skills lost

Options
lindah
lindah Member Posts: 445
edited 24. Jan 2009, 12:42 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi.I am new on here so apologies in advance for any faux pas.
Trying to open a packet of crumpets and the air was blue I thought of how I took for granted being able to thread a needle,open pkts biscuits etc. Even my shoelaces aren't fastened properly.
I used to be able to quilt at least 6 stitches to the inch and now some days could not hold the quilt never mind the needle.
Moan over and I am still thankful for all I have got.(except the you know what)
Linda

Comments

• suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    i'm with you, i hate being in town and buying a bottle if water or similiar and finding i can't actually open the bottle, it's embarressing having to ask the nearest strong looking person!
    but apart from that sewing is just not possible, i can't thread a needle either, i can't knit anymore and like you said the packets i could open without thinking a few years ago are now the cause of most of my anger and upset.
    i have to ask my 9 year old to help me get packets open now, bless her though she always offers if she see's me struggling!!
  • petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    Options
    I know the feeling, I kept losing the needle, I loved X-stitch so gave it up 3-4 years ago.
    I have a row of bottles waiting the next visitor to open them. I have become the person who really annoyed me...no jar or bottle has the cap replaced properly.
    My cousins kids think I am posh as I open crisps with scissors. I was going to get elastic laces, however no I have to wear ankle supports I need all the space I can get to put my foot in. So don't worry about moaning lol we all do it. Linda
  • renard99
    renard99 Member Posts: 19
    Options
    The one thing that gets me every time is not being able to hold my girlfriend's hand. She really wants to comfort me when i'm in pain but she simply can't hold me some days. Mentally It's like a stab in the heart.
  • mandy_b1967
    mandy_b1967 Bots Posts: 115
    Options
    This really made my heart sink. :( My partner has to hold my hand with my support on, its not perfect but we manage.
    Mandy
    renard99 wrote:
    The one thing that gets me every time is not being able to hold my girlfriend's hand. She really wants to comfort me when i'm in pain but she simply can't hold me some days. Mentally It's like a stab in the heart.
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    I was really tired the other night and needed to go to bed. I can't remove clothes from my upper body my joint damage is too severe. Went to ask hubby if he'd give me a hand, he was very comfy reading his book and so I went to ask youngest son - he was asleep and had an early start in the morning. Found oldest son on his PC engrossed in his game, when I tentatively asked for help the irritable retort was 'Can't you ask someone else Mum I'm busy?!!!' :x :x

I know it's a nuisance to be disturbed but sometimes, just sometimes I just wish they'd put themselves in my shoes :roll:

ohhhh..............what I wouldn't give for my independence :wink:

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • averyniceman
    averyniceman Member Posts: 75
    Options
    renard99 wrote:

That's just horrible for you -- I'm sorry.

How did your Rheumatologist's appointment go?
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    oh yes i am resolved to not being the person i was or doing the things i did. But the little things drive you mad. opening packets, pulling the foil from top of milk, opening a carton, opening the inner pack on a box of serial, putting sox on and worse still getting them off. I have a pointy knife for most things now no not the socks but i have cut some of my socks down the sides to make it easy getting on and off. pulling up the blankets can be a major battle and oh boy getting dried on that big heavy bath towel. Take care you all
    Colin
  • mandy_b1967
    Options
    At the moment I can do most things but cant lift the washing backet anymore or run up and down stairs with the hoover. Washing up/drying up is sometimes painful and I have trouble getting out of the bath. However I have to have a scafoidectumy in March and I am really worried how I will manage simple things like putting on my bra not just while recovering but as I will have lost alot of flexibility how I will cope afterwards. My children are not babies (18 and 14) but that means they have their own lives and I dont want to put my stuff on them?? Any thoughts from anyone
    Mandy
  • lindah
    lindah Member Posts: 445
    Options
    A few years back I had a torn rotator cuff in my shoulder so found leaving my bra off altogether if I was not going to see "outsiders" was the best bet, I also bought a couple with front fastenings for when I needed to wear one. Its the little indignities that get you dont you think?
  • mandy_b1967
    Options
    lindah wrote:
    A few years back I had a torn rotator cuff in my shoulder so found leaving my bra off altogether if I was not going to see "outsiders" was the best bet, I also bought a couple with front fastenings for when I needed to wear one. Its the little indignities that get you dont you think?

yes I find I am worrying about the "little" things like getting dressed etc. I am not worried about cooking dinner because I know that the kids will do that because they will need to eat too. I guess I will find ways of getting things done and buy some tracksuit bottoms. :oops:
    Mandy
  • pluggathome
    pluggathome Member Posts: 171
    Options
    Hi all

I had my RA confirmed last June and I am still getting used to what my thumb used to do, my little finger used to to .........

The most annoying one for me is rolling over in bed. You don't realise just how much you use your elbows to do this! My dads had RA for 30 plus years and I remember diving out of bed when he's fell out as a kid all because he couldn't use the bits he wanted to when he needed them. Now I have an understanding of what was going on.

As for holding the hubbies hand, this has changed to me just holding one of his fingers. This is one thing I'm determined not to giveup!

