just diagnosed "omg"

Options
denpen
denpen Member Posts: 389
edited 22. Jan 2009, 15:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I have just been diagnosed with osteoarthritis and I will need a hip replacement but 1st they will try cortisone!!
I think that I have arthritis in my shoulders also because the pain there is quite intense as well.
At the moment I dont know what to do next, will my GP just presume that every ache and pain is arthritis or will I get x rays to confirm, what about medication I am not a great believer that pain relief medication works :?: Help confused and anxious!!

Comments

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi, So sorry you've had such a shock and thats what it is when your told this its SHOCK, so expect to feel down for a while!
    I have oa in my spine, neck, hands etc :oops: I can understand your feelings, I felt very worried and upset when all this started over a year ago now. I have carpel tunnel syndrome, which is related to the oa, and I've had 2 steriod injections in my wrists for that. They sprayed it with some local anesthetic before doing it, and it was'nt very painful; I'd been told all sorts of stories, but personally I was Ok, I've had worse dental injections :) The steriod should helprelieve the inflamaion and pain, but its effect is often only for a limmited time, although some people are lucky and find that the joint is OK after the injection. oa dosn't necesseraly get worse. Sometimes it just stops and settles down. Knowone can tell, and we are all different :!: I expect you will be offered physio, for exercises to help strenthen the muscles that support the joints. This does help a lot with pain control and they are worked out to suit you. Sorry to go on. I'm sure once over the shock of the diagnosis you'll be fine. Send me a P. message if you have any questions. Love Sue
  • denpen
    denpen Member Posts: 389
    Options
    Thanks for the reply and your advice, every day is up or down I dont know if I am coming or going. years ago I had a "BAD BACK" worn discs so I now presume this was the start of the OA although no one said at the time. but now it seems that its in every joint, All those years ago I had a steroid injection in my spine, which did absolutely nothing for me, but we shall live in hope this time. I do know that I need to build my muscles up because they are not being used the same because I am walking differently now. Once again thanks for your support. Denise.x quote="woodbon"]Hi, So sorry you've had such a shock and thats what it is when your told this its SHOCK, so expect to feel down for a while!
    I have oa in my spine, neck, hands etc :oops: I can understand your feelings, I felt very worried and upset when all this started over a year ago now. I have carpel tunnel syndrome, which is related to the oa, and I've had 2 steriod injections in my wrists for that. They sprayed it with some local anesthetic before doing it, and it was'nt very painful; I'd been told all sorts of stories, but personally I was Ok, I've had worse dental injections :) The steriod should helprelieve the inflamaion and pain, but its effect is often only for a limmited time, although some people are lucky and find that the joint is OK after the injection. oa dosn't necesseraly get worse. Sometimes it just stops and settles down. Knowone can tell, and we are all different :!: I expect you will be offered physio, for exercises to help strenthen the muscles that support the joints. This does help a lot with pain control and they are worked out to suit you. Sorry to go on. I'm sure once over the shock of the diagnosis you'll be fine. Send me a P. message if you have any questions. Love Sue[/quote]
  • mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    Options
    denpen wrote:
    Hi
    I have just been diagnosed with osteoarthritis and I will need a hip replacement but 1st they will try cortisone!!
    I think that I have arthritis in my shoulders also because the pain there is quite intense as well.
    At the moment I dont know what to do next, will my GP just presume that every ache and pain is arthritis or will I get x rays to confirm, what about medication I am not a great believer that pain relief medication works :?: Help confused and anxious!!
    hi,i too have o/a,this especially affects my knees,neck & shoulders.the pain in my shoulders is so painful that even taking sleeping tablets doesnt help with my sleep.i turn over & the pain wakes me up.i had an xray for sponylosis(dx with this now)but the xray showed nothing.have to wait til iv seen rhymy in april then he's refering me for cat scan to see how much damage o/a has caused.if u dont want oral meds u can ask dr for pain releiving cream,im on trail with capsaicin cream rub into joints 4x a day,no relief so far.im on loads of meds but still in loads of pain,talk to ur gp about what u want,& what to expect i.e treatment.talk to people on here,u'll get loads of support,post anything u want,theres always some1 here to help.dont worry,stress makes things more painful.good luck,keep posting.debsx