MATTRESS??

Options
annmariedalziel
annmariedalziel Member Posts: 7
edited 25. Jan 2009, 16:12 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
Ive just joined the group as my hubby has had RA for 5 years.He copes reasonably well.My first question is what kind of mattress would be best for our bed.He seems to have a sore back and we are not sure if its his condition or the condition of the bed!!
Any advice would be good.
Ann Marie

Comments

• jools22
    jools22 Member Posts: 20
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    Ive just joined the group as my hubby has had RA for 5 years.He copes reasonably well.My first question is what kind of mattress would be best for our bed.He seems to have a sore back and we are not sure if its his condition or the condition of the bed!!
    Ann Marie

Hi annmarie..!!
    I found that a foam mattress is soft and accomodates well to my body, I am a bit"cuddly" :oops: I've tried everything... fom futons to spring mattresses and none was OK, my back ached and my hips did not allowed to sleep... I've got mine from Ikea ( I do not know if I can say this ) but as they are covered in a good material they are not hot in summer.. Their price is reasonable good, the only problem is that your bed need to be 2 mts long ( these Sweds are too tall ) and maybe your existing bed is average 1.90 mts . check that out. memory foam mattresses are too expensive, and is best try with a normal foam first. I am so confy now, that I do not want to go on hols or visiting, because I will miss my bed :roll:
    Ahh! a good ergonomic pillow ( also there ) is essential for a good sleep, check that out also.
    Good luck and good dreams
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello, If your husband is developing pressure sores, it may be a good idea to see an occupational therapist before buying anything, you can be refered by a district nurse, gp etc. I have worked as a care assistant with disabled, and know they can offer help with things like that. Hope this is helpful Suexxx
  • annmariedalziel
    Options
    jools22 wrote:
    Hi
    Ann Marie

Hi annmarie..!!
    I found that a foam mattress is soft and accomodates well to my body, I am a bit"cuddly" :oops: I've tried everything... fom futons to spring mattresses and none was OK, my back ached and my hips did not allowed to sleep... I've got mine from Ikea ( I do not know if I can say this ) but as they are covered in a good material they are not hot in summer.. Their price is reasonable good, the only problem is that your bed need to be 2 mts long ( these Sweds are too tall ) and maybe your existing bed is average 1.90 mts . check that out. memory foam mattresses are too expensive, and is best try with a normal foam first. I am so confy now, that I do not want to go on hols or visiting, because I will miss my bed :roll:
    Ahh! a good ergonomic pillow ( also there ) is essential for a good sleep, check that out also.
    Good luck and good dreams

Thanks for that..........thers an Ikea near us and also Dreams have got a sale on!!!So off we go..x
  • annmariedalziel
    Options
    woodbon wrote:
    Hello, If your husband is developing pressure sores, it may be a good idea to see an occupational therapist before buying anything, you can be refered by a district nurse, gp etc. I have worked as a care assistant with disabled, and know they can offer help with things like that. Hope this is helpful Suexxx

Hi..........hes fine,no pressure sores.Hes never still for long.He attends the gym and keeps generally very well/Just sore sometimes and fatigued!!
    Thanks x :P
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi Sorry, misunderstood the word 'sore' :oops: :oops: :oops:. Sounds as if your husband VERY active :!: As regards the mattress, I have a memory foam topper and pillow, which I love, we didn't change the mattress as it was only a year old, but if I did I would go for the memory foam one. Sue xxx
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Hi, during my diagnosis Monday, the surgeon recommended I get a "good mattress". I asked him to elaborate, he said something firm and that memory foam, toppers were good. We just ordered a Silent Night Miracoil mattress which is firm, alot of sites now have reviews of the products on them. We went for this one as all the reviews were from people with bad backs or back problems and said the mattress was great. It gets delivered 6th Feb and I'm counting down the days!