Facet Joint Injections in neck

Options
melanieb
melanieb Member Posts: 4
Hi there,
After suffering pain in my neck, shoulders, arms and hands for over two years I have finally been diagnosed with osteoarthritis. The main problems are caused by my neck area and the pain management clinic have suggested steroid injections under x-ray conditions. I must admit I am very wary and wondered if anyone had any advice for me? I am on the waiting list but still don't know if I am going to go for it. I have only been back at work a month after being on sick for 10 months - the symtoms are already worse.

I would really appreciate any advice. :)

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I have had a Cervical Radiofrequency Ablation (RFA) in May last year if that is what you mean. In November 2007 I had a similar thing done in my neck but it was not "permanent" so that the doctor could see if it helped me. I was painfree for about 5 months and he was pleased as he said it usually lasts around 3 months.

Personally I had this done to stop pain I get in my shoulder.

The nerves do regenerate after an RFA (about 18 months later but this can vary) and the pain may or may not return. If it does another RFA can be done.

I felt nothing as it was done under anaesthetic and does not take long.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    I am mainly treated for RA but I have OA in the facet joints of C6/C7 apparently - they found this out when they did a neck x-ray when I was having lots of problems with my arm due to a trapped nerve.

I had a lot of help from the physiotherapist - I do exercises that work to keep my neck moving, but they didn't need to go any further than giving me these and some help with massaging my shoulder & neck muscles back into the work mode!

Hope your symptoms soon improve.
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,488
    Options
    melanieb wrote:
    Hi there,
    After suffering pain in my neck, shoulders, arms and hands for over two years I have finally been diagnosed with osteoarthritis. The main problems are caused by my neck area and the pain management clinic have suggested steroid injections under x-ray conditions. I must admit I am very wary and wondered if anyone had any advice for me? I am on the waiting list but still don't know if I am going to go for it. I have only been back at work a month after being on sick for 10 months - the symtoms are already worse.

I would really appreciate any advice. :)

Hi Melanieb

It sounds as though you are worried about the injections, which is quite understandable if you've never expeirenced it before. I wonder if reading about this steroid injection would help? If so here is a link to ARC factsheet on steroid injections : http://www.arc.org.uk/arthinfo/patpubs/6250/6250.asp

If it would help to talk this through further to help you make a decision then please feel free to give us a call.

You said that your symptoms are worse since being back at work. Is it because of the type of work you do or the stress or simply working? As I'm not aware of what you do I can't make specific suggestions however we do produce a booklet called 'Working with arthritis' which you can download from the website under the publications menu. This may give you some idea about help that you may be entitled to.

Again it may help you to give us a call with a few more details so that we can point you in the right direction.

Have a good weekend

Simona