RA And manual work/builders.

turney
turney Member Posts: 8
Hi everyone I'm new to the forum having recently being diagnosed with ra in both of my ankles. One thing i have noticed is there is lots of information for people who work in more office/retail side of employment. But im having trouble finding information for people like my self who work in the building industry. I'm at the very beginning stage of not being able to work as in my work i am more ground work and labour which involves a great deal of heavy lifting and pushing and all day on my feet which i am now having a great deal of trouble in doing as walking is now becoming difficult for me. I have been signed off work and im preparing myself for a long road of trouble ahead for me so im starting the proceedings of claiming some kind of benefit so i can get help with rent and living as im only 33. But I'm really unsure of what im doing and what help there is out there for me and my family as i have 4 young children. My family are ll shocked that im so young and have this. Just looking for anyone who has any advice or info in what i should be expecting.

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi turney

Sorry I cannot really help you but your posting spoke reams to me. I have had both office and manual jobs, and it is tough some days as you are finding out. When we start out on the work front, we never think that our body will begin to pack up so early, do we?

The only suggestion I have is to perhaps place your posting on the helpline zone and/or give them a call. Telephone number is at the top of the page. I have not personally done this but the feedback from peeps who have, is excellent. They really are a great, very attentive, sensitive, caring bunch of individuals, there to help us.

I wish you and your family well,

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • turney
    :D Hi elna, Thankyou for your kind words and your advice i am going to call the helpline number today and see what advice i can get.

Once again thankyou
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Hi turney
    all my experience/info is about offices but how about having a look at two sites, the HSE and disability rights commission for starters.good luck
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Hi

I can't really help as I work within an office enviroment but being 33 also with two young children, I know how hard this is for you and your family. This is a good site, I only found it a couple of weeks ago and feel better already. Even just talking to someone who understands your feelings really helps. As someone else mentioned the DDA covers all workplaces. Does your employer have a Dr they would send you to? Usually they will assess you and make reasonable adjustments where possible, like changing the type of work that you do. They certainly can't pay you off unless there is absolutely no work available for someone with your condition. Do you work for a large company? They may have jobs you are more capable of doing. My hubby works for a large building company, he was accidentally run over by a forklift a few years ago, they put him on the plant hire side of things on his return until he was better. No lifting etc. I think you definitely need to speak to someone at CAB or likewise to discuss claiming for DLA etc. I know this is a very hard thing to do, especially for people who have always been so independent but should you ever need to take time off or give up work this would help you greatly. If you are disabled & work over 16 hours you could be entitled to the disability element of tax credits also if you were awarded DLA and that's a good amount of money.
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Hi

I can't really help as I work within an office enviroment but being 33 also with two young children, I know how hard this is for you and your family. This is a good site, I only found it a couple of weeks ago and feel better already. Even just talking to someone who understands your feelings really helps. As someone else mentioned the DDA covers all workplaces. Does your employer have a Dr they would send you to? Usually they will assess you and make reasonable adjustments where possible, like changing the type of work that you do. They certainly can't pay you off unless there is absolutely no work available for someone with your condition. Do you work for a large company? They may have jobs you are more capable of doing. My hubby works for a large building company, he was accidentally run over by a forklift a few years ago, they put him on the plant hire side of things on his return until he was better. No lifting etc. I think you definitely need to speak to someone at CAB or likewise to discuss claiming for DLA etc. I know this is a very hard thing to do, especially for people who have always been so independent but should you ever need to take time off or give up work this would help you greatly. If you are disabled & work over 16 hours you could be entitled to the disability element of tax credits also if you were awarded DLA and that's a good amount of money.

what do they class as disabled for tax credits? do you have to be in receipt of something like dla to get more tax credits, surely you dont self certify yourself??
  • eckstardeluxe
    Hi oneday

If you are in receipt of any care component of DLA then you qualify for the disability element of WTC. You must be working over 16 hours a week and the amount you get depends on your total HH income. For example a couple on 40k a year would see no benefit unless they had like 7 kids, but say a couple on 22k with 2 or 3 might see an extra £50 a week. Lower income than that would mean higher, sure the maximum is £70 ish. Additionally, say you are registered disabled and can't work but your partner does. If you pay childcare then you are regarded as incapacitated for work and classed as if you were working over 16 hours a week. So even if you are not working you can get up to 80% towards childcare costs. Again this depends on your income and how many kids you have. If you are over 50 and returning to work over 16 hours a week and reg'd disabled you would qualify for both disability element & 50+ element of WTC. Hope that helps. x
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Hi turney
    If i where you i would go to the CAB or the unemployment centre ( Note The Dole ) They give out great advice Also if you are applying for any benifits or mobility or DLA they will help you with the forms and perhaps tell you the best things to write. It really is worth a visit rather than ask the dole or the social. They are there to help and advise you.
    Take care mate so sorry you have been struck by the RA it must be so hard working in the building game with that sort of pain. I hope you get some good advice.
    Colin
  • turney
    Hi thanks everybody for your info. I have now had to give up work as i find walking quite difficult, I'm now trying to claim for ESA but its taking a very long time.

And had strange news from the doctor as there unable to find anything on the xrays ive had done and are now looking at blood tests. but im only getting signed of two weeks at a time and am feeling that im being disbelieved that i have a problem finding it all very hard. :cry:
  • eckstardeluxe
    Hi Turney

Push for an MRI scan. Xrays don't always show damage. My xray did as my OA started after my illness at age 12, I just didn't know about it until the pain got severe after having my son in April. The damage was significant enough to show up. An MRI will show up all the surrounding tissue areas and nerves. My MRI confirmed advanced stage OA plus 3 bulging discs and spinal stenosis. I'd definitely ask your Dr if that's an option. Sorry you've had to give up work but given the job you were doing, I'm not surprised. Hopefully once they are clear about everything and get you properly medicated you may be able to do a different job in the future. Let us know how everything is going, take care, Alex
  • turney
    Hi all the saga continues.

I have now been told i dont have RA or OA. But I do have some form of Arthritis just the doctor seems completly baffled.

I have had blood tests and that showed no signs of RA but high levels of inflammation. And i now have an appointment for Rheumatology on the 20th of march.

Still in the dark of what is wrong with me the pain is that severe in my ankles now that walking is really difficult and almost makes me vommit its that painful and now its in my right knee too so im on panic stations at the moment :(
  • magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    turney wrote:
    Hi all the saga continues.

I have now been told i dont have RA or OA. But I do have some form of Arthritis just the doctor seems completly baffled.

I have had blood tests and that showed no signs of RA but high levels of inflammation. And i now have an appointment for Rheumatology on the 20th of march.

Still in the dark of what is wrong with me the pain is that severe in my ankles now that walking is really difficult and almost makes me vommit its that painful and now its in my right knee too so im on panic stations at the moment :(

Hi Turney,
    I've only just read your posts. You sound a bit like me. I have terrible pain near enough everywhere but xrays show nothing. I also don't have RF in blood or any signs of inflammation-even though my hands/fingers are twice the size!!! I've been told I have seronegative arthritis. I find all my appointments frustrating and confusing. I'm now also going to have to look at what benefits etc I can maybe claim for. I'm off my work and due to go back to drs tomorrow to see about being signed fit for work but I don't know if I'm ready :? I sincerely hope you get to the bottom of things and I'd be interested to hear what your rhuemy says.
    Take care,
    Magenta x
  • magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    Hi Turney,
    Being nosey here. How are you? Hope you're not in too much pain and best of luck for your appointment.
    Magenta