Update on rib pain

Options
sunshine14
sunshine14 Member Posts: 38
edited 22. Jan 2009, 06:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all, thanks for all your replies.

The pain got worse so they saw me straight away at my Drs. They sent me to the hospital, they said they thought it was inflammation but because breathing also made it worse along with the pain behind my left breast they were concerned about a blood clot.

Thankfully there is no blood clot, it is inflammtion of the chest walls. I've just got to carry on with Naproxen and Co-codamol until I see Rheumy on monday, and make sure I do deep breaths to stop the bottom of the left lung from collapsing.

I don't have a full diagnosis yet, although Rheumy sure RA, he is considering Lupus.

Chest pain/rib pain is always worth checking out, I never knew I had the symptoms of a blood clot.

Thanks everyone, Sunshine xxx

Comments

• magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sunshine,
    Sorry to hear about your recent visit to hospital. Thank God it wasn't a blood clot. If it's inflammation, I wonder if you have costochronditis? Take care and let me know how your rhuemy appt. goes.
    Magenta xx
  • sunshine14
    Options
    magenta wrote:
    Hi Sunshine,
    Sorry to hear about your recent visit to hospital. Thank God it wasn't a blood clot. If it's inflammation, I wonder if you have costochronditis? Take care and let me know how your rhuemy appt. goes.
    Magenta xx

Thanks Magenta, Hope you are okay. I was wondering that too. I googled it not long ago and it came up with that xx
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    Chest pain/rib pain is always worth checking out, I never knew I had the symptoms of a blood clot.

Thanks everyone, Sunshine xxx[/quote]

Glad to hear its nothing bad Take
    Colin
  • sunshine14
    Options
    Thanks Colinone, take care x
  • petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    Options
    As with the others I am so glad that you are recovering. You were so right to go to get it checked. Linda
  • ktl297
    ktl297 Member Posts: 50
    Options
    Hi All,
    Costochondritis is inflammation of the chest (the costal joints between your ribs and around your sternum). They have to rule out blood clots as lots of the meds can cause them (in rare cases) so I have been to A&E a few times when I had it to get checked out to make sure. I'm glad it's not anything sinister for you and I hope you're feeling better - you might benefit from some physio when you're feeling up to it as I had a problem with my breathing due to not inflating my lungs properly (it hurt too much with the costo and when it went my muscles had learned not to expand my chest fully). Physio helped me to get better chest expansion and helps to prevent lung problems.
    All the best! KT
  • sunshine14
    Options
    ktl297 wrote:
    Hi All,
    Costochondritis is inflammation of the chest (the costal joints between your ribs and around your sternum). They have to rule out blood clots as lots of the meds can cause them (in rare cases) so I have been to A&E a few times when I had it to get checked out to make sure. I'm glad it's not anything sinister for you and I hope you're feeling better - you might benefit from some physio when you're feeling up to it as I had a problem with my breathing due to not inflating my lungs properly (it hurt too much with the costo and when it went my muscles had learned not to expand my chest fully). Physio helped me to get better chest expansion and helps to prevent lung problems.
    All the best! KT

Hi KT, yeah they said about the breathing because of the lungs collapsing. Apparently the symptoms also sounded like a blood clot, but yeah thankfully it isn't. They say to try and do some deep breaths, but like you say it is extremely painful. Do you suffer with this alot? Rheumy is looking at RA & Lupus, but not had full diagnosis yet. Could this Costo be related to them do you think? x