What happens next?

Options
sharonjax
sharonjax Member Posts: 19
edited 22. Jan 2009, 11:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,
went to see the Rheumy in December and was put on plaquenil which unfortunately didn't agree with me as two weeks later (Boxing day) I was covered in the mother of all horrible red itchy rashes and i ve still got some spots. I phoned the out of hours doc who told me stop taking the tablets.

after speaking to the hospital, I was sent another appointment for next month. Does anyone know what will happen next?

Sharon

Comments

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sharon,

I would think your Rheumy will want to review your medication and prescribe something different for you to try. What is plaquenil for? Is it a Dmard, Anti iinflammatory or Pain Killer :? - sorry I'm not very up on what each medication is for? If you've stopped the Plaquenil does this mean you're medicationless - if so I would think you'd need something for the pain as next month is a long time to wait.

Luv Legs :)
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • sharonjax
    sharonjax Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Plaquenil are DMARDS, slow acting apparently as any benefits would not be seen for up to 4 months. I had to take these in addition to diclofenic (anti-inflams) and tramadol at night so back to square one really. I was really quite pleased to start on the DMARDS as felt I was starting to get somewhere. Only had this arthritis for a year so I'm one of the lucky ones but after the allergic reaction I'm a bit scared to try anything else.
    I know I will tho as my knees are starting to wreck and have new pains in my feet.

Sharon
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    sharonjax wrote:
    Plaquenil are DMARDS, slow acting apparently as any benefits would not be seen for up to 4 months. I had to take these in addition to diclofenic (anti-inflams) and tramadol at night so back to square one really. I was really quite pleased to start on the DMARDS as felt I was starting to get somewhere. Only had this arthritis for a year so I'm one of the lucky ones but after the allergic reaction I'm a bit scared to try anything else.
    I know I will tho as my knees are starting to wreck and have new pains in my feet.

Sharon

Hi Sharon i'm affraid its a bit of a long road for some with trial and error drugs , sadly what works for one may not work for another. I had simula problems to you and tried many drugs prior to finding one that suited me and worked. The problem is you need to try a new drug for 12 to 14 weeks not just for side effects but to to see if its working for you, so it can seem like a long proccess. You will get sorted it just takes time. If your Rheumy put you in for a 14 or 16 week appointment you can ask her to make it sooner. in my early stages my rheumy was seeing me every six weeks now its gone to every 12 weeks. I hope your feeling better soon and try not to worry to much as stress does not help, take care
    Colin
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    sharonjax wrote:

Sharon

Thanks for that. :D

At least you still have your other drugs. All Dmards are slow-acting, well, that is to say I've never found one that's really fast!

Try not to be scared there's noting to say you're going to have an allergic reaction to any of the others and you will be monitored closely no matter which Dmard you're prescribed. You also have to think of your future as the Dmards prevent the progression of the disease and will hopefully put a stop to the awful deformities that are the badge of an arthritic :shock:

Let us know how you go on :)

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'