UPDATE: I've been trying to get funding to go swimming

Options
luckybug
luckybug Member Posts: 205
edited 20. Jan 2009, 19:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
Last year I joined my local Bannatyne Gym, I loved it the lovely warm pool, jacuzzi steam room and sauna, fabulous. I used to spend 3 hours a day there, my sister and her two kids took it in turns and helped me to get undressed and dressed, so between me and my sister we were paying £72 a month. I priced our local council swimming facilities and there was not much difference in the cost, but there pool is freezing and cannot be used during the day as it is part of the school.
Anyway I'm on benefits and my sister is a one parent family and works 16 hours a week, fits in great with helping me and school for the kids.
Due to high bills and getting a new motability car we couldn't afford it anymore, so I contacted social services as I read I might be able to get Direct payments for care and help, cleaning and stuff. The social workers agreed I can have money fo a carer to go to Bannatynes with me but won't pay my membership, the ridiculousness of it is, they are willing to pay around £300 a week for me to get carers and help, and all I wanted was them to pay £72 a month less than £20 a week, so me and my sister and the kids could use Bannatynes, I wouldn't dream of having a carer or any stranger in my home, my brother was murdered and I have trust issues, and my family will always help me for FREE, The social services would provide me with going to a day centre, which is another thing I would not dream of doing, I just think the whole system stinks.
I am on Humira injections which cost £350 a shot every two weeks, I have had nothing but problems with it, they would be better giving me the gym fees and letting the water help me as the mobic and sulphasalazine worked better than this, I felt miles better last year and noticed my shoulders easing a bit, but now I'm sat in all day stiffening up, it's crazy.... Just thought I would have a moan, anyway I have also moaned to my MP. I will tell you if I get anywhere. EEE don't I live an exciting life...lol :oops:
By the way spoke to the manager at Bannatynes and he said my sister could go in for free if she is my carer, so it's getting cheaper.

UPDATE: Well my moaning paid of a bit, the social services have said they will pay my sisters fees through direct payments as they have a duty to care for carers, (Nice to know) they won't pay for mine as I need it as a medical therapy but told me to contact my local NHS, which I have done, just waiting for a reply, they won't help my sisters kids as they areunder 16 years of age, even though they do loads of personal things for me, helping me dress and undress, but at least the fees are now being reduced so finding £40 a month will be easier than £72. I'll let you all know what the NHS says, when I get a reply.