Painful knee

magenta
magenta Member Posts: 1,604
edited 23. Dec 2008, 03:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
Back again with another question :D
I woke this morning with a very painful left knee. It's at the side (on the inside, the bit that touches the other knee-hope that makes sense?)
I've not banged it but it feels swollen and very painful to touch :( Can that happen with arthritis i.e. for joint and/or ligament to be painful to touch?
Ta much,
Magenta x

Comments

• jimmy77
    jimmy77 Member Posts: 71
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    magenta wrote:
    I woke this morning with a very painful left knee. It's at the side (on the inside, the bit that touches the other knee-hope that makes sense?)
    I've not banged it but it feels swollen and very painful to touch :( Can that happen with arthritis i.e. for joint and/or ligament to be painful to touch?
    Ta much,
    Magenta x

Hi,

Oh ya, that should sounds like RA. If you didn't injure it by a fall it is, or the start of a flair. There's many ways to handle this but, don't just feel you have to tough it.

Take care.
    jimmy77
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    jimmy77 wrote:
    magenta wrote:
    Ta much,
    Magenta x

Hi,

Oh ya, that should sounds like RA. If you didn't injure it by a fall it is, or the start of a flair. There's many ways to handle this but, don't just feel you have to tough it.

Take care.
    jimmy77

Sounds a bit like RA to me to, mine swap from one knee to the other same with all my joints and then at times like now all together, it could well be the start a flair See the doctor and get some good pain killers in before Christmas, they can give you something to take down the swelling and ease it.
    Take Care
    Colin
  • magenta
    Thanks to you both for your replies, this is a new one for me. Another thing to get used to. The pain btw has travelled into the side of my calf muscle, I'll keep an eye on it- typical for this to happen when the drs are shutting up for christmas!!
    Magenta x
  • eilean1
    eilean1 Member Posts: 12
    This is so obvious that you will probably readoin! But being new to this world, and rather not be here, merci!, I have found that I get so much better a sleep with a really square, unyielding pillow on the bed between my knees. I find that s better than the great big padded thing you stick around the back.

Eilean
  • tamnwill
    tamnwill Member Posts: 93
    magenta wrote:
    Ta much,
    Magenta x

Hi there, try an ice pack, it does make the swelling subside, I have also been advised to swap between heat and cold, so maybe swap and icepack after an hour with a microwaveable bean bag and then back again, also sleep with pillow between knees :o) hth xx Personally after 3 months of this knee trouble the only thing that reduced the swelling is a 25ml dose of steroids!!!
    Energy is eternal delight.
    William Blake (1757-1827)

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
    Mark Twain
  • magenta
    Hi again,
    My leg now is really bothering me now and not my knee :? I will try pillow thing-used one when I was pregnant-a big triangular thing! It's sore but not getting any worse so I suppose that's something :D I'm busy doing last-minute shopping now so that's not helping-c'est la vie!
    Thanks everyone,
    Magenta x
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    hi hot and cold can work for me some times i will have a shower and use hot or cold on my legs and knees and i hate cold water , but will send gentle hugs to you ,,{may}xx
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx