A lot more back pain

Options
woodbon
woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
edited 4. Jan 2009, 07:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've just got back from seeing the duty GP. For the last 2 days I've had a lot of pain across my back and have not been able to sleep. During the night and when I got up the pain was very severe, so went to the doctors. He was very nice and looked at my back and neck. He said it was all coming from my neck. He also told me about problems with my uler nerve which had showed up in tests for carpel tunnel. He said my x-rays and examination showed that I have a lot of problems in the neck and was shocked the hospital had left me without further rheummy appointents or given the GP feed-back. X-rays showed a neck of a much older person!! He says I have torn a muscle or something in my neck as they are weak and hes given me methocaronol to stop the spasms. Anyone heard of these before? They may make me sleepy but that is a good thing, :) I have to go back in a month and see my GP to get the hospital moving. In a way I think this has been a good experience as in a few minuetes he told me more than the whole lot of medics I've seen, and I know I'm not imagining things :!: Happy New Year Sue :P :P

Comments

• magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    woodbon wrote:
    I've just got back from seeing the duty GP. For the last 2 days I've had a lot of pain across my back and have not been able to sleep. During the night and when I got up the pain was very severe, so went to the doctors. He was very nice and looked at my back and neck. He said it was all coming from my neck. He also told me about problems with my uler nerve which had showed up in tests for carpel tunnel. He said my x-rays and examination showed that I have a lot of problems in the neck and was shocked the hospital had left me without further rheummy appointents or given the GP feed-back. X-rays showed a neck of a much older person!! He says I have torn a muscle or something in my neck as they are weak and hes given me methocaronol to stop the spasms. Anyone heard of these before? They may make me sleepy but that is a good thing, :) I have to go back in a month and see my GP to get the hospital moving. In a way I think this has been a good experience as in a few minuetes he told me more than the whole lot of medics I've seen, and I know I'm not imagining things :!: Happy New Year Sue :P :P

Hi Sue,
    Glad to hear you've had a positive experience but unhappy that you're in more pain. Is it Methocarbamol? It's a skeletal muscle relaxant, bit like diazepam and it will make you sleepy and best to avoid alcohol :cry: It's maybe been prescribed (if it is this?) as a short-term muscle relaxant which would make sense if dr thinks you've damaged something in your neck. Please take care, and hope 2009 brings you happiness and health :wink:
    Magenta x
  • woodbon
    Options
    Hi

Yes this is the drug, and its only for a short time to allow things to settle. Thank you, Megenta and Happy New Year!! :):)
  • mike77
    mike77 Member Posts: 879
    Options
    hi woodbon,

I too was having a lot of pain in my back , I knew that there was oa in my lumbar spine but it was worse now also pain at neck was going right across, the gp looked at the back and read notes from the rheumy and said looks like the oa is getting worse , so more pain killers only thing is the manufactors has run out the chemist hopes to have some in two weeks time. it sore standing now my brother has anykling spondolosis ( hard to spell but he is on waiting list for a fusion to stop it spreading )

