Incapacity for work

Options
cancan
cancan Member Posts: 43
edited 28. Dec 2008, 07:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all, I have been getting IB since I was retired through ill health 6 years ago. I don't get the full amount as I have a works pension and therefore some is deducted.I am due to get my full state pension in approx 1 year. I have now just recieved a questionaire to fill out for Incapacity for work plus I may have to have a medical. By the time they receive it and get my medical done, presumably then send me for job interviews if I don't get through I will be nearly retirement age and my IB will stop anyway. To me this is a total waste of money. I am inclined to tell them where to shove it......what would you do?

Comments

• michelle22
    michelle22 Member Posts: 93
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    If it was me I would tell them to shove it if you can afford it but I am not happy with the government just now
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, If I where you I'd ring them up and ask about the reasons for this, and point out your age and position. It may be a mistake, as I agree it sounds a compleate waste of time and money for all concerned, not least the governments :roll: Good luck :) Sue
  • roczko
    roczko Member Posts: 92
    Options
    I could be wrong but I thought that even though IB stops at retirement, the amount paid as a pension is equal to the amount of the IB (which could be higher than an ordinary pension).

If that's still the case, it would be worth filling in the form to make sure your IB continues until retirement.

Patrick
  • jojo12
    jojo12 Member Posts: 30
    Options
    Hi. Before I reached 60, a couple of years ago now, I received IB (long term) and this did stop at 60 and I had to fill in a form to claim state pension and it worked out higher than IB. As I understand it, you cannot receive IB after 60 (women) 65 (men) . Worth contacting the IB dept and having a word about any medicals etc in view of your age. Good luck.
  • cancan
    Options
    I have filled it in now, took ages. as I can't write, I had to type it and cut and stick!!
    If I get asked for a medical that is when I shall point out the sillyness of it.
    Does anyone know what happens to DLA when you hit retirement?
  • jojo12
    jojo12 Member Posts: 30
    Options
    I am retired and still get DLA.
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    jojo12 wrote:
    I am retired and still get DLA.

Hi folks, it is all a bit of a mine field but you need to tread carefuly. I think when you get these type of forms or have any concern about future payment you should talk to the CAB. They give out great advice, can help with the forms and paperwork and tell you what you are entitled to.
    Colin
  • cancan
    Options
    Doesn't DLA turn in to Attendance Allowance when you hit retirement age?