Going to the gym

Options
averyniceman
averyniceman Member Posts: 75
Before arthritis I used to go to the gym regularly -- but I've just learned the hard way that I can't lift wights like I used to without horrible consequences!

I'd like to get a trainer who can help me set up a suitable exercise regime. My gym is full of well meaning young guys who call themselves personal trainers. But I don't know whether to trust them in my case -- do they really know about arthritis? Have they studied it?

Is there some advice you can give me about how to chose someone to act as my trainer? Is there some qualification they should have?

Comments

• oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    sorry for interruppting here but i have just started with a personal trainer. Instead of the young male trainers, who i get on fine with by the way, who put members through their paces and i look on with horror whilst i am there...i have a lady trainer who is just showing me things to do with a pilates ball, hand weights etc..suppose you need to see what different gyms offer in way of trainers.
    good luck
    p.s. havent been this week though!!!
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,488
    Options
    Hello veryniceman,

I think you're right to be a little cautious when it comes to personal trainers. I don't think they would necessarily have an understanding of arthritis. I would suggest you'd be far better off asking your GP for a referral to a physiotherapist as they will have studied arthritis as part of their training and can work out the best exercises for you.

Best wishes
    Paul
  • averyniceman
    averyniceman Member Posts: 75
    Options
    Hello veryniceman,

I think you're right to be a little cautious when it comes to personal trainers. I don't think they would necessarily have an understanding of arthritis. I would suggest you'd be far better off asking your GP for a referral to a physiotherapist as they will have studied arthritis as part of their training and can work out the best exercises for you.

Best wishes
    Paul

Hey Paul

Thanks for excellent advice -- I'm sure it's best to be cautious.

I would never have thought of your suggestion myself.

I will contact my doctor and let you know how things go.
  • jeanniep
    jeanniep Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Before arthritis I used to go to the gym regularly -- but I've just learned the hard way that I can't lift wights like I used to without horrible consequences!

I'd like to get a trainer who can help me set up a suitable exercise regime. My gym is full of well meaning young guys who call themselves personal trainers. But I don't know whether to trust them in my case -- do they really know about arthritis? Have they studied it?

Is there some advice you can give me about how to chose someone to act as my trainer? Is there some qualification they should have?

Hi veryniceman,
    I was referred to my local gym by my GP in November. (This is in Cornwall, by the way). There are trainers there who are qualified in what they call GP referrals - referrals can also come from physios and other health professionals -and they also have a cardiac class once a week, so know how to start people gently and monitor just what they can do. My trainer Rachel is brilliant, so nice and understands completely what I and the others in the group (mostly with arthur) are going through as she has also had health problems.
    Are there any other gyms near you who might have someone who has the GP referral qualifications? It is worth asking as these schemes don't seem to be well advertised - I had to go and ask my GP to refer me. The cost was low, for a 12 week course, as the trainer is just starting as self-employed.
    Hope this helps. I think it is definitely worth keeping it up if you can.
    Cheers
    JeanP