I'm still in the too stubborn to ask for help stage most of the time but my friends are working on me! :lol:

pluggxx
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

I have problems fastening buttons and holding my
    brushes when water colouring. I put wadding on the
    brushes and rubber bands round my fingers but need
    Mrs McG to fasten the buttons. I have a contraption
    for pulling on socks (dont wear them when it's warm)
    and dont wear ties altho I sometimes tie one to my
    wrist throw the tie round my shoulders and use it pulley
    fashion to pull my pints to my lips. We have helpful
    gadgets in the kitchen and I wear slip on shoes.
    Doesnt seem much compared to your problems.
    My life got a lot better when Mrs McG put sleeve to
    arm rather than arm to sleeve.
    Dltbgyd.
  • lindalegs
    Options
    At the moment I can do most things but cant lift the washing backet anymore or run up and down stairs with the hoover. Washing up/drying up is sometimes painful and I have trouble getting out of the bath. However I have to have a scafoidectumy in March and I am really worried how I will manage simple things like putting on my bra not just while recovering but as I will have lost alot of flexibility how I will cope afterwards. My children are not babies (18 and 14) but that means they have their own lives and I dont want to put my stuff on them?? Any thoughts from anyone
    Mandy

Hi Mandy,

I put my washing in a bag with handles - similar to a carrier bag but more sturdy and just as light - then I carry it on my forearm with the handles. If I have wet washing I then carry it ouside and put it on a plastic chair whilst I hang it on the line to save bending. If I'm having a bad day I ask someone/anyone to carry it outside for me. When the washing is dry and ironed I put it in the same bag and am able to carry it upstairs on my forearm with both hands free. If I'm having a bad day I leave the bag at the bottom of the stairs for someone else to carry up.

My bra, I always fasten it at the front and then spin it round to the back and loop my arms in it, these days I have to use a dress stick to push my straps onto my shoulders - but you'll find there's often a way around these things :wink:

Washing up, I always feel, is good for our hands because of the movement in hot water and using your muscles as well as your joints - I always offer to wash-up when I go to friends - I tell them it's my therapy :roll: .....and why dry-up, can't you just leave things to drain - it's surprising how quick they dry and then you only have to polish your glasses.

Vacuuming the stairs could be done fairly safely with one of the little hand held cleaners.

Many people use bath seats but I find I have to shower nowadays otherwise either my sons or husband have to lift me in and out of the bath - I prefer to shower because I feel more independent.

I hope all goes well with your scafoidectumy but any problems you may have whilst you're adapting to your lack of flexibility ask on here because someone will probably have the answer.

Hope this helps.

Love, Legs x
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Hi all

I had my RA confirmed last June and I am still getting used to what my thumb used to do, my little finger used to to .............................As for holding the hubbies hand, this has changed to me just holding one of his fingers. This is one thing I'm determined not to giveup!

I'm still in the too stubborn to ask for help stage most of the time but my friends are working on me! :lol:

pluggxx

Hi Plugg,

I also was too stubborn to ask for help for many years but now I'm older and wiser I've realised that people genuinely like to help. I wasted alot of energy trying to do things that could have often been better spent by just swallowing my pride and asking. :wink:

My hubby and I link arms now - he's the best looking walking stick I have :shock: :lol:

Love, Legs x
  • greyheron
    greyheron Member Posts: 167
    Options
    petmad wrote:
    I know the feeling, I kept losing the needle, I loved X-stitch so gave it up 3-4 years ago.
    I have a row of bottles waiting the next visitor to open them. I have become the person who really annoyed me...no jar or bottle has the cap replaced properly.
    My cousins kids think I am posh as I open crisps with scissors. I was going to get elastic laces, however no I have to wear ankle supports I need all the space I can get to put my foot in. So don't worry about moaning lol we all do it. Linda

Re opening bottles - I got a 'thing' from the Lakeland catalogue / website - it's like a circle of ridged rubber and I find it helps a lot with opening jars and bottles. Can't remember how much it cost but it might be worth looking at. I think Lakeland have quite a good returns policy if you find it doesn't suit you.

(That's the second time I've recommended a Lakeland product on this forum - the moderators will start to think I'm a Lakeland 'plant'. I'm not - but they do sell some very useful products!)

Or an OT could advise / supply ???

All the best

Wendy
  • mandy_b1967
    Options
    I put my washing in a bag with handles - similar to a carrier bag but more sturdy and just as light - then I carry it on my forearm with the handles.

This is a great idea. I am going to get a bag to use for this.

My bra, I always fasten it at the front and then spin it round to the back
    I have tried this but I cant bend my wrist to put it through the arm hole but I am looking for some with front fastenings :wink:

Washing up, I always feel, is good for our hands because of the movement in hot water and using your muscles as well as your joints
    Washing up is good to help with movement when my wrists arent too bad but on bad days I find lifting even a plate difficult. Started training the the kids to dry.

I am waiting on an appointment with Occy Health (been waiting since Nov they are now doing referals from June!!) as I live in a housing association house. They wont put in a shower for me without a referal from occy health. :shock:

Thank you for all your help definalty going to do the washing bag idea. :D
  • maddyc
    maddyc Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi

Hubby helps me get dressed when I can't - somehow he always makes me laugh in the middle when I'm feeling most useless and vulnerable.

My eldest (6) can now practically look after the two year old (well, peel oranges and decant yoghurt into a bowl, but it all helps!).

The blister packs the anti inflammatories and pain killers come in are the worst designed ever, I often end up just sitting staring at them :roll: but I have to agree bras are a disaster.

Maddy
  • lindalegs
    Options
    maddyc wrote:
    Hi

Hubby helps me get dressed ........................The blister packs the anti inflammatories and pain killers come in are the worst designed ever, I often end up just sitting staring at them :roll: but I have to agree bras are a disaster.

Maddy

Hi Maddy,

On bad days I use my nail to slit the back of the blister packs then it's easier to push the tablets out at the front and on really bad days I use a pair of scissors.

You could always plan in advance and on good days take some tablets out of the blister packs and put them in another container (and of course keep them out of the reach of your little ones) or even get someone else to do that for you if you're not able to - I don't think sitting looking at them will help to ease your pain :wink::lol:

Love, Legs x