soon wont be able to afford my meds!

Options
kezzo1
kezzo1 Member Posts: 171
what can we do to push things forward with paying for our medical prescriptions?? seriously im going to struggle to afford my medication, i get mtx injections free but now im going on combi med i have to pay fro sulpha along with my folic acid- £14 a month!! to beat my disease im disgusted i didnt ask for this yet i have it for life.
and how come mtx injects are free but if u have mtx tablets u have to pay?! there the same thing.....right?!!

we all need to pull together on this one get a petition signed or something, any ideas what we can do?

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,497
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Kezzo

I don't know if you are aware but in case you are not you may benefit from a Pre payment certificate, here is a link to explain more about it: http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Medicinespharmacyandindustry/Prescriptions/NHSCosts/DH_4049383

You are also exempt if you are on income support or certain other benefits.

If you wish to discuss petitions it may be better to do so on one of the other forums with members.

Hope that helps

Simona
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Kezzo

If you google petitions and do a search for free prescriptions, the choice is yours as to how many or all of them, you wish to sign as there is quite a choice.

You can of course start one of your own too!

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    I would really recommend getting a pre-payment certificate.

both my hubby and I have a yearly one which we can pay for over 10 months. It really works out so much better financially.

You can get a 3 month one as well,but that has to be paid for in one go.

surprising how many people don't get told about them bytheir pharmacist. mine was really helpful.
  • kezzo1
    kezzo1 Member Posts: 171
    Options
    thanks for replys ill def have a look at the petitions not sure if pre payment cert will save me much money but ill look into that too!!
    but that doesnt answer my question to how come mtx injects are free but tablets are not?? i know u may not be able to answer this but it puzzles everyone i guess!!
    :lol:
  • helpline_team
    Options
    Hi Kezzo

Yes this is a real Poirot type mystery as to why you have to pay for MTX tablets. We've done some detective work this end but can't come up with an answer. Maybe your pharmacist would know?
    I'm wondering whether you might be eligible for a NHS Tax Credit Exemption Certificate - this would exempt you from having to pay prescription charges. If you get Working or Child Tax Credit you might be entitled to it so it's definitely worth checking it out. You can find out by searching the HM Revenue and Customs website:
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/index.htm

Best wishes
    Paul
  • isabelseymour
    isabelseymour Member Posts: 7
    Options
    I agree that at present the cheapest option is to apply for a prepayment certificate.

However, the Department of Health is undertaking a review into the possibility of giving exemption from prescription charges to all those with "long term conditions". The definition of a "long term condition" has not yet been agreed but the DoH is carrying out a survey on its website seeking the views of the public. The link to this is below and I would urge as many people as possible to take 5 minutes to complete the questionnaire:

http://www.info.doh.gov.uk/questionnaire/prescriprew.nsf

As well as this, a petition has recently been started on the Number10 website asking for consideration to be given to offering people with RA free prescriptions. I know there has not been much success with these petitions in the past but the link is below if anyone wants to put their name to it:

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Rheumatoid/

Isabel
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    what a good link to the questionnair - I have just filled it in - pity this thread isn't on the living with arthritis forum as I am sure that a lot of people would like to have an input to this consultation
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Hi
    I did the survey too and agree with Wonky - we should all do it and It should be on the LWA forum. If I has the skills I'd do it myself!
    Can anyone else?
    If not we could put a post telling people to have a look?
    Toni x
  • isabelseymour
    isabelseymour Member Posts: 7
    Options
    I have set this up as a new topic on the LWA forum and there have already been several people responded on there to say that they have completed the survey and/or the petition.

Many thanks for your support.

Isabel
  • helpline_team
    Options
    HELLO EVERYONE

Thank you for all your posts on this subject.

For all those interested in our Campaign work on this subject please see the new thread called - prescription charges - we need your help.

Have a good weekend
    Paul
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Kezzo, I lost so much of my income when I had to stop out work and found my self in the same possition through lack of money. It should be free eh? I have filled in the question thing and signed the pettition.
    Thankfully my dr's receptionist gave me a H1 form and I filled it in and now have a H2 form. They look at your income and if it's low enough (mine sadly was) they give you a certificate and you get either help or sometimes full exemption from charges. It is a means tested form but all by post! Take care