Hello, I'm new here

Options
gennyf47
gennyf47 Member Posts: 30
Can I get some advice please?
Brief history - had achey inflamed shoulder since about 2004, then had lower back x-ray 2008, said it was arthritic disc degeneration, had sore creaky neck for some time, since last Christmas my fingers, wrists, elbows have joined in and since New Year my left foot hurts to walk on for long. Also been so, so, so tired I can barely drag myself out of bed for work.
Doctor said today it is rheumatic arthritis, does that sound about right to you?
She advised weight loss and to keep supple by moving around more ( aarrgh! ) and to take anti-inflammatories or pain killers if I get a bad flare-up.
I know your very helpful website says similar things.
What worries me is this, although these aches annoy/upset me to a certain extent, if I pace myself I can get on with most things ( ie full time job in the NHS, part time university course, running my house, doing the garden, shopping etc ) - I notice that many other people have far, far worse symptoms and troubles.
Is it still ok for me to participate, get advice, chat to others? Nobody I know or any family members have this and I need reassurance and support from people who understand.
Also will this get worse as I get older, I am 47 and didn't expect to be dealing with this for another 20 years!

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,497
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Genny
    Welcome to the Forum and anyone affected by arthritis in any way can chat and participate. Getting support from each other is what it's all about and your contributions will be valued.
    First of all can I query what type of arthritis you have as 'rheumatic' arthritis is not a diagnosis. Your symptoms were diagnosed by xray which showed 'degeneration' which is osteoarthritis. If your GP thought you had rheumatoid arthritis she would have carried out blood tests to confirm, and referred you to a rheumatologist. Maybe check this out with her.
    It's difficult to predict the course of arthritis but there are things you can do to help yourself. Take some gentle exercise daily, keep your weight down and eat a good balanced diet with plenty of fruit and vegetables. When you are living with a long term condition it's important to be as fit and healthy as you can.
    I'm glad you find our website helpful. All our booklets can be downloaded from our website or I can post them to you if you send us a private message with your address.
    Best wishes
    Val
  • gennyf47
    gennyf47 Member Posts: 30
    Options
    Hi Genny
    Welcome to the Forum and anyone affected by arthritis in any way can chat and participate. Getting support from each other is what it's all about and your contributions will be valued.
    First of all can I query what type of arthritis you have as 'rheumatic' arthritis is not a diagnosis. Your symptoms were diagnosed by xray which showed 'degeneration' which is osteoarthritis. If your GP thought you had rheumatoid arthritis she would have carried out blood tests to confirm, and referred you to a rheumatologist. Maybe check this out with her.
    It's difficult to predict the course of arthritis but there are things you can do to help yourself. Take some gentle exercise daily, keep your weight down and eat a good balanced diet with plenty of fruit and vegetables. When you are living with a long term condition it's important to be as fit and healthy as you can.
    I'm glad you find our website helpful. All our booklets can be downloaded from our website or I can post them to you if you send us a private message with your address.
    Best wishes
    Val

Thanks for replying, Val.
    My GP said it was rheumatic arthritis because it was several joints affected not just one, she said osteoarthritis involved one joint. She hasn't mentioned a blood test, just to lose weight and exercise regularly.
    It was never mentioned to me either that the disc degeneration was osteoarthritis either, which is quite worrying!
    Think I will digest the information I have, adjust my lifestyle, and then make another appointment to try and clarify things.
    I don't want to get on her nerves too much as she is kindly referring me to the Homeopathic Hospital for a relaxation course that I could not otherwise attend due to the cost.

Kindest regards
    Genny
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,497
    Options
    Dear Jenny,

If you'd like an information pack (which would explain the common ways to get a diagnosis) just e-mail.
    helplines@arthritiscare.org.uk with your name adn postal address.

all the best
    Guy