Diagnosis?

Options
jackie1955
jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
edited 9. Jan 2009, 16:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
Just wondering if anyone can tell me how long it takes to get your diagnosis confirmed once you have been to see a Rheumy :?:
And what tests they will be doing :?:

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Jackie
    They may well be able to tell you straight away if your bloods were positive and they can see other clinical features. For me it was my second apt.
    They usually examine you (clean undies needed!) looking at your joints etc. I had xrays (chest as RA can effect lungs I think), but may do other xrays too. Usual weight and blood pressure and maybe more bloods.
    They will wany a good history from you so it's an idea to write a few bits down such as when where what happened and for how long. It is usefull to let them know how it affects your life too such as stairs baths or any thing like driving etc.
    Hopefull thatll be about it. When is it you go Jackie?
    Others may tell you more, but that's what happened from me. Only last August so I remember.
    Good luck and i hope you are feeling ok
    Toni x
  • jackie1955
    Options
    Hi Toni, I'm waiting for the appointment to come. Only got the blood result on Monday, my gp phoned me to say it was positive and he would refer me to the rheumy.

Yes, I will write everything down that I can remember - but what I don't understand is that apart from the pains/stiffness/swollen joints/aching muscles :roll: I've never felt 'ill' or any more tired than usual!

Does everyone always 'feel' ill? You know, like if you've got flu or just feeling unwell :?:
  • averyniceman
    averyniceman Member Posts: 75
    Options
    I'm in the same position as you -- GP found elevated RF and I've got infalmmation in the joints of one hand. But I don't think I feel ill or tired -- just aprehensive!
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi, I was diagnosed the same day as I saw the consultant, she did extra blood tests, weighed me and did a whole range of x-rays, not all consultants do the same, so it will all depend on what your consultant does, and how easy it is to diagnose, hope you get on ok love Jaspercatxx
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi Jackie
    I did feel unwell and had a slightly raised temperature during the flare - I don't feel unwell at all now. If you have a thermometer you could check your temp yourself. Remember of course that things like paracetamol do reduce temps and ibuprofen too.
    I hope the apt comes through v soon.
    Do let us know how you get on - you may well get diagnosis ob the day. Although this is upsetting - at least you 'know' and get treatment. I started my DMARDS after the first visit.
    Take care
    Toni x
  • jackie1955
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your replies, I feel I've got a whole host of new friends who understand how I'm feeling!

averyniceman: Yes, we seem to be in the same position and like you I am feeling very apprehensive! Since monday I have gone to sleep thinking about it, woke up thinking about it, and am constantly looking for physical changes - even asking my family if I 'look ill'....... :(

Well folks, I've given myself a kick up the rear :)

Dammit! I'm going to do all I can to help myself! Any tips anyone :?:
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi Jackie
    You HAVE got a new bunch of friends who know how you feel!
    I understand about thinking about it all the time :? I felt like I couildn't care about much else at first and everyone here kept me sane. I spent the first week or so crying and they were great :)
    Keep up the positive attitude - it is the best medication anyone could have!
    Toni x
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Along with bloods, x-rays, joint range tests, medical history, weight, height (last two for adminstering correct medication) I think you may have to give a urine sample too. All Rheumys are different and some are more thorough/efficient/prompt than others - hope you get a good one.

I think the more active your arthritis the more tired you feel afterall pain is very tiring because it takes so much more effort to do things. It's probably because when arthritis is very active we often have figure out how we're going to do something rather than before when we'd do it without thinking about it - and that can even be something as simple as getting out of a chair or getting off the loo or even turning over in bed :shock: Some people do have a high temperature during flare-ups (like Toni), night sweats and even joints aching all the time even when inactive. Even though we're all different you'll find people on here with common syptoms to you so my tip is ask anything you like and you'll be rewarded with a wealth of knowledge from the true experts of this disease. :wink:

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • jimmy77
    jimmy77 Member Posts: 71
    Options
    jackie1955 wrote:
    Just wondering if anyone can tell me how long it takes to get your diagnosis confirmed once you have been to see a Rheumy :?:
    And what tests they will be doing :?:

Hi Jackie,

Some forms of arthritis are progressive, so in my case it took close to 5 years to diagnose. I would go in and out of painful flairs. Years later now, that I have RA, one rheumy said I probably had un-diagnosed lyme disease and it manifested into RA. Alot of the tests done are not totally conclusive so you can keep an open mind.

Good luck.
    jimmy77
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    Options
    jackie1955 wrote:
    Thank you all so much for your replies, I feel I've got a whole host of new friends who understand how I'm feeling!

averyniceman: Yes, we seem to be in the same position and like you I am feeling very apprehensive! Since monday I have gone to sleep thinking about it, woke up thinking about it, and am constantly looking for physical changes - even asking my family if I 'look ill'....... :(

Well folks, I've given myself a kick up the rear :)

Dammit! I'm going to do all I can to help myself! Any tips anyone :?:

Jackie,

You've already taken a huge step by coming on here, airing your concerns and by acknowledging that there is life after diagnosis. Be proud of yourself you come a long way girl!!!

Love Kate x
  • jackie1955
    Options
    Thank you, thank you! I've just read all your lovely replies, and have a lump in my throat :cry:

I'm so glad I've found you :)