentrated on eating colourful fruit and veg for the antioxidents, went for regular massages with someone who understands RA and took lots of fish oils. I am hoping a concerted effort with my diet and a break at Christmas will help me. Its pretty tricky to take stress out of your life when your stress and upset is cause by RA, but I really think it works of you can have hope.

Hope you all have a great Christmas and thanks for being somewhere I turn to when I feel down about it all.
    Was sorry to read about your RA coming back I was very ill for two years with this and like you it went but for a amazing four years I was off all the drugs and life was brill! Then it crept back again destroyed my wrists right one has had to be fused and my knees (waiting for a double knee replacement). I was even discharged by my Rheumy but I was not warned about this, although you might not suffer pain etc without drugs it can silently carry on destroying joints. So is the pain RA or the damage it has done? now back on full drugs would I have been saved if I kept taking them? But when you feel ok its hard to take them and Rheumy never said this might happen. Have tried diet etc but has made no difference,am hoping for another break and will hope for you also