happy new year

Mike R & Hazel & MIke JR :):):):):):):):)
    Mike R & Hazel & MikeJR
  • woodbon
    Options
    Hi Mike,
    I sympathise with you. My neck and back are very painful at the moment. I can't sit for long or stand for long, or lie down for long. Having lots of spasms across shoulders etc. The medication I've been given Methocabinol??spelling is helping by making me sleepy and last night I managed quite well, but it is only a stop gap and I couldn't live like this, feeling musy headed or dozing :? Hopefully, a different way of coping or painkiller will be suggested by the rheummy, is what the GP said. My own GP, who has been off on long term sick is back next week. The emergency gp said give it a month with these pills to rest it :( don't want to wait that long, but by the time i've got an appointment.... I hope you have a Happy New Year and the new pain killers work :wink: Love Sue xx
  • magenta
    Options
    Hello all,
    My back/hip pain has increased since my neck has been giving me problems. I'm due to go into hospital at end of month for a day ward review appt. so will hear back about xrays done on back/hips. They were wanting to rule out ankylosing spondolitis. I think I have probs with bones in neck region and this is causing me alot of other referred pain. I would like another MRI to rule out stuff. Mike-did you get results from your MRI?
    Hope your pain subsides soon Sue,
    Magenta x
  • woodbon
    Options
    The doc at the hospital said that my MRI showed 'wear and tear of the cervical spine' The GP I saw on Friday, said the he could see that the movement in my spine was very restricted and I had spasms causing pain was astonished that the hospital hasn't sent a report of the MRI or follow-up appointment - execpt for a sheet of paper they gave me which was just a standard form with the diagnosis as the initials o.a adn c.t.s. and the name of the durg injected. :shock: :? When I asked the, I suppose, rhuemmy about the result of the MRI and what it ment he said 'no operation on neck, its too dangerous, don't ask me, no surgion would go near you with a knife'. Quite reassuring, as surgery is the last thing I want! He did say that I will need carpel tunnel surgery though. :? The emergency GP said to chase things up with my own GP after the holidays. Why is nothing ever simple? :? Hope you have a restful weekend. Love Sue
  • mike77
    Options
    Hi magenta,

I Phoned just before they closed at Christmas to see if the results were in yet, no joy , the secatary said there is a backlog ( now where have I heared that before, oh yes famous saying of the DLA )

So I told her I would phone in the new year to see what is happening boy they sure do like to keep you hanging on a string. I just wish they would do something the gp that I saw said oh I see they are keen to do keyhole surgery but that will only give you short time relief ( I dont care how short as long as it is some relief)

hope everyone thats having pain any where , will have be painfree soon

take care all

Mike R :):):):):):):) & Hazel & Mike JR :D:D:D:D:D:D
    Mike R & Hazel & MikeJR
  • woodbon
    Options
    hi Mike
    I hope you get your results soon. I'm hopless at waiting - patience is NOT my middle name! My new muscle relaxent drugs are helping but no alchol allowed :cry: Still, I am able to sleep a little better, but lieing down is the worst and most painful thing....Oh well... Hope you get some news soon. Love Sue
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    Sorry to read my forum peeps are having a bad time,pain wise...hope things ease a bit for you...i havent heard of the drug mentined at the top though....hope its working. take care all
  • magenta
    Options
    woodbon wrote:
    The doc at the hospital said that my MRI showed 'wear and tear of the cervical spine' The GP I saw on Friday, said the he could see that the movement in my spine was very restricted and I had spasms causing pain was astonished that the hospital hasn't sent a report of the MRI or follow-up appointment - execpt for a sheet of paper they gave me which was just a standard form with the diagnosis as the initials o.a adn c.t.s. and the name of the durg injected. :shock: :? When I asked the, I suppose, rhuemmy about the result of the MRI and what it ment he said 'no operation on neck, its too dangerous, don't ask me, no surgion would go near you with a knife'. Quite reassuring, as surgery is the last thing I want! He did say that I will need carpel tunnel surgery though. :? The emergency GP said to chase things up with my own GP after the holidays. Why is nothing ever simple? :? Hope you have a restful weekend. Love Sue

Hi Sue,
    My weekend so far has been busy, never mind-eh? I'm interested to hear what surgery they will do for Carpel tunnel. I hate it when you're told to chase things up-why should we be doing that?
    Hope you've had a good weekend :wink:
    Magenta x
  • mike77
    Options
    hi all

just tried the new dose of pain killers, my back was in awful pain it did the job ( for a while ) but the pain is back the moment I move now I cant seem to find the script for the new painkillers as the chemist told me to try in 2 weeks time and if they are still out of them ask the gp to issuse another scipt ,,( as the first one is only valid for a month.

:cry::cry: sorry to hear that a lot of people are having pain :cry::cry:

MikeR & Hazel & Mike JR
    Mike R & Hazel & MikeJR