Psoriatic Arthritis - Sulfasalazine or methotrexate?

Options
fragglerock
fragglerock Member Posts: 4
edited 22. Dec 2008, 20:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello,

I'm 20 years old, female and have just been diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis. The pain isn't too bad, my feet and knuckles are the most affected, but I'm finding the mood swings and fatigue the most troubling at the moment. Thankfully my psoriasis is fairly minimal.

The rheumatologist has recommended either methotrexate or sulfasalazine, which obviously both have their unwelcome side effects. I'm leaning more towards sulfasalazine at the moment. But does anybody know which one is better at minimising further joint damage?

I was just wondering if anybody with psoriatic arthritis could tell me about their experiences with both these drugs (and any others!) please - good and bad! Is there anything different that you've found particularly helpful?

Thanks very much,

fragglerock

Comments

• redpoppy
    redpoppy Member Posts: 108
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi fragglerock.ive tried both sulpha and methatrexate.they both worked for me for a while.metha worked for me for about 6 years.but to be honest everyone gets different results from the medications.ive had PA for 18 years so i have tried a few different tablets over the years.you could probably try sulpha and see how you get on,it is about trial and errorr realy at your early stage..anyway im sure you will gets lots of advice from others on here too then you can reach your decision.
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    redpoppy wrote:
    hi fragglerock.ive tried both sulpha and methatrexate.they both worked for me for a while.metha worked for me for about 6 years.but to be honest everyone gets different results from the medications.ive had PA for 18 years so i have tried a few different tablets over the years.you could probably try sulpha and see how you get on,it is about trial and errorr realy at your early stage..anyway im sure you will gets lots of advice from others on here too then you can reach your decision.

Hi Fraggl could have picked a shorter name lol, I have RA and SA since 1980 psoriasis since 1970 although the RA and SA never got serious untill about four years ago. My own fault i was told i had it but done nothing about it because it never bothered me that much, boy do i regret it. Over the years i have tried most things including the sulpha and Methatrexate am now on Methatrexate and embrel along with steroids and a host of other things. It really is trial and error and same for the side effects what effects one may not effect another. However i could never get my psoriasis under controle and i tried for nearly 40 years, you know the way it is with the creams and stuff its hard to be consistant with yourself. That all changed when i went on the methatrexate, within six months i was almost clear. Today you would need a microscope to find any signs of it on me. the downside is i suffer bad with the side effects of that drug but hey its great not having the psoriasis. But you need to talk to your rheumy ask as many questions as you can and take notes in with you if you have to. just remember we are all different what works for me may not work for you and the same with the side effects. I talk to loads of people at the clinic and many of them have little side effects. Regardless of the psoriasis get your PA under controle take care and i hope things work out for you.
    Colin