I'm new

Options
scottie
scottie Member Posts: 16
edited 23. Jan 2009, 10:07 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi folks,
So glad I have found this site... just been to my rheumy again. The last twice my blood tests have been normal but still swollen knees and elbows. Also and x ray showed degeneration on my left elbow which my GP says is very unusual... hence referral to rheumy.
Now my 3rd blood isnt TOO terrible according to my rheumy but he doesn't want to label me with rheumatoid athritis or put me on "posioned medication" (his words) so he continues to inject my joints with steroids.
Please can someone interpret this for me because I am very confused !!!!

Thanks

Comments

• mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi,welcome to this site.it sounds like the degeneration maybe osteoarthitis.did he say wear & tear or just degeneration?
    wear & tear is what they call o/a.
    what medication did they give u?
    loads of people can help,give u advise from here its such a great site.
    hope we can help. debsx
  • scottie
    Options
    mash65 wrote:
    hi,welcome to this site.it sounds like the degeneration maybe osteoarthitis.did he say wear & tear or just degeneration?
    wear & tear is what they call o/a.
    what medication did they give u?
    loads of people can help,give u advise from here its such a great site.
    hope we can help. debsx

Hi debs, thanks for that. yes wear and tear but my GP says that this shouldnt happen to an elbow joint unless a previous injury or trauma. She thinks RA may have caused this. My dad had it! Also very swollen joints o both sides. All very confusing.
    Lx
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    Hi Scottie and welcome to the site you found a good place to come.
    Im still confused after having RA and PA since 1980. In the begining i was told i had a form of arthrits and it wasent untill about 4 years ago that i got told RA and PA.
    I'm not quite sure why they do this i think they need cosecutive blood results over a period of time or perhaps the Rheumy doesent want to commit to soon just dont really know. The Rheumy i have now is great and over the past 2 years i have had more care understanding and explinations than i have had over the other 24 years. Anyway Scottie nice to talk to you you will meet some really nice helpful people on the site. its great to have a moan or just chat
    Take care
    Colin
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,482
    Options
    Hi Scottie
    Welcome to this lovely forum!
    Everyone here is so lovely and supportive and a hive of information
    Diagnosis can take ages so don't worry too much - just keep a note of your sumptoms.
    It is quite possible to have both OA and RA so you may need to wait and see
    In the meantime take care
    Toni x
  • sunshine14
    sunshine14 Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Hi Scottie,
    I can't help, but thought I'd say 'Hi'. This board is great. I haven't got a full diagnosis yet, but Rhuemy is sure RA, but looking at Lupus also.

Take Care, Sunshine x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    hi,
    I've got carpel tunnel and as well as oa and when they did the nerve test, it showed my left elbow has a problems with the ulner nerve. I think that its from years ago, when I fell over in ice : :? and I've had a sensitive pain when I just touch it gently ever since. At the time, my gp offered me steriod injections, but being a coward I said it had got better :oops: . Over the years its developed a sort of lump. I hav'nt told the docs this, as I feel a bit guilty :oops: Anyway, maybe you've hurt yours at some time in the past and its caused problems now? Just a thought. Sue xxx
  • berkshiregirl
    berkshiregirl Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi, I'm new as well. I had my diagnosis just before christmas (RA) although the jury is still out and although the first drug caused a liver problem, I am now on methotrexate. Only been on it for two weeks so early days yet.
    My problem is that once I've taken it with food in the evening, I then feel rotten the folowing day with a headache and slight nausea. Any suggestions that anyone can come up with on how to avoid this would be great.
  • mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    Options
    hi scottie,my pain in elbows is caused by o/a (according to physio) she says i have joint hypermobility,which is causing more pain.also have it in shoulders. just a thought.o/a can effect all joints.its just settling into my left hip.i think its finding a new home each month with me.debsx
  • rubyrude
    rubyrude Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Hiya
    If your test results are negative but you are showing the symptoms of arthritis this could well be PA. It took years for them to pick up mine. Hopefully when you see the hospital they can give you a diagnosis, welcome and good luck!
  • scottie
    Options
    colinone wrote:
    Hi Scottie and welcome to the site you found a good place to come.
    Im still confused after having RA and PA since 1980. In the begining i was told i had a form of arthrits and it wasent untill about 4 years ago that i got told RA and PA.
    I'm not quite sure why they do this i think they need cosecutive blood results over a period of time or perhaps the Rheumy doesent want to commit to soon just dont really know. The Rheumy i have now is great and over the past 2 years i have had more care understanding and explinations than i have had over the other 24 years. Anyway Scottie nice to talk to you you will meet some really nice helpful people on the site. its great to have a moan or just chat
    Take care
    Colin
    Hi colin, thanks for that. everything you have said makes total sense. really glad that you have finally got a rheumy that you can relate to. Its fab to talk to folks. Liz x
  • scottie
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hi Scottie
    Welcome to this lovely forum!
    Everyone here is so lovely and supportive and a hive of information
    Diagnosis can take ages so don't worry too much - just keep a note of your sumptoms.
    It is quite possible to have both OA and RA so you may need to wait and see
    In the meantime take care
    Toni x
    Hi Toni,

