walking sticks hahaha

Options
plmb48
plmb48 Member Posts: 125
edited 21. Jan 2009, 18:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
i maybe wrong but it really anoys me when people jump out of their cars in disabled bays and rush to the shops with their walking sticks under their arm leave the shop then have to go back because they have forgot the walking stick I WONDER WHY.pauline :? :? :? :?

Comments

• renard99
    renard99 Member Posts: 19
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I agree, it's laughable and annoying but from my experience I can see why some would want to carry one for effect. I use one legitimately and it's amazing what happens. Chairs appear from nowhere, people get out of your way, people open doors for you, ticket inspectors often don't check you if it means having to fiddle with the walking stick in order to stand, etc.

I have to be careful what I say though as I can come under fire sometimes. I don't always need a stick (only on really bad days) so can often come under criticism when people see me with it one day and then not the next. As mine's a foldable carry one, if i'm out and it all gets too much I sometimes open it up and use it and people sometimes say "how come you walk all the way here and then suddenly need it now"
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    I know what you mean! I have been using mine for a few months now and still struggle juggling with my bag, purse etc in shops. I wish I could jump out of my car and rush into a shop but... The best thing was yesterday I was walking with my pink patterned stick , when 2 women started talking about me and my stick within my earshot! I have mobility problems! I`m not deaf! How rude! :x
  • michelle22
    michelle22 Member Posts: 93
    Options
    I use my stick all the time but I go between one stick to two and sometimes crutches all depends on how I am at the time lol. But I do see people like you said with the stick under the arm just for show I wish I ave even watched them in the shop rushing around the shop and jumping in there car and driving away and all the time in a disabled bay and with the stick I would love to just pop into a shop but it is a major thing for me to go and get the shopping would love to be like them

Michelle
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    i occassionally use one when needed which is a trekking pole, only problem was son wanted one and i let him. Then he acccidently was poking people behind when he lifted it up so after me apologising i took it off him.
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    I think it people who are new to them that forget they have them most people who have been on them for some time are ok.
    I have 2 most of the time my hands and writs are to sore to use them and i just cant seem to ajust myself to them. I'm the same good days and bad i offten think what others may think one day with them another without. I think it all comes down to they way we look if you look healthy enough people wonder why lol. My wife is always going on me to use them so i thjink ill give it a go.
    Take care you all
    Colin