Why is going down harder than going up?

Options
greyheron
greyheron Member Posts: 167
edited 8. Jan 2009, 17:35 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone.

Had a TKR 6 weeks ago, saw my consultant yesterday who was pleased with my progress and said that I could try going up and down stairs in the 'ordinary way' rather than what I call 'dot and carry one' which I was taught by the physios after the op.

So I've been having a go.

Going upstairs is a dream - the first time I've gone up steps without pain for 30 years. Obviously there's still stiffness there and it's 'work in progress' - but I'm pleased.

But going down steps is really hard - it's as though my knee's forgotten how to bend! Going down backwards is a bit easier but forwards is going to need work! Perhaps the quads aren't strong enough yet? (Still doing the exercises!)

II'm booked in for physio in the new year so I'm sure will get help from them. But if anyone on the forum has experienced this and has any advice, I'd be very grateful.

Best wishes to all

Wendy

Comments

• aanderson
    aanderson Member Posts: 25
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    greyheron wrote:
    Hi everyone.

Had a TKR 6 weeks ago, saw my consultant yesterday who was pleased with my progress and said that I could try going up and down stairs in the 'ordinary way' rather than what I call 'dot and carry one' which I was taught by the physios after the op.

So I've been having a go.

Going upstairs is a dream - the first time I've gone up steps without pain for 30 years. Obviously there's still stiffness there and it's 'work in progress' - but I'm pleased.

But going down steps is really hard - it's as though my knee's forgotten how to bend! Going down backwards is a bit easier but forwards is going to need work! Perhaps the quads aren't strong enough yet? (Still doing the exercises!)

II'm booked in for physio in the new year so I'm sure will get help from them. But if anyone on the forum has experienced this and has any advice, I'd be very grateful.

Best wishes to

Its all to do with body weight as you go down all weight is on the knees was told to go down on bad first but am waiting for a double knee replacement so havent a choice both shot thanks to RA :!:
  • greyheron
    greyheron Member Posts: 167
    Options
    Its all to do with body weight as you go down all weight is on the knees was told to go down on bad first but am waiting for a double knee replacement so havent a choice both shot thanks to RA :!:[/quote]

Thanks for that - makes sense! (Especially as I'm overweight - new year resolution is to give my new knee a chance by losing weight!)

It is getting better - I've got a shallow step down into my kitchen which I'm practising on, my main staircase has very deep steps (all my visitors with dodgy knees complain about it!), and I can now go down that step with the operated leg second / doing the bending but it takes a real mental effort! Going up is fine.

Sorry to hear that both your knees are 'shot' and good luck with the replacements - do they do them both at the same time, that sounds like quite a rehab challenge!

Wendy
  • aanderson
    aanderson Member Posts: 25
    Options
    greyheron wrote:
    Its all to do with body weight as you go down all weight is on the knees was told to go down on bad first but am waiting for a double knee replacement so havent a choice both shot thanks to RA :!:

Thanks for that - makes sense! (Especially as I'm overweight - new year resolution is to give my new knee a chance by losing weight!)

It is getting better - I've got a shallow step down into my kitchen which I'm practising on, my main staircase has very deep steps (all my visitors with dodgy knees complain about it!), and I can now go down that step with the operated leg second / doing the bending but it takes a real mental effort! Going up is fine.

Sorry to hear that both your knees are 'shot' and good luck with the replacements - do they do them both at the same time, that sounds like quite a rehab challenge!

Wendy[/quote] Mine are so bad they are willing to do them both haven't a good one to support the other! Am dreading it though but at moment cant walk far stairs very painful and bars round the loo cos I can't get up easily so life can only get better I hope
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    I had both my knees done at the same time 8 years ago because mine were as bad as each other. :( They also chose it do it this way because I was 42 at the time and my surgeon considered I was still young enough to cope with it. I did find it a challenge afterwards especially the first few days of using them as it was quite painful (a different pain to the bone-on-bone pain) but I was glad it wasn't a staggered operation of six weeks between each - I would have found it difficult facing surgery so soon.

I would think there are quite a few people on this forum who've had bi-lateral TKRs and hopefully they'll add their experiences too.

Luv Legs :)
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Yes, I've not given it much thought but I find going down stairs or hills harder. Even before I had anything wrong with me, I used to find when I was out walking, that comming down hills was very hard on the legs!!!!! Sue