I'm a bit thick

Options
magenta
magenta Member Posts: 1,604
edited 21. Dec 2008, 10:22 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello,
What's hypermobility? Have I even got that right?
Thanks,
Magenta x

Comments

• loz23mcg
    loz23mcg Member Posts: 6
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi there,
    It's what I was diagnosed with before the doc realised I had Arthur as well, basically you're "double-jointed" and so you can bend a little easier than most - I can touch my thumb to my lower wrist, well I could before it got so painful! :)

There's more details about it here: http://www.arc.org.uk/arthinfo/patpubs/6019/6019.asp.

Hope that's helpful
    Loz
  • julies
    julies Member Posts: 68
    Options
    loz23mcg wrote:
    Hi there,
    It's what I was diagnosed with before the doc realised I had Arthur as well, basically you're "double-jointed" and so you can bend a little easier than most - I can touch my thumb to my lower wrist, well I could before it got so painful! :)

There's more details about it here: http://www.arc.org.uk/arthinfo/patpubs/6019/6019.asp[/u
    Loz
    I went on the site you mentioned above and couldn't believe it. My son who arthritis can do most of the things mentioned, he can touch his wrist with his thumb, bend his fingers right back and bend his elbows the wrong way (so can I) :lol: Maybe this is what is wrong with him and he doesn't have arthritis at all :shock:
    julie
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    magenta wrote:
    Hello,
    What's hypermobility? Have I even got that right?
    Thanks,
    Magenta x

Hypermobility is not a type of arthritis. If you have joint hypermobility, some or all of your joints will have an unusually large range of movement. Sometimes wrongly referred to as double jointed. :D

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • magenta
    Options
    Hi,
    Is there a link with it and arthritis? I used to do gymnastics and my hands, thumbs etc could be bent in all manner of odd ways when I was younger-can't do anything like this now. My new rhuemy mentioned hypermobility to a physio who was in the room at my appt.-just wondering now.
    Magenta
  • mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    Options
    hi,magenta. i had physio assessment on 22nd nov.said i had joint hypermobility.so asked about it.its when joints move further past normal range of movement.i.e as said double jointed.it can cause more pain,& increased risk of bone breakage if u fall.i have it in both elbows & right shoulder.oh the joys of arthr.debs
  • magenta
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies,
    Debs, that makes sense. I knew it didn't mean arthritis but knew there must be a connection.
    Magenta x
  • julies
    julies Member Posts: 68
    Options
    I went on the site you mentioned above and couldn't believe it. My son who arthritis can do most of the things mentioned, he can touch his wrist with his thumb, bend his fingers right back and bend his elbows the wrong way (so can I) :lol: Maybe this is what is wrong with him and he doesn't have arthritis at all :shock:
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    I think I read that people who have hypermobility in joints sometimes have arthritis in later life as they use their joints in ways that can cause damage. I may be wrong :?: :?: :?: