new to board :o)

Options
tamnwill
tamnwill Member Posts: 93
edited 6. Jan 2009, 09:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi there, I'm Tam, I've just turned 40 and feel about 90!!! Diagnosed with Arthritis 18 months ago, consultant thinks it's the Psoriatic one, although I've never had psoriasis of the skin. started taking Methotrexate 14 weeks ago but feeling really rough on it. Tried Sulphasasoline but was allergic to that! Going through a flare up at the mo, where by I have swelling in my knee and it looks like I should be spinning in a kabab shop! Ganglions on my wrist and thumb joint, swelling to the temples sometimes when I eat! (anyone else get this?) feels like a tight band around my head for a few moment after! Have this bug going around at the mo, which is the stomach and chest thing............so on the whole not too brill at all. I have a 5 year old and was widowed 3 years ago, and things started to show up after that really! Guess it's stress?!!!
Anyway, thought I'd give you a low down, literally, lol, and introduce myself. Glad I found this forum......perhaps I wn't feel so isolated with this condition, and maybe will get some pearls of wisdom from others. :o) xx
Energy is eternal delight.
William Blake (1757-1827)

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
Mark Twain

Comments

• greyheron
    greyheron Member Posts: 167
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    tamnwill wrote:
    Hi there, I'm Tam, I've just turned 40 and feel about 90!!! Diagnosed with Arthritis 18 months ago, consultant thinks it's the Psoriatic one, although I've never had psoriasis of the skin. started taking Methotrexate 14 weeks ago but feeling really rough on it. Tried Sulphasasoline but was allergic to that! Going through a flare up at the mo, where by I have swelling in my knee and it looks like I should be spinning in a kabab shop! Ganglions on my wrist and thumb joint, swelling to the temples sometimes when I eat! (anyone else get this?) feels like a tight band around my head for a few moment after! Have this bug going around at the mo, which is the stomach and chest thing............so on the whole not too brill at all. I have a 5 year old and was widowed 3 years ago, and things started to show up after that really! Guess it's stress?!!!
    Anyway, thought I'd give you a low down, literally, lol, and introduce myself. Glad I found this forum......perhaps I wn't feel so isolated with this condition, and maybe will get some pearls of wisdom from others. :o) xx

Hi Tam

I'[ve got osteoarthritis so a different condition from yours, but this quick note is to say welcome to the forum and that I've certainly found a lot of helpful advice and support on here so I hope you do too.

All the best

Wendy
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi Tam, I have OA and Rheumatoid Athritis, I am 50 but join you in feeling 90, I just wanted to welcome you to the forum, everyone is really friendly and helpful, you will find it addictive though love Jaspercatxxx
  • redpoppy
    redpoppy Member Posts: 108
    Options
    hi tam,ive got PA too i only have psoriasis in my scalp luckily.ive had it for 18 years now.if you need any advice feel free to ask me.you will get lots of good advice and support on here from all the lovely people.
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Hi & welcome!

I have Rheumatoid arthritis, but know what it is like to be 40 and feeling 90!

Be kind to yourself and try not to be superwoman ...... it isn't possible!

take care
    A xxxxx
  • magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    Options
    Hello Tam,
    Sorry to hear you've had such an awful time. I've got 2 kids, girl 5 and boy nearly 3. It's hard isn't it? I love them dearly but it can be a struggle. I have sero-ve arthritis at the mo but I think I may have psoriatic ( ? ) arthur too. Welcome to the forum :D
    Magenta x
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    magenta wrote:
    Hello Tam,
    Sorry to hear you've had such an awful time. I've got 2 kids, girl 5 and boy nearly 3. It's hard isn't it? I love them dearly but it can be a struggle. I have sero-ve arthritis at the mo but I think I may have psoriatic ( ? ) arthur too. Welcome to the forum :D
    Magenta x

Hi Tam i have no words of wisdome for you but you have found a great bunch of people here. Sorry to hear your having such a bad time and hope things settle a bit for you soon.
    Colin
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    hi tam i have oa in my knees its bad enough for me as i know there is alot of folk with worse , i have fount every body on here to be informative sensetive very caring , and so funny at times if all you need is a laugh . so a warm welcome from me and gentle hugs {may}xx
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • debsmartin
    debsmartin Member Posts: 209
    Options
    Hello and welcome, this is a great site to join, one thing is for sure you will never feel on your own again everyone is so quick to help you when you're feeling down.

debs
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Hi Tam
    and welcome to the forum from me too!
    Good to have you on board.
    Toni x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi Tam, . You certainly sound as if you've had quite a time of it, and to have a tummy bug too, well thats just too much! Hope you're 5 year old does'nt have it, or did he give it to you? I have oa, no kids, unfortunatly couldn't, but I'm married, so not alone. Love and best wishes, Sue. xx
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Tam and welcome,

I've had RA for 22 years now, get all the usual swellings and pain you mention but the temple pain when eating isn't one I've experienced - do you suppose it could be referred pain from your jaw - do nerves work like that? I don't know - just thinking of possibilities - could it be linked to headaches with the cold/stomach bug around at the mo.? Whatever it is I hope you feel better very soon.

Luv Legs :)
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • tamnwill
    Options
    I am over my virus now so feeling much better thanks :o) I guess I experienced a bad flare up of the the A as a result of having a virus. Woke at 2.30am this morning and because I wasn't in pain in my body, decided to stay up till 5.30am, just to enjoy it, lol............how sad its that!!! lol. Anyway, I hope everyone had a lovely Xmas and thank you for making me feel so welcome............
    Ohh and no, the swelling to the temples has been for the last 12 months.......looks kinda funny so have to have 'big hair' when eating out to disguise them :o) and so's not to look too alien to other diners!!! But as that's not very often, it really doesn't matter............am grateful I still have hair at the mo' to make big!!!! :o) Funny how your priorities change hey! and yet I can still be so upset about the little things like thinning hair.............seems so trivial in the scheme of things.........new years resolution will be to 'accept myself' a little more and continue to try and chill out. If anyone has any 'things' that help them to relax, I'd love to hear. Thanks for your time. New Year wishes to all xxx
    Tam xx

lindalegs wrote:
    Hi Tam and welcome,

I've had RA for 22 years now, get all the usual swellings and pain you mention but the temple pain when eating isn't one I've experienced - do you suppose it could be referred pain from your jaw - do nerves work like that? I don't know - just thinking of possibilities - could it be linked to headaches with the cold/stomach bug around at the mo.? Whatever it is I hope you feel better very soon.

Luv Legs :)
    :):):D:wink:

Mark Twain
  • ktl297
    ktl297 Member Posts: 50
    Options
    Hi Tam,

I have PA too and I get pain and tenderness in my temples and jaw. PA often attacks the entheses which is the bit where the tendon/ligaments insert into the bone or where the muscle joins the tendon. You have tendons and ligaments in the temple area that attach your facial and jaw muscles as well holding your skull bones together. If these joints are inflamed you will get pain and tenderness as well as headaches. I get this lots... There may also be some pain due to stiffness and inflammation in your jaw and neck. I hope this helps to explain it - over the last few years I've done loads of research - let me know if you've got any other questions. I hope you're feeling better! KT
  • tamnwill
    Options
    Thank the lord, someone who understand and doesn't think I'm bonkers!!! It's visibly swollen on sides of head when eating, but no one says until now what it is...........so thank you. my jaw sometimes comes 'unlocked' and moves about more than it should!! feel like a camel, lol
    May I ask what drugs you take please? Drs are trying to find something 4 me without luck so far........this past month has been particularly bad, seem to be getting all the viruses going around and feeling so rough with them 'and' the flare ups!!! No-one has ever explained PA to me! I don't get skin probs tho........all my consultant will say when I ask is that I have inflammatory arthur, but not how I can help myself. Therefore ANY help or information would be GEATLY appreciated. xxx Thanks for your time, Tam xxx

ktl297 wrote:
    Hi Tam,

I have PA too and I get pain and tenderness in my temples and jaw. PA often attacks the entheses which is the bit where the tendon/ligaments insert into the bone or where the muscle joins the tendon. You have tendons and ligaments in the temple area that attach your facial and jaw muscles as well holding your skull bones together. If these joints are inflamed you will get pain and tenderness as well as headaches. I get this lots... There may also be some pain due to stiffness and inflammation in your jaw and neck. I hope this helps to explain it - over the last few years I've done loads of research - let me know if you've got any other questions. I hope you're feeling better! KT

Mark Twain
  • ktl297
    ktl297 Member Posts: 50
    Options
    Hi Tam,

I am sorry you're having a tough time, as time goes on I am sure things will get clearer - getting a firm diagnosis is almost impossible as they can only match up symptoms and rule out things they can test for as PA doesn't have a blood test... I started out taking diclofenac and paracetamol. Then I got referred to rheumatology and saw a fantastic Consultant who linked the arthritis to a tiny patch of psoriasis I had had on my scalp for years and years. So by eliminating everything they could test for it came down to PA. The Consultant felt that the disease had been aggressive and so I went onto methotrexate (MTX) straight away. MTX is a DMARD (disease modifying anti-rheumatic drug) that suppresses the immune system so should slow the disease down. I can't tolerate high enough doses and it didn't help me much so the Dr added etoricoxib which is a controversial anti-inflammatory that you can't take if you have a history of heart or circulatory problems (which I don't). I then started on infusions (drips) of infliximab every 8 weeks on top of the MTX (which you take to make sure you don't develop an immune response to the drugs). Infliximab is an anti-TNF drug that suppresses only the part of the immune system thought to be most responsible for arthritis. It worked for about 3 weeks after every infusion which wasn't ideal so after almost a year of misery I switched to another anit-TNF called etanercept (or enbrel) you inject yourself with it every week but it didn't work for me so I switched again to a last chance of adalimumab (humira) which I inject myself with every fortnight. I now take a low dose of etoricoxib every day and painkillers when I need them. The humira works OK but I am prone to infections, usually low level such as a mild ear infection or an infected hair follicle etc but I have to stop the humirs and MTX to allow my immune system a chance - if I don't start getting better in a few day I have to get antibiotics (more often than I used to). The PA affects every joint - some more than others. I get sacro-ilitis which is inflammation of the joint where your spine fits into your pelvis, I get inflammation through the whole of my spine and neck, costo-chondritis (inflammation of the tiny joints in the chest and ribs), inflammation in my hips and all of the smaller joints as well as the stuff I mentioned about my skull and jaw. The pattern is enthesitis rather than inflammation of the joint itself so I don't have deformed joints but I get swelling around the joints. If you have more questions please just ask me - I don't get on here all the time as I can't log on at work (we have random internet filters) but I will reply evntually! KT