The down side of wearing rings on a chain!

Wonkylegs
Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
edited 20. Dec 2008, 18:41 in Living with Arthritis archive
HI - well what an afternoon I had!

Was doing so well :) , had ticked off several jobs on my list :D , and had driven to a nearby town for some books, a trip to the supermarket, and then to pick up hubby from work prior to going to see his mum to drop off pressies etc.

Then DISASTER! :cry: :shock: :cry: :shock: :cry: :shock: :cry:

loading up the bags into the boot, heard a small metallic sound like a ring-pull being kicked. Fortunately for me I looked down and saw one of the three rings that I wear on a chain round my neck :shock: . But only that one!

frantic searching of my person resulted in the chain being found, but not the other two rings - my engagement and wedding rings!

The supermarket staff were great, but didn't hold out much hope of them being handed in. :(:(:(

You should have seen me on my hands and knees :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: trying to see if they were under the car! retracing my steps etc.

I finally FOUND THEM! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D just before Hubby arrived - so at least I didn't have to tell him they were lost, only that they had been on a little 'trip'!

What a relief! I had done a 'Hansel & Gretel' trick gradually losing them between the store and the car :?

Not going to wear the chain again until I can get a jeweller to put a stronger clasp on - it wasn't broken, just seemed to have opened on its own :roll: :roll: :roll:

Guess 'Arthur' tries to get his kicks wherever he can!

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi wonky!
    You and your shopping trips eh?!
    Seriously though that must have been awful I bet you felt sick :oops: and so tearful :(
    I can imagine the rising panic I would have felt - almost as though it was me - NOW as I type!
    I am SOOOO glad you got them all back. Somebody was on your side there :)
    you need to have a chain to chain your gate up and a padlock from now on!!!
    Take care
    Toni xx
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Wonkylegs wrote:
    loading up the bags into the boot, heard a small metallic sound like a ring-pull being kicked. Fortunately for me I looked down and saw one of the three rings that I wear on a chain round my neck. But only that one!
    frantic searching of my person resulted in the chain being found, but not the other two rings - my engagement and wedding rings!

Not going to wear the chain again until I can get a jeweller to put a stronger clasp on - it wasn't broken, just seemed to have opened on its own.

Have a close look at the links of the chain and check if the joint on a link is on the end where the links meet. If so, they will pull apart easily. For security you need a chain with the joint on the side of the link or better a welded chain, ie. no joint on the link to pull out. :shock:

Ask the jeweller to fit a security clasp which won't open on its own and has a short length of chain and an extra clasp. They are usually fitted to bracelets. :D

Do you need a clasp at all if you don't wear the rings on your fingers. An endless chain would go over your head, while you couldn't separate the rings, they would always stay together. :lol:

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • Wonkylegs
    Toni - you are so right!!!! I should not be allowed out on my own when shopping is involved! :wink::wink:
    Perhaps something is telling me that supermarkets are not for me?!

Joseph - thanks for the advice - the links were fine and I have soldered links attaching the clasp, but it was the clasp that was broken :(

We have been to a jewellers today and I have chosen a different type of fastener that will be easier for me to open and close, but will also be more secure and unlikely to get pulled on clothing etc.

I must admit I hadn't thought about a safety chain, or a continuous chain. Perhaps those are for the future.

At the moment my rings are safely stowed until the chain is fixed!

So .... for shopping in the morning I will NOT be going on the bus, will NOT be wearing my rings and WILL have someone with me who can pack bags :wink::wink: :roll:

have a good weekend!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Wonky
    They're not letting you out again?!!!!!
    Well you be careful won't you - do as you are told by hubby who I hope will be looking after you.
    :wink: :!:
    Glad the clasp is sorted, although i reckon Joseph's idea is a good one you know the 'endless' chain.
    Seriously though I hope you have a good and uneventful shopping trip :wink:
    Take care
    Toni x
  • Wonkylegs
    Don't panic Tony!!!

The trip into town was uneventful and successful - no more adventures to report!

take care,
    A xxxxx
    PS - Merry CHristmas!!!!!!