some advice please?

Options
colinb
colinb Member Posts: 66
edited 19. Dec 2008, 17:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
my wife is currently experiencing a fairly regular occurence of numbness in her fingers and hands, along with a kind of pins and needles type feeling too. does anyone know if this is common with RA, especially when , as now, it is in a full blown flare up.
thanks. colin

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Colin
    This sounds a biot of a worry and I have to say new to me (but then again all this is new tio me - not diagnosed till Sept).
    I think I would get on to the rheumy nurse/team for advice.
    I do hope Maggy feels better soon. Give her my best
    Toni :)
  • roczko
    roczko Member Posts: 92
    Options
    Hi Colin

Whenever I have a flare affecting my hands they do feel all tingly like pins and needles; my fingers also feel as though they are moving even though they're not.

If they're really hot with inflammation, sweat drops off the end of my fingers too.

I hope your wife soon begins to feel better.

Best wishes

Patrick
  • scarecrow
    scarecrow Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi Colin

It sounds very like something I had in my left arm/hand. I had pins and needles down the outside of the forearm and pins and needles in the little finger and half the ring finger. It was a trapped ulnar nerve caused by changes to my elbow joint as a result of RA.

After 8 years I decided to have surgery in March to fix it as it had become a lot worse. It has been really successful. The pins and needles are almost gone and I no longer get any spasms from it.

They reached a diagnosis by asking me lots of questions and giving me a scan.
    K
  • colinb
    colinb Member Posts: 66
    Options
    thanks for advice all.
    colin
  • roczko
    roczko Member Posts: 92
    Options
    scarecrow wrote:
    Hi Colin

It sounds very like something I had in my left arm/hand. I had pins and needles down the outside of the forearm and pins and needles in the little finger and half the ring finger. It was a trapped ulnar nerve caused by changes to my elbow joint as a result of RA.

K

That's interesting, I have the same but it's my right arm and my little finger is often numb with pins and needles. Never thought of my elbow as being part of the problem.

Thanks

Patrick
  • scarecrow
    scarecrow Member Posts: 5
    Options
    I had numbness too - i'd forgotten. That's pretty much gone now. :D
  • magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    Options
    Hello Colin,
    Sorry to hear Maggie having this new problem. I get numbness in my thumbs (have it now in left thumb) and some fingers and the feeling can travel into my hand. I've been tested for thyroid problems etc but nothing come back. Sometimes, when I lie down, my right side from my shoulder down to my finger-tips goes numb. My rhuemy wants me to attend a day ward next month for a review where they might test for carpal tunnel but he doesn't think that's the problem. He mentioned another thing, think it was a 'nerve ablation'? Is she going to her doc? Hope she gets some answers soon,
    Magenta x