viral illness

specialblue
specialblue Bots Posts: 6
hi happy new year to you all i have been unwell since the 16th of december 2008 i just couldnt get out of bed i ached all over kept being sick my hubby tried to get me to sit up but i just couldnt i didnt eat any thing for 5 days and i was only able to have sips of water anyway so i stopped my damards as i couldnt keep anything down and with me not eating i am still not right went to clinic today to see the nurse and i asked if i could come off the metho and sulpa as i think they didnt help with me having this illness so the nurse is going to put me on leflumide not sure of the spelling she has given me a leaflet to read i am to phone and make a appointment when i feel better but reading it they have the same side effects ie lower your immune system which makes you more susepitble to infections is there nothing to give us except medicines that lower the immune system thanks for reading this i needed a moan really fed up at the moment sorry i moan at you thanks julie

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,482
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Julie,

Sorry to hear that things have been so difficult recently. I wonder whether you've been able to establish with your rheumaotology team whether in your case your previous medication had in fact lowered your immune system excessively? The principle behind using things like the methotrexate (mtx) is not to leave you immuno-compromised, but to lower it just enough... They may be able to check your bloods and give you more information on this.

I can empathise with your frustration if this latest illness was one of several you may have had. You may be able to discuss with the rheumatology team getting your disease Activity Score (DAS) assessed - if it shows your arthritis is very active, given that you may have failed on mtx and sulphazelazine, you might be able to discuss the option of switching to anti-TNF treatments.

I realise that there is a kind of double-bind with RA in that because it's an immune system disease, all dmards have a tendency to be working with the immune system in some way. But if you are experiencing excessive problems it may make a strong case for reviewing your treaments carefully.

Even though we are not medically qualified, if you'd like a chance to talk over what you've been going through you'd be welcome to ring our freephone or private message us if you'd like.

all the best
    Guy
  • specialblue
    specialblue Bots Posts: 6
    hi thanks for the reply the rheumatology nurse went in to see my consultant while i was there to let him know how i had been and also to ask what other drug to give me he wants me to try leflunomide do you know if its a dmard or anti tnf i dont know i havent been told anything yet as i have got to make an appointment to go and see the nurse again and she will tell me what to do with it how to take it etc. what really frustrates me is when you are on mtx you can not take anything for a cold or flu but what have all the doctors been saying if you get flu treat your self !
    i have also been feeling very tearful recently and really fed up but i am wondering if its something to do with how i have been with this flu i know what else i wanted to ask the nurse said my consultant wanted a test done i had my bloods done while i was there and she said they can do this test with the blood they had taken not sure if she said att or add not sure at all i will ask when i go back
    thanks for reading this and thank you for your time julie
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,482
    Hi Julie

sorry to hear you are feeling really fed up. In answer to your question, Leflunomide is a DMARD. Here is a link to our booklets:- http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Booklets You can download the one on Drugs and complementary therapies if you would like a reference for all the drugs.

http://www.arc.org.uk/arthinfo/patpubs/6261/6261.asp - ARC drug leaflet on leflunomide.

I hope that helps and you know you can always call us for a chat if you are feeling really bad.

Best wishes

Simona