thanks for that. It could well be both but hey life goes on !!! Liz x
  • scottie
    Options
    woodbon wrote:
    hi,
    I've got carpel tunnel and as well as oa and when they did the nerve test, it showed my left elbow has a problems with the ulner nerve. I think that its from years ago, when I fell over in ice : :? and I've had a sensitive pain when I just touch it gently ever since. At the time, my gp offered me steriod injections, but being a coward I said it had got better :oops: . Over the years its developed a sort of lump. I hav'nt told the docs this, as I feel a bit guilty :oops: Anyway, maybe you've hurt yours at some time in the past and its caused problems now? Just a thought. Sue xxx

Hi Sue, Can't remember any injuries...but maybe. Just had steroid shots in my knees and elbows and the pain was def worth it as I feel like a new woman. Give it a try if you dare!! Liz x
  • scottie
    Options
    Hi, I'm new as well. I had my diagnosis just before christmas (RA) although the jury is still out and although the first drug caused a liver problem, I am now on methotrexate. Only been on it for two weeks so early days yet.
    My problem is that once I've taken it with food in the evening, I then feel rotten the folowing day with a headache and slight nausea. Any suggestions that anyone can come up with on how to avoid this would be great.
    Hi berkshiregirl, My rheumy is reluctant to label me and give me horrible medication so he gave me steroid injections in my knees and elbows and after a few days pain Im now pain free with little or no side effects. If things get worse for me I might have to resort to drugs but I'm in no hurry. Good luck X
  • scottie
    Options
    sunshine14 wrote:
    Hi Scottie,
    I can't help, but thought I'd say 'Hi'. This board is great. I haven't got a full diagnosis yet, but Rhuemy is sure RA, but looking at Lupus also.

Take Care, Sunshine x

Hi Sunshine, so many of us in the same boat but its a real comfort to know that you are not alone. Liz x
  • scottie
    Options
    mash65 wrote:
    hi scottie,my pain in elbows is caused by o/a (according to physio) she says i have joint hypermobility,which is causing more pain.also have it in shoulders. just a thought.o/a can effect all joints.its just settling into my left hip.i think its finding a new home each month with me.debsx

Sorry to hear that debs. Keep smiling. yes it could well be. Time will tell. Liz x
  • scottie
    Options
    rubyrude wrote:
    Hiya
    If your test results are negative but you are showing the symptoms of arthritis this could well be PA. It took years for them to pick up mine. Hopefully when you see the hospital they can give you a diagnosis, welcome and good luck!

thanks rubyrude. (great name) Diagnosis seems to be very ellusive to us all. Liz x
  • milmandy
    milmandy Member Posts: 20
    Options
    scottie wrote:
    Hi berkshiregirl, My rheumy is reluctant to label me and give me horrible medication so he gave me steroid injections in my knees and elbows and after a few days pain Im now pain free with little or no side effects. If things get worse for me I might have to resort to drugs but I'm in no hurry. Good luck X
    I'm in same situation..most like Psoriatic A but blood results confusing. I agree with keep a diary of symptoms etc. Glad the steroids have given relief..well done you. Stick with it firm diagnosis can take years even though you know it IS something only too definable!